Mrs. Theresa

Flexibility in the poverty guidelines?

9 posts in this topic

I'm a bit ahead of myself but, I'm trying to figure my options so that I can establish a plan!

In the very near future(once he naturalizes), we will be sponsoring a family of 9.

That consists of my husband(will be USC w/in a few months) and I(USC) Plus, his mother will be sponsored and she will then sponsor 6 siblings. 9 total.

The current poverty guidelines for a household of 9 is currently $51,182. My husband and I are a few thousand short of that :crying:

Unfortunately, we currently only make enough to satisfy the affidavit of support for only 7 people.

When the mother is arrives, she will immediately file I-130s for the 6 kids. Although, she will also find work immediately. How long after she files the I-130s will the affidavit of support for the additional 6 kids be requested?

We are hoping that the lengthy visa wait for the kids will work out to our advantage. We're hoping that she can work for ATLEAST a year before the affidavit of support is requested so that we can combine her newly earned income/I-864 along with my husband and my I-864As. That should allow us enough time and income to reach the poverty guidelines for all 9.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

Thanks.

Edited by Mrs. Theresa

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Are all the siblings under 21 , are they single and childless ? Remeber that if they come and have family that will up the counts of people you need to sponsor

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Are all the siblings under 21 , are they single and childless ? Remeber that if they come and have family that will up the counts of people you need to sponsor

They are single, under 21, they have no kids. The scenario is exactly as mentioned, for now atleast....9 people.

Edited by Mrs. Theresa

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The affidavit of support won't be needed until the visas are available.

I believe that will be around 4 years after the mom's petitions for the children are approved as they would be classified as F2A.

Edited by Anh map

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I'm a bit ahead of myself but, I'm trying to figure my options so that I can establish a plan!

In the very near future(once he naturalizes), we will be sponsoring a family of 9.

That consists of my husband(will be USC w/in a few months) and I(USC) Plus, his mother will be sponsored and she will then sponsor 6 siblings. 9 total.

The current poverty guidelines for a household of 9 is currently $51,182. My husband and I are a few thousand short of that :crying:

Unfortunately, we currently only make enough to satisfy the affidavit of support for only 7 people.

When the mother is arrives, she will immediately file I-130s for the 6 kids. Although, she will also find work immediately. How long after she files the I-130s will the affidavit of support for the additional 6 kids be requested?

We are hoping that the lengthy visa wait for the kids will work out to our advantage. We're hoping that she can work for ATLEAST a year before the affidavit of support is requested so that we can combine her newly earned income/I-864 along with my husband and my I-864As. That should allow us enough time and income to reach the poverty guidelines for all 9.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

Thanks.

for now, there is more than 3 years of waiting as of the May visa bulletin.

also, you don't know what the poverty guidelines will be in 4 years, if the visa bulletin continues to be like this.

nobody knows also what the visa bulletin will be like.

currently the wait is more than 3 years, they are working on 2007, asuming your family is from Jamaica.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Some of them will probably age out so it may not be quite that bad.

I could not help think of the Medical Insurance monthly bill, ouch.

Is it realistic that the Mother can get a job?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Not too easy to get a job currently, lots of threads about it.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

All good points! She will work. Why wouldn't she?

I personally don't think you are looking at the big picture. A lot can happen in your and your husband life within the next 4 year. You'll can add additional family members to your own family. Your MIL must be up in age, she might not find a job or be able to work. There are so many things that could way-lay these best laid plans that you'll will have. Within the next 4 years, are you saying that not one of the siblings will be over the age of 21. That's out of 9 children?

I am not one to tell anyone that they can't accomplish something, but there is more to this than just getting the MIL over here if she still have babies in Jamaica to care for.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.