Yodrak

English Language Proficiency

45 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I'm wondering if this is a natural occurance with age or I'm just going senile? :unsure:

yes :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm wondering if this is a natural occurance with age or I'm just going senile? :unsure:

yes :P

I don't mind forgetting some things...but I was hoping for a more selective memory loss. :P

Filed: Country: Guyana
Timeline

Well, I just HAD to post something here.

My husband is studying to take his GED, going to pre-GED classes. We went in to sign up for one of the tests, and I picked up some brochures. If you can believe this, it actually said IN the brochure, that only 60% of high school graduates would be able to pass the GED tests!

I can believe it, considering 1) the time factor, and 2) some of the questions that I have read in his pre GED testing booklet are way beyond my doing in a 15 minute period, let alone 1 1/2 minutes that are allotted for each question. (i.e. probably couldnt do them at all) :)

I graduated high school with straight A's, and in the Honor Society, yet failed all the sample GED tests on the internet except for the science one. Sigh...back to the books...

Edited by thndrdancr

Timeline

May 15th Lake arrived NYC on tourist visa

6-15-05 Flew NCY to "fetch" Lake for visit here

8-17-05 He Proposed!

8-24-05 MARRIED!

9- 1-05 - SENT AOS, EAD, AP, & ETC

9-12-05 NOA1 - FOR I-130, I-145, & AP, EAD

10-5-05 RFE for Birth C. & medical

10-24-05 GOT LEARNERS PERMIT

11-3-05 DRIVERS LICENSE :)

11-16-05 overnited RFE

11-17-05 Rcvd NOA2 for EAD, bio set for 12-5-05

11-25-05 Recvd AOS bio letter, apptmt for 12-14-05

12-5-05 Biometrics (they did BOTH!)

Infopass, got temp EAD, AP no luck

12-6-05 Applied for SSN, not in system

12-10-05 AP finally arrives!

12-11-05 1 year EAD card!

12-23-05 Interview letter arrives! 3-3-06

1-17-06 SSN arrives!!

3-3-06 Interview-APPROVED! Passport stamped :)

3-14-06 Green card arrives!

• 3 months later...
Filed: Timeline

America has f---ed up vaules and if we keep on this path all we will have is the weapons that we had Japan make. This is a very sad trend and I think that it needs to stop now. I have been taking college course for every and the standards range from different areas of the country, however being from Texas we are taught the essay format and the test, so I sometimes have problems with different types of writing. But this one school that I attend now is like killer. They are very sent on writing even in a stupid math class. Since when can they require eassys on math theoreies and also take off for grammar.

إركا

[

They are very [set] on writing even in a stupid math class. Since when can they require eassys on math theoreies and also take off for grammar.

That's hilarious!!! You'd better get someone to proof your essays... :thumbs:

[CLICK HERE] - MANILA EMBASSY K1 VISA GUIDE (Review Post #1)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ Acronyms and USCIS Form Definitions (A Handy Reference Tool)

Manila Embassy K1 Visa Information

4.2 National Visa Center (NVC) | (603) 334-0700 press 1, then 5....

4.3 Manila Embassy (Immigrant Visa Unit) | 011-632-301-2000 ext 5184 or dial 0

4.4 Department of State | (202) 663-1225, press 1, press 0,

4.5 Document Verification | CLICK HERE

4.6 Visa Interview Appointments website | CLICK HERE

4.7 St. Lukes | 011-63-2-521-0020

5.1 DELBROS website | CLICK HERE

6.2 CFO Guidance and Counseling Seminar | MANILA or CEBU

6.3 I-94 Arrival / Departure info | CLICK HERE

Adjustment of Status (AOS) Information

Please review the signature and story tab of my wife's profile, [Deputy Uling].

DISCLAIMER: Providing information does not constitute legal consul nor is intended as a substitute for legal representation.

Timeline

I partially chose my college major (English!) based on how few MATH credits were required. :lol:

I was a math major so I wouldn't have to take English classes! :lol:

Doh! Who dug out this old thread?

Edited by Steven_and_Jinky

I teach at a university level, and while my students are the cream of the cream, they often suffer from a very poor ear for language and inability to structure an argument.

I'm in philosophy, so my talents and teaching duties lie mostly in the latter, but when students ask how to improve their voice, I usually tell them to go read Dostoevsky or Rushdie. (Often said as 'If you're writing on Kant, for the love of little apples and my sanity, please, outline your paper, and then go read something that isn't Kant so you don't pick up his style and I don't have pull out my hair.')

I firmly believe that writing ability correlates directly with a love of reading.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Timeline
I teach at a university level, and while my students are the cream of the cream, they often suffer from a very poor ear for language and inability to structure an argument.

I'm in philosophy, so my talents and teaching duties lie mostly in the latter, but when students ask how to improve their voice, I usually tell them to go read Dostoevsky or Rushdie. (Often said as 'If you're writing on Kant, for the love of little apples and my sanity, please, outline your paper, and then go read something that isn't Kant so you don't pick up his style and I don't have pull out my hair.')

I firmly believe that writing ability correlates directly with a love of reading.

:yes: Philosophy? That's awesome! I took some philosophy courses while studying art - it was my painting teacher who highly recommended anyone getting an art degree to take philosophy. I still have some of the essays my professor gave me - one that really impressed me was Kierkegard (sp) on Linguistics...or was it Wittgenstein? :P My professor was fond of Nietzche and he referred to himself as a Deconstructionist. He was from Brown University and originally wanted to teach History but he later became very critical of the modern historians.

Kierkegaard wrote about faith primarily. Wittgenstein is the language games guy. I think everyone should take a philosophy class, first that I stay employed, and second, so I don't have to read dumb arguments in the political sphere.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I taught undergrad writing when I was in college and the training seminar required us to research some aspect of the program or our job or whatever. I did the teaching of style, and I decided that ultimately it's sort of impossible. Really it is all about reading and reading and reading. Oh, and being brought up in an upper-middle-class home that speaks standard American English. That helps too. Caladan, can't you just send them to the Writing Center?

PS Re: Wittgenstein: He published a children's language book of some sort. (I'm blanking on the word for this kind of book..baa...) but I really, really want to find it. If anyone knows of one, PLEASE let me know. (Public message board, can't hurt)

Timeline
Kierkegaard wrote about faith primarily. Wittgenstein is the language games guy. I think everyone should take a philosophy class, first that I stay employed, and second, so I don't have to read dumb arguments in the political sphere.

Mind if I call you Bruce? :P

Immanuel Kant was a real pissant

who was very rarely stable.

Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar

who could think you under the table.

David Hume could out consume

Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel,

And Wittgenstein was a beery swine

who was just as sloshed as Schlegel.

There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach ya

'bout the raisin' of the wrist.

Socrates himself was permanently pissed.

John Stuart Mill, of his own free will,

after half a pint of shandy was particularly ill.

Plato, they say, could stick it away,

'alf a crate of whiskey every day!

Aristotle, Aristotle was a ####### for the bottle,

and Hobbes was fond of his Dram.

And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart:

"I drink, therefore I am."

Yes, Socrates himself is particularly missed;

A lovely little thinker, but a ####### when he's pissed.

-- Monty Python

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Funny, Y -- I partially chose my college major (English!) based on how few MATH credits were required. :lol:

Well this explains why you and I get along. LOL

I married a math person. So it's all good. :lol:

Electricity is really just organized lightning.

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

I'm sorry. I know it's not nice to make fun of people's grammar and spelling.....

But DAYUM at some of the posts in this thread....... :o :o :o they just illustrate the seriousness of the problem so completely.....

Ah dunt now whut tha problum iz butt DAYUM juss DAYUM

*shakes head*

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I have always said that until something is done to elavate a teachers pay to point where they can raise a family and not struggle our educational system will continue to harbour bitter people with good intentions. Yes I know there are good teachers who do the things they do making very little money. I am not talking about making them all rich but I am talking about a reasonable wage to help them live their lives.

My solution? Have every professional athlete adopt a school to suppliment the schoold budget for staff pay and educational materials.

Also it is not just the educational system it is parents also. My parents were very involved in my education, from what I see of the parents today the extent of their interest is, "Did you finish your homework?". With no follow up or real interest. Granted there are parents out there that care and take an interest but from what I have seen there are many that dont.

Paul

Having several members of my family in the teaching profession I can tell you it is not the teachers fault but rather the adminitrators at the local and state level.

In Mass we now have all these tests that are given to the students in various classes to determine if they are doing well. The administrators want their schools to show progress so the whole year is spent getting the students ready for that test. They go over and over the questons, drilling the informatio into the student. Only the questions nothing ele. I this teaching? i am afraid not but it makes the school and the state administrators look good.

filed 129 with vermont 4/19/06

first notice 5/3/06?

IMRA RFE 6/19/06

snail mail RFE 6/22/06

returned 6/22/06

email they recieved 6/26/06

second RFE email 7/11/06

recieved 7/22

returned 7/24

touched 7/25

APProved 10/02/06

NVC sent to Moscow 10/17/06

package from Embassy 11/17/06

interview 01/11/07

approved visa 01/11/07

arrived 02/7/07

married 04/13/07

filed AOS 05/13/07

biometrics 06/06/07

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

Caladan, I absolutely believe you're correct about the writing/reading association. I received many compliments from my teacher and classmates alike on my essays. I didn't grow up with a television, (my parents' religious reasons), and so I read a LOT. I still LOVE to read...in fact, when I come off here I'm going to read for a while. :) M.

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)