Udella&Wiz

Passport card too?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

For anyone who applied for both the passport and the card, have you found the card useful? Have you used it for travel within the US when flying or as a useful piece of id otherwise?

Just trying to decide if I should have both....I don't drive, although I have a state id. but it sounds useful.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Passport card is useful for ground crossing, however I think full passport is needed when flying.

PURPOSE

The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.

http://travel.state...._card_3926.html

Some states also offer an enhanced driving license that can be used this way at the ground crossings.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

For anyone who applied for both the passport and the card, have you found the card useful? Have you used it for travel within the US when flying or as a useful piece of id otherwise?

Just trying to decide if I should have both....I don't drive, although I have a state id. but it sounds useful.

Most states bordering Canada and Mexico offer enhanced drivers licenses which allow you to do the same thing. The only thing it's really useful for (assuming you already have a passport book) is driving across the border on a whim. However, I'm not a big fan of having more pieces of identify than necessary -- losing your wallet with a passport card in it would be an even bigger nightmare than normal. Just my 2 cents.

A bit off topic...but I got the NEXUS pass, best $50 I ever spent, I never have to wait in the lines anymore!

***Removing Conditions***

Submitted I-751: March 4, 2011

Check cashed: March 10, 2011

NOA1: March 8, 2011

Biometrics Appt: April 21, 2011

Early Bio Walk-in: April 7, 2011

Approved: September 7, 2011

Filed: Other Timeline

Since you asked, the passport card is the most important $25 you ever spend in your lifetime.

Why?

As a natural born USC, you can prove your status as a USC by ordering a birth certificate for about $11 as often as you like. You'll have it shortly after.

As a naturalized USC, your Certificate of Naturalization is the equivalent to the birth certificate. If you lose or misplace it, it will not only cost $345 but take anywhere from 12 to 21 months (1 to 2 years!) to replace it.

Thus, it belongs in the bank safe as a last resort disaster backup in case a Tsunami, Earthquake, or wildfire consumed your house and everything in it. If you have nothing left but the clothes on your body, good luck getting a new passport, driver's license or ATM or credit card.

Thus, you will use your passport as a proof of US citizenship. The book is at the safest place at home, unless you travel internationally which is when you have it with you. If you are in a massage parlor in Bangkok and lose your passport, it's nice to have some form of ID with you, which is where the passport card comes into play.

Once you have that, you keep it at a different place than your passport book. I have mine in a document safe at work in my office. Thus, I have 3 independent proofs of citizenship, of which I only use the card, i.e, when going to the SSA, or the DMV, or when I travel to Canada or Mexico or perhaps even Georgia.

What you want to avoid under all and any circumstances is that you have to mail you Certificate of Naturalization again, ever again. If you only have a passport book and lose or damage it, that can happen. If you also have a passport card, it won't.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

A bit off topic...but I got the NEXUS pass, best $50 I ever spent, I never have to wait in the lines anymore!

I am planning on getting one as well Moosker. I was in Calgary Airport last Christmas and said never am I planning on standing in a customs line for over an hour again lol. I will research how to get one once I have my naturalization in place.

Since you asked, the passport card is the most important $25 you ever spend in your lifetime.

Why?

As a natural born USC, you can prove your status as a USC by ordering a birth certificate for about $11 as often as you like. You'll have it shortly after.

As a naturalized USC, your Certificate of Naturalization is the equivalent to the birth certificate. If you lose or misplace it, it will not only cost $345 but take anywhere from 12 to 21 months (1 to 2 years!) to replace it.

Thus, it belongs in the bank safe as a last resort disaster backup in case a Tsunami, Earthquake, or wildfire consumed your house and everything in it. If you have nothing left but the clothes on your body, good luck getting a new passport, driver's license or ATM or credit card.

Thus, you will use your passport as a proof of US citizenship. The book is at the safest place at home, unless you travel internationally which is when you have it with you. If you are in a massage parlor in Bangkok and lose your passport, it's nice to have some form of ID with you, which is where the passport card comes into play.

Once you have that, you keep it at a different place than your passport book. I have mine in a document safe at work in my office. Thus, I have 3 independent proofs of citizenship, of which I only use the card, i.e, when going to the SSA, or the DMV, or when I travel to Canada or Mexico or perhaps even Georgia.

What you want to avoid under all and any circumstances is that you have to mail you Certificate of Naturalization again, ever again. If you only have a passport book and lose or damage it, that can happen. If you also have a passport card, it won't.

Good points as I too was wondering if I should order both the card and book. Now I know, thanks.

Edited by Leafgal

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

Why?

I stand corrected. I never thought about it like that... Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

SOLD!

Just Bob - you convinced me to get a passport card.

Now, my next question, do you think the timeframe for passport expedition is really what they say? 4-6 weeks is what I need, but if it takes 8 weeks I might be in trouble as I need to travel. However, the difference in price is $60.

02/2001 - Met in Europe

08/2004 - Moved to USA

08/2007 - Married in Brazil

09/2007 - Submitted AOS to VSC

12/2007 - AOS approved

09/2009 - Submitted I-751 to CSC

10/2009 - ROC approved (1 month 2 days from receipt date)

12/2010 - Submitted N400

01/2011 - Biometrics (twice)

02/2011 - Citizenship Interview and Civics Test

04/2011 - Oath Ceremony/American Citizen

SOLD!

Now, my next question, do you think the timeframe for passport expedition is really what they say? 4-6 weeks is what I need, but if it takes 8 weeks I might be in trouble as I need to travel. However, the difference in price is $60.

Like I did I applied last 3-22 then within 7 days I check my status online is in process. Ive waited 10 more days finally got my NC with PassBook In separate mailed then 2 days after Passport card was recieved Both are $165

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

SOLD!

Wife felt insecure without a passport, so we paid the extra 60 bucks, stepdaughter still has another five months to go, so saved that extra money. But if concerned, call the DOS, they will expedite it for you.

Suppose if we lived in Detroit driving to Canada everyday to work, or looked Mexican in Arizona, would have paid the extra 90 bucks for the three of us, but we don't fit in that catagory.

Last time I had to show my birth certificate was when I was drafted, it was misplaced over the years, never even thought about it until I met my wife. Never even thought about it, never even heard of the USCIS either all those years, never was asked to see my birth certificate. Even ask many of my friends if they even heard of the USCIS, none of them have.

Just feel one gets paranoid dealing with the USCIS.

Like I said before, wife only had to show here green card twice, for the DMV and her job, but those are our state rules, for the DMV, could have just said she was a US citizen. Same with my daughter, but school instead of a job. Since she just had minimum wage jobs, never even asked her about citizenship.

You can bet border crossings between Canada and the USA are going to be a lot tougher as airline travel as they are now saying drugs are coming into the USA via Canada. But any drug dealer would be an idiot to try those, when they have another 3,000 miles of unprotected border to cross. The legal ones will be paying the price for that with even longer delays.

Filed: Other Timeline

Well,

I got my passport book in 170 minutes and my card arrived in the mail at day 13. I did spend the extra $60 bucks though. If you really have a flight booked, $60 extra doesn't sound so very bad, does it?

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

Well,

I got my passport book in 170 minutes and my card arrived in the mail at day 13. I did spend the extra $60 bucks though. If you really have a flight booked, $60 extra doesn't sound so very bad, does it?

According to the latest DOS processing dates, that 60 bucks will buy you a week or two, if you can believe the DOS processing dates. We weren't in that much of a rush. 60 bucks here and 60 bucks there adds up quickly.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Maybe a bit off topic but maybe JB or Nick can answer a couple of q's for me. My wife had her oath ceremony yesterday, 4/13. We have this shiny new certificate and I need to apply for a passport. My understanding is that the actual certificate needs to be sent in to apply for the passport. So, here are the questions. I will make a copy of the certificate before I even consider mailing it anywhere first of all.

1. Will the passport agency fold the certificate when they send it back?

2. Can I take the certicate to DC and apply for the same day passport to keep the certificate in it's original state or will my wife need to be present to apply for a passport. I can get there cheaply so thought I might just go do it if possible.

Thanks,

LS

Edited by LastSurvivor

08.15.2005 Mailed I-129F USPS

01.11.2006 P.O.E Seattle. Welcome to the U.S.A.

02.10.2006 Married

AOS Journey

03.27.2006 I-485 Mailed

08.21.2006 Green Card Arrivesl

11.19.2006 Emma is born

Removing Conditions

07.07.2008 I-751 Mailed

04.30.2009 Date of Decision: Approved

05.14.2010 Lilly is born

Citizenship: The Final Chapter

10.26.2010 N-400 Mailed

11.02.2010 NOA

11.05.2010 Biometrics Letter

11.10.2010 Biometrics Completed (walk-in)

04.13.2011 Interview

04.13.2011 Oath

Timeline

Maybe a bit off topic but maybe JB or Nick can answer a couple of q's for me. My wife had her oath ceremony yesterday, 4/13. We have this shiny new certificate and I need to apply for a passport. My understanding is that the actual certificate needs to be sent in to apply for the passport. So, here are the questions. I will make a copy of the certificate before I even consider mailing it anywhere first of all.

1. Will the passport agency fold the certificate when they send it back?

2. Can I take the certicate to DC and apply for the same day passport to keep the certificate in it's original state or will my wife need to be present to apply for a passport. I can get there cheaply so thought I might just go do it if possible.

Thanks,

LS

I put ours in a protected stiff plastic folder, they honored that. But what about your mailbox? I live in an area with my mailbox on the street, so installed a large one where the mailman has no reason to fold it. But if you live in an apartment complex, have a talk with your postman.

Your wife has to show up in person for her passport, regardless of at a service center or an agent. At the service center, have to bring an airline ticket with you showing you are traveling within two weeks. We don't make these rules, just have to abide by them. Where do I get these strange ideas our government is run by the people? Oh, I remember, was on the civics test my wife and stepdaughter had to study for.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thanks Nick. I did some research and they supposedly "try" to keep the document in it's original state but I did note that their disclaimer said it could have a fold in it or a few staple holes. I figure if it can happen it most likely will. Still going to take the chance and ship it off I think. We do have some things to take care of in DC so thought we might just do that and get our daughters Thai passports all in DC and just make a day trip.

LS

08.15.2005 Mailed I-129F USPS

01.11.2006 P.O.E Seattle. Welcome to the U.S.A.

02.10.2006 Married

AOS Journey

03.27.2006 I-485 Mailed

08.21.2006 Green Card Arrivesl

11.19.2006 Emma is born

Removing Conditions

07.07.2008 I-751 Mailed

04.30.2009 Date of Decision: Approved

05.14.2010 Lilly is born

Citizenship: The Final Chapter

10.26.2010 N-400 Mailed

11.02.2010 NOA

11.05.2010 Biometrics Letter

11.10.2010 Biometrics Completed (walk-in)

04.13.2011 Interview

04.13.2011 Oath

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.