NatalieC

dual citizenship

27 posts in this topic

hey all, it has been forever since i have been here, but in filling out my naturalization papers, ive come across a question.

I want to retain my Canadian citizenship. I know the oath specifically states you renounce your connections to any other country.

On the form, there are 2 questions.

Part 10 , section H

Q35 says "do you understand the full oath of allegiance of the united states." I checked Yes.

Q36 is "are you willing to take the full oath of allegiance of the united states" I've checked No.

on my extra paper, i have written something to the tune of "I want to have dual citizenship and do not want to give up my Canadian Citizenship. i do not wish to say ' i absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegience ... yadda yadda yadda. "

im wondering if this is necessary at all.

are there any other Canadians here that have successfully filed for American citizenship getting dual, while checking Yes in that box?

is checking No ok as long as i say it is because i want dual citizenship?

thanks for any help!

-Natalie and Brian in Lebanon, Ohio

i%20am%20canadian.JPG

Want to see my K1 visa timeline? Click Here

Want to see my AOS timeline? (quick version below)

07-08-05 Mailed AOS packet

12-12-05 AOS approved; no interview

12-17-05 Green card recieved + Welcome letter.

WHERE WE ARE NOW Filing for Citizenship

10 Yr GC petition

11-20-07 I-751 Pkg mailed to Nebraska (here we go again)

11-23-07 Confirmed delivered to PO Box

11-23-07 NOA 1 date

12-07-07 NOA 1 Received in the mail

Our case is now at the Cali SC. The 6 month timer ticks.

12-12-07 Biometrics appointment notice recieved

01-03-08 Biometrics

01-04-08 Online Case status 'last updated'

01-06-08 Online Case status 'last updated'

03-19-08 Online Case status 'last updated'

On March 18, 2008, we ordered production of your new card. Please allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you.

03-24-08 Online Case status 'last updated'

On March 22, 2008, we mailed you a notice that we have approved this CRI89 PETITION TO REMOVE CONDITIONS OF PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS RECEIVED.

~~~~~~

34e1c26.jpg Y!: natalie_c81 AIM: pdd4me81 MSN: nataliec81

you need an answer specific to Canada... moving thread to regional forum

Thanks :) didnt know if that was appropriate since others would / could still know that answer/ also apply for dual citizenship(unless canada is the only country where you can do that now....)

i%20am%20canadian.JPG

10 Yr GC petition

11-23-07 NOA 1 date

01-03-08 Biometrics

On March 18, 2008, we ordered production of your new card. Please allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you.

On March 22, 2008, we mailed you a notice that we have approved this CRI89 PETITION TO REMOVE CONDITIONS OF PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS RECEIVED.

~~~~~~

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

you don't apply for dual nationality... the question is will you retain your Canadian citizenship... so it is not a US citizen question per se, but one specific to your Canadian citizenship...

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

No one applies for dual citizenship. You are applying for US citizenship.

The US doesn't encourage dual nationals, but does recognize that it exists.

FWIW see this from the State Dept. website >> http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

the question is will you retain your Canadian citizenship... so it is not a US citizen question per se, but one specific to your Canadian citizenship...

i sort of disagree. the answers i get from people help me finish filling out my citizenship papers-- any person wishing to retain their original citizenship (that is allowed) would technically be able to answer this question. I wont be mailing the papers off until im confident in my yes/no answer.

However ive phrased my original post a bit oddly. If had a rough day of paperwork and my brain is not working quite right at the moment.

Either way, i hope i can get some good answers :) and appreciate you moving the thread. Have a great night!

i%20am%20canadian.JPG

10 Yr GC petition

11-23-07 NOA 1 date

01-03-08 Biometrics

~~~~~~

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

To loose (renounce)your Cdn Citizenship one actually has to fill out a form and pay$$$$ http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/renounce-how.asp

so even though during the Naturalization ceremony you renounce other citizenships, in the case of Canada, one does NOT!! Quite simply the USA sees you just as a USA citizen. Canada sees you as a Cdn and USA citizen!!

I'm fairly confident i put yes to both.

Edited by Flames9_RN

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

i sort of disagree. the answers i get from people help me finish filling out my citizenship papers-- any person wishing to retain their original citizenship (that is allowed) would technically be able to answer this question. I wont be mailing the papers off until im confident in my yes/no answer.

However ive phrased my original post a bit oddly. If had a rough day of paperwork and my brain is not working quite right at the moment.

Either way, i hope i can get some good answers :) and appreciate you moving the thread. Have a great night!

You need to fully understand the USA's stance on dual nationality...

YMMV

FWIW see this from the State Dept. website >> http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

yes i realize that, i never mentioned i was applying for dual citizenship, just that i wanted to retain my CND and become a dual citizen.

And thanks for the link! Exactly the type of article i was looking for!

To loose (renounce)your Cdn Citizenship one actually has to fill out a form and pay$$$$ http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/renounce-how.asp

so even though during the Naturalization ceremony you renounce other citizenships, in the case of Canada, one does NOT!! Quite simply the USA sees you just as a USA citizen. Canada sees you as a Cdn and USA citizen!!

I'm fairly confident i put yes to both.

perfect, thank you! I didnt realize you had to pay to renounce. Silly me and taking the words id have to say for what they sounded like they meant!

i%20am%20canadian.JPG

10 Yr GC petition

11-23-07 NOA 1 date

01-03-08 Biometrics

~~~~~~

Timeline

yes i realize that, i never mentioned i was applying for dual citizenship, just that i wanted to retain my CND and become a dual citizen.

And thanks for the link! Exactly the type of article i was looking for!

perfect, thank you! I didnt realize you had to pay to renounce. Silly me and taking the words id have to say for what they sounded like they meant!

There are many that have dual or more Nationalities!! Just keep in mind the USA will only see you as a USA citizen. So when you enter the USA from another country, you have to provide ur USA passport

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

You need to fully understand the USA's stance on dual nationality...

sigh, i do.

anyhow, i got my answer, and appreciate all of the help and how quickly it came about!

The choice is, ultimately, your own. This is something many Canadians have had to deal with, including me. I disliked some of the words of the US Oath of Allegiance - not because I was any less committed to fulfilling my obligations as a US citizen - but because I do not see a conflict in having citizenship in both countries. I am choosing to add the US citizenship to who I am, not taking away my Canadian citizenship from who I am. This, in its very essence, defines the major difference between the two countries: for the US everything is black and white - either/or - for us or agin' us, win-lose; in Canada we understand that there are varying degrees of gray, that you give a little and take a little, and that things don't have to be win-lose - they can be win-win instead.

If you want US citizenship you need to answer yes to that question. Only you can decide if you are able to honour two masters - the US and Canada.

thank you kathryn, well said. my packet is getting sealed up and mailed monday :)

i%20am%20canadian.JPG

10 Yr GC petition

11-23-07 NOA 1 date

01-03-08 Biometrics

~~~~~~

Timeline

sigh, i do.

now maybe, but I don't think you did, because if you had, you would have understood how both those questions needed to be answered on your petition in relationship to obtaining US citizenship.

YMMV

There are many that have dual or more Nationalities!! Just keep in mind the USA will only see you as a USA citizen. So when you enter the USA from another country, you have to provide ur USA passport

thanks! i knew this one, that id need my Canadian one for entering and and the US one to enter back in the USA.

i%20am%20canadian.JPG

10 Yr GC petition

11-23-07 NOA 1 date

01-03-08 Biometrics

~~~~~~

Timeline

thanks! i knew this one, that id need my Canadian one for entering and and the US one to enter back in the USA.

You can use the USA passport to enter Canada as well. Not every one keeps two passports.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.