Happy75

Do you know anyone who was Denied AOS after marriage?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

In this incredibly long wait for an interview at the Montreal Consulate (after a 6 month wait at VSC for NOA2) for our K1 I end up thinking a lot about this topic. I know people who have come to the U.S. and married on tourist visas, adjusted status and stayed successfully. After all this time and money and having to deal with this amazingly overcomplicated, stressful, and lengthy process I have yet to see or hear about someone who has been rejected for marrying on a tourist visa and deported or what have you. Does anyone have a story to share about an actual denial? I decided to do things the right way (K1) and am feeling like I am being punished for it by having to be away from my fiancee for so long. At this point I wouldn't recommend the K1 I would just point out the options and supposed risks in going the marriage and AOS route. It would be nice to know that there are actually risks and not just hearsay.

Thanks for sharing.

Sent I129-F to Vermont Service Center- 7/23/10

NOA1- 7/29/10

NOA2- 1/26/11

Case sent to Montreal Consulate General of the United States, Visa Unit 1/31/11

Consulate received case from NVC 2/23/11

RFE-for Canadian proof of Status 2/23/11

Packet 3 received from consulate- 3/07/11

Packet 3 sent (2nd time after a correction)- 3/28/11

Packet 3 received by consulate/Packet 4 sent- 4/8/11

Interview-5/18/11

Visa received 6/16/11

You can only get away with that if you entered on a tourist visa legitimately.

You already started the K1 so they will know you had immigration intent when you entered and you will be denied AOS.

I know you were asking for real world experience with getting away with fraud but no one here is going to help you with that.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/292498-i-485-denied/

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/287242-marriage-based-aos-from-tourist-visa-possibly-denied-what-to-do/

I did a quick look through things and found these two topics.

I'm sure there are more.

You may want to do a search for 'AOS Denied'.

However, most of the reasons for denial seem to be:

- overstays

- affidavit of support

- criminal record

Basically, the same things that would deny a K-1 as well.

kitsig.jpg

K-1 Visa/ AOS Timeline:
(Detailed info on our timeline can be found here: About us)

ROC Timeline:

02/10/2014 - ROC Sent.

02/12/2014 - NOA1 Date.

03/11/2014 - Biometrics Date.

05/28/2014 - Card Production.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi,

In this incredibly long wait for an interview at the Montreal Consulate (after a 6 month wait at VSC for NOA2) for our K1 I end up thinking a lot about this topic. I know people who have come to the U.S. and married on tourist visas, adjusted status and stayed successfully. After all this time and money and having to deal with this amazingly overcomplicated, stressful, and lengthy process I have yet to see or hear about someone who has been rejected for marrying on a tourist visa and deported or what have you. Does anyone have a story to share about an actual denial? I decided to do things the right way (K1) and am feeling like I am being punished for it by having to be away from my fiancee for so long. At this point I wouldn't recommend the K1 I would just point out the options and supposed risks in going the marriage and AOS route. It would be nice to know that there are actually risks and not just hearsay.

Thanks for sharing.

hmmmm...actually, me either never heard anyone being denied from tourist visa getting married then AOS even if they intentionally entered to migrate in the US.

we keep on hearing people say its FRAUD, but i personally knew about 5 if not more friends and friends f friends that did obtain a tourist visa then flew to the US and got married after a couple of months and did AOS.

I have been reading around here for few months now and so far havent seen anyone posted of being denied on AOS from a tourist visa.

Me too would like to know the facts on this. not becoz im interested as im already almost at the end of my K1 myself but just to see how other options work out or lets say out of curiosity?

Edited by ERY

Earn a $15 Gift Card!http://refer.xoom.com/a/clk/2BjwkwUse ENJOYDEC code to send free :)

You can only get away with that if you entered on a tourist visa legitimately.

You already started the K1 so they will know you had immigration intent when you entered and you will be denied AOS.

I know you were asking for real world experience with getting away with fraud but no one here is going to help you with that.

I am not suggesting the OP deliberately commit fraud, but I do need to point out that your statement on already starting the K1 being an automatic denial is not true. I had started the K3/CR1 process when I came to visit my husband and I adjusted status with no issues.

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013

We thought about it often too...the 8 1/2 month wait apart from my wife was almost unbearable. You are lucky though, Canada isn't that far compared to many people on this forum (including myself) who have a big pond between themselves and their loved ones. We just thought of it like this...8 months in the grand scheme of a 30-50 year relationship is nothing. To us it was about keeping the big picture in mind and minimizing risk. There were too many "what if" scenarios if we would have tried to do AOS off of a VWP visit or even a tourist visa. Now that that chapter is finished for us I don't think we would have chosen a different route...we have our whole lives ahead of us now. I know it is very hard to really take these words on board while you are stuck in limbo/waiting mode (I was the same way) but, in our experience it was worth the wait! Good luck.

Timeline

Nickbits,

You misunderstood my post entirely. In NO way was I asking for help on how to get away with fraud. I'm sorry you got that impression. I was asking for stories about rejected cases to further reinforce my understanding that I made the right choice; and also for proof so I can better inform others that K1 is the way to go, especially those who ask me why I didn't just get married. I was looking for peace of mind or validation that I made the correct choice based on fact.

To everyone else- thanks for your help.

Sent I129-F to Vermont Service Center- 7/23/10

NOA1- 7/29/10

NOA2- 1/26/11

Case sent to Montreal Consulate General of the United States, Visa Unit 1/31/11

Consulate received case from NVC 2/23/11

RFE-for Canadian proof of Status 2/23/11

Packet 3 received from consulate- 3/07/11

Packet 3 sent (2nd time after a correction)- 3/28/11

Packet 3 received by consulate/Packet 4 sent- 4/8/11

Interview-5/18/11

Visa received 6/16/11

Filed: Other Timeline

I decided to do things the right way (K1) and am feeling like I am being punished for it by having to be away from my fiancee for so long.

Immigration is a bit like dating. The nice guys become "friends" with a charming girl eventually, whereas the bad boys get laid the same night. Nothing wrong with playing it safe, it may just take a bit longer.

:dance:

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Nickbits,

You misunderstood my post entirely. In NO way was I asking for help on how to get away with fraud. I'm sorry you got that impression. I was asking for stories about rejected cases to further reinforce my understanding that I made the right choice; and also for proof so I can better inform others that K1 is the way to go, especially those who ask me why I didn't just get married. I was looking for peace of mind or validation that I made the correct choice based on fact.

To everyone else- thanks for your help.

To me, it seemed like you are frustrated with the process and just want to skip ahead to the end. Sorry I misunderstood.

Good luck.

Edited by nickbits

Timeline
I was asking for stories about rejected cases to further reinforce my understanding that I made the right choice; and also for proof so I can better inform others that K1 is the way to go, especially those who ask me why I didn't just get married.

Man, whenever I'm chatting with people about how long this is taking and how terrible it is, I inevitably get asked, "why didn't you guys just get married in the first place?" and then I have to steel myself and remember we ARE doing this the right way and I end up explaining the issue of immigration intent to my friends and family... There are way too many risks to do it any other way but I'm with you - sometimes a little reassurance that we're not being masochistic about this helps.

April, 2009 - We met

May, 2009 - We wooed

June, 2010 - We got engaged, looking forward to a small August 2010 wedding

** Reality Check: K-1 Process**

July 22, 2010 - NOA1

**5 months of patient waiting**

December 29, 2011 - call around for information about delay

January 5, 2011 - RFE notice (first online status update yet!)

January 10, 2011 - RFE Hardcopy

January 13, 2011 - RFE Response acknowledged

January 24, 2011 - NOA2 (at last!!)

February 3, 2011 - application sent from NVC to Montreal (aka. the Abyss?)

March 7, 2011 - Packet 3 sent to me

March 10, 2011 - Packet 3 delivered to Montreal

March 21, 2011 - Packet 4 sent to me

April 5, 2011 - Medical

April 13, 2011 - Interview - approved!

April 20, 2011 - visa in hand

May 9, 2011 - POE (Buffalo, NY)

May 10, 2011 - wedding :)

Immigration is a bit like dating. The nice guys become "friends" with a charming girl eventually, whereas the bad boys get laid the same night. Nothing wrong with playing it safe, it may just take a bit longer.

:dance:

Waiting to hear if Bob was nice 'n nerdy or a down 'n dirty bad boy back in the day....? :reading:

Edited by Boing!

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You probably won't find many examples here on VJ because this site practically screams "GO THE K-1 VISA ROUTE" :lol:

And anyone who says they're going a different route was probably talked out of it by the members here.

I understand your frustration. So many of my family and friends said the same thing - why didn't you just get married and stay.

Basically, not going through a K-1 process is risky. You would be constantly unsure if they were going to deny you for entering the US on a tourist visa with the intent to immigrate (which is illegal). Yes I'm sure many people have been approved by doing that, but I'm sure many have been denied too. At least with the K-1 process, so long as you have crossed your t's and dotted your i's and have no major complications in your case, you can almost guarantee an approval.

It's about the peace of mind, knowing that you did it the right, legal way, and you don't have to worry.

01/09/09 - Sent I-129F

Visa Approved!

23/07/10 - Arrived in the U.S.

28/08/10 - Got Married

20/10/10 - Sent AOS

04/11/10 - InfoPass Appointment to request an Expedited AP

05/11/10 - Expedited AP Approved! RFE requested for AOS

01/02/11 - RFE sent

01/01/11 - RFE Received

01/12/11 - Biometrics taken

01/28/11 - EAD Approved

02/02/11 - AOS moved to CSC

03/07/11 - Greencard Approved!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.