ao_cons

Are affidvaits required?

37 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

The form says "should cover but not limited to the following examples." Does this mean affidavits by friends or people we know are mandatory? We already have lease, birth cert of child, auto and health insurance, bank statements, joint tax return and invoices showing stuff we bought and delivered to our address. Also bills and photos. Are affidavits still necessary? The wording isn't clear to me because it says "examples."

Also can we use copies of tax returns we have? Or do we ask IRS for some official document?

--------------

Copies of tax returns are fine. We provided an affidavit just to "beef up" our proof. It probably wasn't necessary, but it's worth it if you can get one. Also, it does not necessarily have to be notarized either.

***Removing Conditions***

Submitted I-751: March 4, 2011

Check cashed: March 10, 2011

NOA1: March 8, 2011

Biometrics Appt: April 21, 2011

Early Bio Walk-in: April 7, 2011

Approved: September 7, 2011

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

The form says "should cover but not limited to the following examples." Does this mean affidavits by friends or people we know are mandatory? We already have lease, birth cert of child, auto and health insurance, bank statements, joint tax return and invoices showing stuff we bought and delivered to our address. Also bills and photos. Are affidavits still necessary? The wording isn't clear to me because it says "examples."

Also can we use copies of tax returns we have? Or do we ask IRS for some official document?

Copies of tax returns may not be accepted. They prove you filled out forms. The requirement is tax transcripts which prove you filed with the IRS. Obtain the transcripts by calling IRS or on line. You can ask for them to mail or fax & the service is free. Takes about 10 days by mail. BKK is difficult about these things. Dont take a chance with copies.

Affidavits are not mandatory & can prove to be worthless because anyone could manufacture them. It doesnt hurt to try it but I dont think they value them in BKK. A notary simply verifies the signature on a document. They have nothing to do with content.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Affidavits are not required; if your evidence is solid you should be fine without them. We are not including any.

I ordered tax transcripts by calling 800-908-9946, (the automated answering system M-F 7-10.) Received them in a week.

Good luck!

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Copies of tax returns may not be accepted. They prove you filled out forms. The requirement is tax transcripts which prove you filed with the IRS. Obtain the transcripts by calling IRS or on line. You can ask for them to mail or fax & the service is free. Takes about 10 days by mail. BKK is difficult about these things. Dont take a chance with copies.

Affidavits are not mandatory & can prove to be worthless because anyone could manufacture them. It doesnt hurt to try it but I dont think they value them in BKK. A notary simply verifies the signature on a document. They have nothing to do with content.

The embassy/consulate does not matter for Removal of Conditions.

Affidavits are not required. It sounds like you have good evidence.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

We didn't send any affidavits with our I-751.

Throughout the process so far, we've used copies of our tax returns. They show they were prepared at a tax agency and signed for by us and them. I've never used the transcripts. Also, being self-employed, I feel better they have all the relevant information with my tax paperwork. Also, I sent in the documents we received showing our refund was deposited into our joint checking account electronically and also the letters from IRS when they lost our refund check, the year before.

Good luck to you. :)

Edited by Paul&Rochelle

♥ Removing Conditions ~ VSC ♥

I-751 Sent: 03/08/2011

I-751 Rec'd: 03/09/2011 (signed for by A. Stanley)

Check cashed: 03/14/2011

NOA1: 03/09/2011 (Rec'd 03/18/2011)

Biometrics: 04/15/2011 (Rec'd 03/31/2011)

Early Biometrics "Walk-in": 04/01/2011

Approved: 08/22/2011

10 Year Card Rec'd: 08/29/2011

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

We are about to file for our ROC. In the AOS stage our affidavits proved in a different way . As we didnt have appartment lease in both our names we did provide affidavits from three of her friends and her daughter and the words were very realistic e.g. how they felt about me at 1st and how it changed etc etc. All the affidavits said where we live and since when . They also provided the affidavit signer`s name, address and phone number. The officer in our interview did say that he was impressed by the affidavits and he did read them several times.

Now every case is different so if you do not provide any affidavit that does not mean it may bite you.Your evidence list is good enough.

Regarding IRS we provided transcripts. Here is the IRS site link with the details. It is simple, easy and free .

IRS transcript link

Hope this helps. Thank you. :star:

Edited by christera22

AOS
Married: June 9, 2008.
Visa expired : June 12, 2008
Filed for AOS . Sent through USPS Priority Express : March 03, 2009
Package Delieverd at USCIS: March 05, 2009
March 13, 2009 : Checks Cashed
March 13, 2009 : NOA 1 received on I-485, I-130, I-765. Dated March 11th, 09
March 17, 2009 : Biometrics Letter recieved (Dated 13th March). Interview on 1st week of April
April 2, 2009 : Biometrics done. Total time taken with wait 20 mins.
April 22, 2009 : Called USCIS. They have received fingerprints and work permit is in process.
May 7, 2009 : I-765 case online. Card Production ordered.
May 11,2009 : EAD card received.
May 12,2009 : Applied for SSN.
May 18,2009 : Received SS card.
June 08,2009 : Received Letter for Interview ( scheduled on July 14 th July )
July 14th : Great Interview. All done in 20 mins.
July 18th: Online status - Card Production ordered. Thank God !! I-130 online status : Pending
July 23rd : Welcome to USA & I-130 approval letter recieved. Online status still shows pending.
July 31st : Received conditional green card
Removing Condition
3/25/11 - Received reminder from USCIS to file for ROC
5/6/11 - Sent I-751 Packet to CSC via usps
5/9/11- Package delivered to csc.
5/11/11- Check cashed electronically by CSC
5/16/11- NOA 1 received
5/27/11 - Biometrics letter received.Scheduled on 06/06/11. Case Online
6/6/11 - Biometrics done
9/6/11 - Approved.Card Production Ordered
9/12/11- Card Received

Citizenship

10/13/15 : Sent N400

10/16/15 : NOA

11/13/15 : Fingerprints

11/17/15 : In Line for Interview

01/11/16 : Interview- Passed & Given Oath letter & Date by hand

01/14/16 : Oath Ceremony done & Naturalization Certificate in hand.Proud citizen of USA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

A quick question. What should we request for when calling the IRS transcript helpline? The Account transcript or the Return Transcript?

I called and the lady asked me this question. I am not sure.

IR5 For Parent

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

A quick question. What should we request for when calling the IRS transcript helpline? The Account transcript or the Return Transcript?

We requested both but are submitting the account transcripts because they show any amendments or changes that were made since the initial filing. We had no issues ordering both; they were happy to send them both. :)

Edited by OBX

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hi Saspk bhai ...ideally in the AOS stage we asked for both. They were happy to send both. Hope everythings going great at your end.

Thank you! Is there a fee for ordering the transcripts? Also how long after you file can you order them by phone?

Nope its free. As soon as your tax return has been processed, which, if processed electronically should take only about a day, you can order a tax transcript.

:dance:

Edited by christera22

AOS
Married: June 9, 2008.
Visa expired : June 12, 2008
Filed for AOS . Sent through USPS Priority Express : March 03, 2009
Package Delieverd at USCIS: March 05, 2009
March 13, 2009 : Checks Cashed
March 13, 2009 : NOA 1 received on I-485, I-130, I-765. Dated March 11th, 09
March 17, 2009 : Biometrics Letter recieved (Dated 13th March). Interview on 1st week of April
April 2, 2009 : Biometrics done. Total time taken with wait 20 mins.
April 22, 2009 : Called USCIS. They have received fingerprints and work permit is in process.
May 7, 2009 : I-765 case online. Card Production ordered.
May 11,2009 : EAD card received.
May 12,2009 : Applied for SSN.
May 18,2009 : Received SS card.
June 08,2009 : Received Letter for Interview ( scheduled on July 14 th July )
July 14th : Great Interview. All done in 20 mins.
July 18th: Online status - Card Production ordered. Thank God !! I-130 online status : Pending
July 23rd : Welcome to USA & I-130 approval letter recieved. Online status still shows pending.
July 31st : Received conditional green card
Removing Condition
3/25/11 - Received reminder from USCIS to file for ROC
5/6/11 - Sent I-751 Packet to CSC via usps
5/9/11- Package delivered to csc.
5/11/11- Check cashed electronically by CSC
5/16/11- NOA 1 received
5/27/11 - Biometrics letter received.Scheduled on 06/06/11. Case Online
6/6/11 - Biometrics done
9/6/11 - Approved.Card Production Ordered
9/12/11- Card Received

Citizenship

10/13/15 : Sent N400

10/16/15 : NOA

11/13/15 : Fingerprints

11/17/15 : In Line for Interview

01/11/16 : Interview- Passed & Given Oath letter & Date by hand

01/14/16 : Oath Ceremony done & Naturalization Certificate in hand.Proud citizen of USA

If affidavits are so worthless why are they listed as a suggested form of evidence in the I-751 instructions?

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Timeline

If affidavits are so worthless why are they listed as a suggested form of evidence in the I-751 instructions?

"Affidavits are not mandatory & can prove to be worthless because anyone could manufacture them". Maybe you need to read this quote again. It indicates they are not required. It doesnt say no one should submit them. Affidavits would not be submitted to me. Its my opinion that they are worthless for the reason I gave. Anyone can write anything they want which could be viewed as pure fiction or as absolute fact. Who could or would distinguish between the two. You?

If you want to question the author of the instructions contact the USCIS office near you to inquire. If you want to submit affidavits then do so. I did not & was asked to.

Ahh map has corrected my error about the fact this is an AOS rather than a visa petition to BKK. I made that mistake in my understanding. Read his post.

"Affidavits are not mandatory & can prove to be worthless because anyone could manufacture them". Maybe you need to read this quote again. It indicates they are not required. It doesnt say no one should submit them. Affidavits would not be submitted to me. Its my opinion that they are worthless for the reason I gave. Anyone can write anything they want which could be viewed as pure fiction or as absolute fact. Who could or would distinguish between the two. You?

If you want to question the author of the instructions contact the USCIS office near you to inquire. If you want to submit affidavits then do so. I did not & was asked to.

Ahh map has corrected my error about the fact this is an AOS rather than a visa petition to BKK. I made that mistake in my understanding. Read his post.

I don't need to reread anything. If USCIS thought they were so meaningless they wouldn't list them in the instructions. I don't have to determine if they are real or not, USCIS does. You can certainly chose not to include them but to state that they may be proven worthless is a bit ludicrous isn't it?

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Timeline

I don't need to reread anything. If USCIS thought they were so meaningless they wouldn't list them in the instructions. I don't have to determine if they are real or not, USCIS does. You can certainly chose not to include them but to state that they may be proven worthless is a bit ludicrous isn't it?

No. They are worthless unless the immigration officer has the people that signed them present to testify. None of us are going to be in a position to make another person do anything when it comes to their case. I have stated my opinion. If you dont agree its ok with me.

Edited by Ning

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.