Liz&Nate

Why the advice against K1?

34 posts in this topic

I did get an email from one of the former immigration firms today that I found strange. Basically it stated that the only requirement for AOS is to have been admitted by an USCIS officer and to give him a fair chance of inspection, regardless of the visa I used to enter the US. First off, I am not sure if a CBP officer would qualify as a "USCIS" one. The email (which was in reply to one I sent regarding K-1 visas) also stated that so long as I wasn't asked about my intentions, I wouldn't be lying about them. Third, that if I got married after 90 days, I would hardly arise any suspicion and would breeze through the process. The lawyer in question wished me the best but said he was "saddened that I had decided to take the hard road".

I guess doing what's right isn't always easy. Doing what's easy isn't always right.

Our Journey begins

Met online in March 2009. Started dating through Skype in September 2009. Met in person on 03/14/2010. After many visits, both ways, Nate proposes to Liz on 8/10/2010.

Our K-1 Journey
K1 Visa processed at Vermont, approved in 106 days. Approved at CDJ on 19/09/2011
Our AOS Journey from K

Applied for AOS on 12/27/2011

-AP/EAD combo card processed at Vermont, approved in 86 days. Approved on 3/22/2012; Card Received 3/30/2012

-GC processed at Vermont, approved in 268 days. Approved on 9/20/2012; Card Received on 9/26/2012
Our RoC Journey

08/30/2014: Sent package to Lockbox

09/02/2014: Package Received in Chicago

09/05/2014: Received NOA1 (Extension letter for 1 year)

11/30/2014: Called USCIS, Biometrics appointment not received yet. Appointment letter never delivered to correct address.

12/05/2014: Finally receive Biometrics appointment letter in the mail.

12/30/2014: Biometrics taken in El Paso, Texas ASC

05/08/2015: Approval notice received by email and text

05/10/2015: Approval notice received by mail

05/15/2015: GC in hand

-RoC processed at Vermont, approved in 248 days

Our Citizenship Journey

06/20/2015: Will be able to early file N-400

Humm.. that sounds like one crappy lawyer to me. It almost seems like advice that could get this person disbarred. The only requirement for AOS most definitely is not to be admitted (if it was, US would have quite a lot more non-immigrants and tourist AOSing away). I am personally not that familiar with K-1, but do now that entering with a tourist visa with obvious intent to marry is a risk I'd never take personally. And though he is technically true in saying that "if you are not asked, you are not lying", that will make no difference to the USCIS officer doing your interview and asking you why you entered with a tourist visa when you had a boyfriend / fiance here and then got married very soon after. It would be misrepresentation, without a doubt, and as the others have said, could lead to a very long if not a lifetime ban.

You are definitely right to get rid of this lawyer and fast. And I think you two should feel comfortable and happy about K1 route and just look forward to being able to spend your lives together without having to worry. It will be well worth the wait.

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Immigration lawyers can be unscrupulous because they only make the big bucks if your case becomes complicated and you have the money to pay for them to help you out of the complications. Even if you do decide to retain the services of a lawyer for straightforward K1 and AOS (and I don't recommend this), they'll probably get $1k or so. After their costs, that really isn't very much. Basically, they are hoping you get screwed over so they can make bank filing waivers, appearing before immigration judges and generally do busy work to get you out of the pickle they got you in. Now, it's certainly possible to get away with marriage on a tourist visa. I know quite a few people who have done it. But that doesn't mean there isn't a significant risk or that it isn't illegal.

Also, it's not true that if you aren't asked about your intentions it isn't fraud. As a person attempting to enter the US, you are responsible for understanding the visa types and what they are used for and acquiring the correct type of visa. By attempting to enter on a B1/B2 visa, you are implicitly declaring that your intentions are non-immigrant and match the visa type you have. While the officer may ask questions to clarify that you understand this and are being honest, you are actually responsible for understanding this and acting accordingly. Basically, whether or not they ask you the deciding factor of whether or not it is fraud is whether or not you were planning to get married and remain when you entered the country. The following situations are technically not fraudulent but increasingly difficult to swing in front of an immigration judge:

--you enter with tourist intentions. You meet a USC, fall in love and decide to get married and live happily ever after.

--You have a USC acquaintance/friend/romantic interest and decide to come and visit. You realize that things are really serious and decide to get married and stay.

--You have a fiance(e) that you are planning to marry later that you come to visit. You change plans after entry and get married right away and decide to stay.

--You are planning to come and marry your fiance(e) in the US and then leave and apply for CR-1. After entry, you change your mind and decide to stay in the US and do AOS.

While some of these situations are somewhat implausible and difficult to sell to a judge, as long as they are a genuine representation of what happened, they are not technically fraud.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Don't get me started on using lawyers... If I could turn back time and not use our lawyer, I would have done it in a heart beat! It's much easier than it looks like, and your case seems pretty straight forward...I honestly think you guys could do it yourselves- you have all those great resources on VJ, and will always get advice from its members.

If you do use the lawyer - always double ask questions and always double check everything yourself - for the lawyers it's just some easy money, and they tend to forget to do a decent work while on the job... Good luck and welcome to VJ!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for all the replies! What a wonderful resource this place is!

I don't understand how the case is "muddy". I am not in the US at the moment. I do have a B1/B2/BCC card that I've had for many years (it's a ten year card), which I have used to visit my fiance on day trips, always declaring I was visiting my (then) boyfriend to the CBP officer. So far I don't think we have anything to hide. We did make wedding plans, but as I am not intending to follow through with them now that I've become aware of the risks, I wouldn't understand how they would factor into the process. If there is anything I am missing, I would be very grateful if you'd let me know.

We have retained the services of a competent lawyer and will follow his advice.

I disagree with the reply that you need a lawyer. My husband is Canadian and we went the K1 route without any help from a lawyer. Our case had a little bit of mud (I am 9 years older and divorced with kids), but we were able to do it all without legal help.

I just wanted to add that I really, really enjoyed the VISA process. I know that sounds crazy, but I loved gathering the evidence, completing the forms, the anticipation of the interview, going to the interview, getting approved, the anticipation of him moving here, planning the wedding, and then filing for the green card.

I am proud that we did everything the proper way, and I know we have nothing to hide from USCIS. The whole process gave us time to make sure this was what we really wanted. My husband left his country to be with me, and I know that during the process if he wanted to change his mind he could have (since we had so much time and did not rush into getting married).

Enjoy your time courting, filling out the forms and getting her over here. It is a frustrating but meaningful experience.

Good luck!

02.09.2007- Met online (EverQuest 2)

07.11.2008- Met in person (Orlando)

02.14.2009- Got engaged (Toronto)

K-1

03.13.2009- NOA 1

08.24.2009- NOA 2

11.20.2009- Montreal Interview Approved!!

02.01.2010- POE @ Lewiston Bridge

02.25.2010- Applied for SS#

04.29.2010- Beach Wedding!!

AOS

05.27.2010- NOA 1 for I-131, I-485 & I-765

06.18.2010- I-485 transferred to CSC

06.21.2010- Biometrics

07.22.2010- EAD & AP approved

10.28.2010- RFE for I-485- They lost our medical!

12.09.2010- Green Card in hand!

ROC

09.14.2012- Mailed I-751 to VSC

10.26.2012- Biometrics

04.11.2013- 10 Year Green Card approved! No interview :)

8zs8cuv3suq7.png

Timeline
The lawyer in question wished me the best but said he was "saddened that I had decided to take the hard road".

:blink: He was sad? Really?? Deep down in his very heart, no doubt...

April, 2009 - We met

May, 2009 - We wooed

June, 2010 - We got engaged, looking forward to a small August 2010 wedding

** Reality Check: K-1 Process**

July 22, 2010 - NOA1

**5 months of patient waiting**

December 29, 2011 - call around for information about delay

January 5, 2011 - RFE notice (first online status update yet!)

January 10, 2011 - RFE Hardcopy

January 13, 2011 - RFE Response acknowledged

January 24, 2011 - NOA2 (at last!!)

February 3, 2011 - application sent from NVC to Montreal (aka. the Abyss?)

March 7, 2011 - Packet 3 sent to me

March 10, 2011 - Packet 3 delivered to Montreal

March 21, 2011 - Packet 4 sent to me

April 5, 2011 - Medical

April 13, 2011 - Interview - approved!

April 20, 2011 - visa in hand

May 9, 2011 - POE (Buffalo, NY)

May 10, 2011 - wedding :)

I disagree with the reply that you need a lawyer. My husband is Canadian and we went the K1 route without any help from a lawyer. Our case had a little bit of mud (I am 9 years older and divorced with kids), but we were able to do it all without legal help.

I just wanted to add that I really, really enjoyed the VISA process. I know that sounds crazy, but I loved gathering the evidence, completing the forms, the anticipation of the interview, going to the interview, getting approved, the anticipation of him moving here, planning the wedding, and then filing for the green card.

I am proud that we did everything the proper way, and I know we have nothing to hide from USCIS. The whole process gave us time to make sure this was what we really wanted. My husband left his country to be with me, and I know that during the process if he wanted to change his mind he could have (since we had so much time and did not rush into getting married).

Enjoy your time courting, filling out the forms and getting her over here. It is a frustrating but meaningful experience.

Good luck!

:thumbs:

This is very much the way I feel about it. My fiance and I have been together for a long enough time that we know we want to spend the rest of our lives together, but I feel this experience will bond us closer together. We will have earned our right to be together at the end of it. Like you say, I want to have the certainty that I have nothing to hide from the USCIS.

As for lawyers, I am already weary of them. I realize now how naive of me it was to think that they would point out the correct way to do things. For us, this is our lives. For them it's just another paycheck. Right now my fiance feels like he needs to be guided through filling out the forms correctly and filing the right way. I understand this, but I still advice him to double check what he's told.

I might actually feel more excited about filing this week than I did about planning the wedding. Before, I had this nagging feeling that something wasn't right. Now I feel that so long as we are smart and thorough everything should be okay.

Our Journey begins

Met online in March 2009. Started dating through Skype in September 2009. Met in person on 03/14/2010. After many visits, both ways, Nate proposes to Liz on 8/10/2010.

Our K-1 Journey
K1 Visa processed at Vermont, approved in 106 days. Approved at CDJ on 19/09/2011
Our AOS Journey from K

-AP/EAD combo card processed at Vermont, approved in 86 days. Approved on 3/22/2012; Card Received 3/30/2012

-GC processed at Vermont, approved in 268 days. Approved on 9/20/2012; Card Received on 9/26/2012
Our RoC Journey

11/30/2014: Called USCIS, Biometrics appointment not received yet. Appointment letter never delivered to correct address.

Our Citizenship Journey

Timeline

I had a 10 year B1/B2 visa but we applied for a K-1 visa in order for me to come to the US and marry. When they printed the K-1 in passport, they chalked off my B1/B2 and they wrote "Cancelled without Prejudice".

The reason we waited about 6-8 months for a K-1 was because entering the US on a B1/B2 for the purpose of marriage is considered visa fraud, and if convicted, may lead to a permanent ban.

It seems like you have applied for a K-1 and believe you me, it is the right things to do!

I wish you a speedy journey!

KnR aka slider100

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello VJ'ers!

I recently got engaged to a USC I have been dating for almost a year and a half. We are thrilled. The first question that came up, since I am a Mexican national, was about the fastest legal way to get married. We have been through 3 lawyers so far. The first two didn't even mention the K1 visa. We were advised to use my B1/B2, wait at least 30 days, get married and then wait two months before AOS'ing. The third one mentioned the K1 but only in passing, saying that it was strictly for people who were unable to procure a B1/B2 and therefore had no way to get into the country.

We had already made wedding plans, but something didn't quite add up for me. Since the last thing I wanted to do was get my fiance into trouble I started researching on my own. I came across VJ a couple of days ago. That was when I realized that the K1 appears to be the one option to legally enter the country with intent to get married.

Now, I am being criticized by friends and relatives because I talked my fiance into this process. I am being told I am daft, because AOS'ing from B1/B2 is supposed to be so easy. All I know is that I don't want to jeopardize our chances at being together just to get ahead a few months.

My question is, why does there seem to be so much advice against going through the legal process of getting a K1? Is it really that easy to AOS from b1/b2? Am I making too much of a big deal out of it? I don't think so, but I would appreciate your opinions very much.

We didn't use a lawyer either and I had just been divorced and my now husband had 3 divorces behind him and it went along ok, we were approved in 3 months . It was plain sailing really even though at my interview they had lost one of his decrees and we had to scramble to get it to them lol so I could get here for my wedding :no: because till then everything was fine and we had 1 rfe and I sent them what they wanted over night and it did not hold things up at all. But I am glad you are going the legal route as so many try to rort the system and that just makes it hard for all those trying to come here the legal way. SO Kudos to you and good luck :thumbs:

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You sound like a very smart girl with a good head on your shoulders. You both can get through this with ease. Getting on VJ is the best thing you could have done. You will get the best advice possible here and its FREE! Whether you need to see sample forms, to see timelines, or just to vent about being far apart from your fiance, this is the place to be!

It will definitely be a bonding experience for the two of you, and it'll help you appreciate your lives together even more than you do now. It can be very hard to be apart for so long, as I'm sure you are already aware, but once you get through immigration, you can face anything, and you can face it together.

Good luck to you and your fiance, I hope you have a smooth immigration journey together, and an even better life together!!

Robin :thumbs:

Removal of Conditions

10.15.2012 ROC package sent to California Service Center

10.18.2012 Package received

10.19.2012 Check cashed (it never ceases to amaze me how fast the gov't cashes a check!!)

10.29.2012 NOA received dated 10.18.2012

10.29.2012 Biometrics appt received

11.14.2012 Biometrics

In developing news, the immigration lawyer my fiance consulted before filing the I-129f told him that it would be around a year to get a K1 since the USCIS is currently processing requests made in June last year. Is this true? I might have to consult the Mexico board, but it seems exaggerated.

Our Journey begins

Our K-1 Journey
Our AOS Journey from K

Our RoC Journey

Our Citizenship Journey

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

I was married to a Mexican girl with a tourist visa. 3 moths after we filed for residency, process took less then 6 months the only thing they asked us in interview was if we intended to marry before. Since we married in Vegas we told them no it was a spur of the moment thing and had no problems. They only want to make sure that if you marry you did not come to the states with that intent it was decided after you got here. To bad my ex only wanted residency and she filed for divorce 2 years later but thats life I guess. Daniel

Edited by Daniel&Theary

Daniel

K-1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

I-129F Sent : Feb 9,2011

I-129F Received :In Texas then sent to CSC Feb 11,2011

Check cashed and in Initial Review : Feb 16,2011

I-129F NOA1 Hard Copy : Feb 15 2011

TOUCHED 04/04/2011 Is it wrong to be happy to be touched by a stranger?

I-129F RFE(s) : None

I-129F NOA2 :05/27/2011

NVC Received :06/09/2011

NVC Left : 06/27/2011

Consulate Received : 07/01/2011

Packet 3 Received : 07/18/2011

Packet 3 Sent : 07/19/2011

Medical Exam : 07/19/2011

Packet 4 Received :07/25/2011

Interview Date :09/13/2011

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 09\16\2011

US Entry : 09\20\2011

Marriage :09/22/2011

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

I was married to a Mexican girl with a tourist visa. 3 moths after we filed for residency, process took less then 6 months the only thing they asked us in interview was if we intended to marry before. Since we married in Vegas we told them no it was a spur of the moment thing and had no problems. They only want to make sure that if you marry you did not come to the states with that intent it was decided after you got here. To bad my ex only wanted residency and she filed for divorce 2 years later but thats life I guess. Daniel

I guess i should add that we did not plan on the marriage before and I would not advise doing it that way if you have plans to marry already.

Daniel

K-1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

I-129F Sent : Feb 9,2011

I-129F Received :In Texas then sent to CSC Feb 11,2011

Check cashed and in Initial Review : Feb 16,2011

I-129F NOA1 Hard Copy : Feb 15 2011

TOUCHED 04/04/2011 Is it wrong to be happy to be touched by a stranger?

I-129F RFE(s) : None

I-129F NOA2 :05/27/2011

NVC Received :06/09/2011

NVC Left : 06/27/2011

Consulate Received : 07/01/2011

Packet 3 Received : 07/18/2011

Packet 3 Sent : 07/19/2011

Medical Exam : 07/19/2011

Packet 4 Received :07/25/2011

Interview Date :09/13/2011

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 09\16\2011

US Entry : 09\20\2011

Marriage :09/22/2011

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.