SLV

Traveling Green Card and passport different name

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

My wife and I are going to be traveling to Veitnam and I had a question about the names on passport, green card and ticket.

Her passport has her maiden name and her GC has her married name. We went through a traval agent and when she booked the trip they did it using her married name not what is on her passport. Is this a problem? Should they have used the name on her passport or it the name on her GC acceptable?

Thank

Sam

I spoke to the AmericanAirlines and the lady I spoke to seemed confuse to which one I needed to do. After being on hold for a long time she came back she still was not sure but thought it would be best to have it the same as what was on the passport but I think it was more a guess them really knowing. I called my Travel agent. She said she had done hundreds of these and it would cause a problem if the name was the same as what was on the passport instead of what is on the Greencard. Im still confused as to what is correct but guess we are going to leave it so its the same as what she has on the green card.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

My wife & I have gone to Spain twice since she got her green card. Both times, her ticket was in her maiden name (which is the same name in her Spanish passpot). Both times, she had no problems leaving or returning, even though her green card is in her married name.

If you check in for your flight online, you're asked for your passport information, so it seems to me that you'd need to make sure your ticket info matches your passport info.

Good luck!

AJ

Our Timeline (AOS from VWP with short overstay):

Day 00: 19 Sep 2010 AOS package (I-485, I-130, I-131, I-765) sent to Chicago Lockbox

Day 18: 07 Oct 2010 Biometrics appointment letter received for 29 Oct 2010 (dated 01 Oct 2010)

Day 19: 08 Oct 2010 Walk-in biometrics (took about 10 minutes)

Day 47: 05 Nov 2010 Received letter (dated 01 Nov 2010) for Interview on 07 Dec 2010

Day 68: 26 Nov 2010 I-131 TOUCHED: AP approved

Day 73: 01 Dec 2010 I-765 TOUCHED: EAD approved

Day 76: 04 Dec 2010 AP received

Day 79: 07 Dec 2010 Interview at 1 p.m. (took maybe 15 minutes): RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL!

Day 82: 10 Dec 2010 EAD received (dated 01 Dec 2010)

Day 83: 11 Dec 2010 "WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" letter received (dated 07 Dec 2010)

Day 90: 18 Dec 2010 GREEN CARD IN HAND! (dated 07 Dec 2010)

Day 000: 27 Nov 2012 ROC package (I-751) sent to California Service Center

Day 005: 03 Dec 2012 Received hard copy of NOA (dated 28 Nov 2012)

Day 244: 29 Jul 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received for 07 Aug 2013 (dated 27 Jul 2013)

Day 247: 01 Aug 2013 Walk-in biometrics (took about 25 minutes)

Day 308: 01 Oct 2013 Received approval notice for ROC (dated 24 Sep 2013)

Day 317: 10 Oct 2013 GREEN CARD IN HAND!

Day 000: 16 Sep 2017 N-400 filed online

Day 007: 23 Sep 2017 Biometrics appointment scheduled for 12 Oct 2017

Day 024: 10 Oct 2017 Walk-in biometrics (took about 10 minutes)

Day 059: 14 Nov 2017 Received notice that Interview scheduled for 19 Dec 2017

Day 066: 20 Nov 2017 Received hard copy of Interview notice (dated 14 Nov 2017)

Day 094: 19 Dec 2017 INTERVIEW (PASSED!)

Day 145:  08 Feb 2018 OATH CEREMONY

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
I spoke to the AmericanAirlines and the lady I spoke to seemed confuse to which one I needed to do. After being on hold for a long time she came back she still was not sure but thought it would be best to have it the same as what was on the passport but I think it was more a guess them really knowing. I called my Travel agent. She said she had done hundreds of these and it would cause a problem if the name was the same as what was on the passport instead of what is on the Greencard. Im still confused as to what is correct but guess we are going to leave it so its the same as what she has on the green card.

Actually it's fine in the GC name. No problem. The rule is "government-issued photo ID" and in this case it's the GC (it can also be the passport). Leave it in the married name, you'll have no problems, I didn't.

I believe you both are correct and it should be the same as the passport.

Thank you both for your replies. ;-)

It's fine in the GC name. I'm trying to locate the link to prove it.

Timeline
I believe you both are correct and it should be the same as the passport.

Thank you both for your replies. ;-)

Here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/183541-land-downunder-aussie-aussie-aussie-oi-oi-oi/page__view__findpost__p__4135806 .

Confirmed by TSA and CBP but the link in the email they sent me is now dead so i'm trying to find it again.

**Edit - if in doubt you can carry your marriage certificate which explains the difference but I highly doubt you'll be asked for it. I never was.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

The name on the ticket and the passport has to match. The Green Card is completely irrelevant for this purpose. Why rolling the dice for no reason?

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline
The name on the ticket and the passport has to match. The Green Card is completely irrelevant for this purpose. Why rolling the dice for no reason?

No it doesn't. When was the last time you tried it? It needs to match "government-issued photo ID", that is the rule. Just typically people prefer to match their passport.

OP if there's no cost involved and you're worried about it, change it to match the passport. If there's a cost involved then just leave it. I'm sure you'll be fine... unless you meet with people who don't know what they're talking about... which may happen so carry the marriage certificate "just in case".

No it doesn't. When was the last time you tried it? It needs to match "government-issued photo ID", that is the rule. Just typically people prefer to match their passport.

When's the last time you put your fingers in a running lawn mover to find out if the blades would really chop them off?

Once the O.P. wants to board a plane from 'Nam to the US, her passport has to match the name on the ticket. Vietnamese officials don't consider a US document as sufficient for a Vietnamese citizen asking to be let aboard a plane destined to fly to another country. The only government issued ID a Vietnamese citizen in Vietnam has is a Vietnamese passport.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a name discrepancy on my passport vs my GC...

I was married to a USC when I applied for GC, now when all that was done (thankfully didn't encounter problems), I had to renew my PH passport with my married name (conveniently, it was expired). Apparently the Philippine law states you HAVE to use your old surname as your new middle name, and that's what the PH consulate emphasized when I applied for my new PH passport. I wasn't aware of that when me and my husband signed our marriage registration forms - I didn't move my surname to become my new middle name (I kept my middle name as is).

Here's a representation:

1) Maiden Name: Name MidName Surname

2) Name on GC: Name MidName Surname2

3) Name on Passport: Name Surname Surname2

In hindsight, I know I should've thought of that more, but I'm concerned about my travels from PH back to US (to visit my family in PH) - what do I have to present to the US immigration officers when you re-enter the US, besides the GC? Will they fuss about why my PH passport name is different from my name on the GC?

Edited by kittens_0117

Personal Timeline

N400 JOURNEY

2015/05/02 - sent N-400 packet to USCIS [Day 0] (Saturday mail)

2015/05/12 - check cashed [Day 10]
2015/05/15 - I-797C NOA received [Day 13]

2015/06/01 - biometrics appointment [Day 29]

2015/09/10 - interview appointment [Day 131] - pending N-14 add'l evidence req'd

2015/11/17 - oath taking [Day 169]

GC/ROC JOURNEY

(In essence of keeping my signature short, please check my Timeline)

AOS JOURNEY

(In essence of keeping my signature short, please check my Timeline)

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

OP if there's no cost involved and you're worried about it, change it to match the passport. If there's a cost involved then just leave it. I'm sure you'll be fine... unless you meet with people who don't know what they're talking about... which may happen so carry the marriage certificate "just in case".

Hi Just Bob!

I also have the same issue. I want to travel to Peru and my passport and green card have different names. I'm pretty stress about the problems I may have in the peruvian airport trying to fly to the US because of this difference in names...any suggestions? Need my marriage certificate in case the airline thinks I'm doing something wrong?

You book the ticket in the name of your passport. You show your passport when you leave the US, and you show your passport plus the Green Card plus the marriage certificate (only if they give you a hard time) when you leave Peru. In the US you show your Green Card and your passport.

Your passport is the document that allows you to travel internationally. The Green Card is the document that allows you back in to the United States.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.