ShawnM

Question about potential RFE. Can I send in Missing Document BEFORE I get the RFE? Pertains to DS-230.

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hello everyone,

My brother just received an RFE because he did not provide his original marriage certificate. The reason he did not send it in is because his marriage certificate is in a different language. Instead of sending in the original he sent in a certified translation of the original. He now has to send in the original untranslated version.

I made the same mistake as my brother. I sent in the certified translation of the original. I just sent in the DS-230 on Tuesday using over night mail. The NVC did not start processing my DS-230 yet.

My question is, can I send in the Original Marriage certificate now or do I have to wait for the RFE? The reason I am asking this is because I do not want to waste anytime waiting and want my case to complete as soon as possible. Also, is there a chance that my additional papers(Original marriage certificate) will get lost and never get matched up with the DS-230?

Does anyone have any experience with this or know what I can do?

Thanks in advance for any help with this issue.

I keep harping this but so many VJers keep posting the "directions." Always include originals/certified copies. Even when you get a translation, the first one costs x and the others are much cheaper. Get 10 (I did). My Claudia and I now have 5 certified copies of most everything but for anything in the future we are prepared. Now that I have finished my diatribe...You can send in originals but it's your choice. If you do make sure you include all the information and state that it is to be added to your file. Your file may stall but soon the "attachment" will catch up. Good luck

May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Bogota, Colombia
Marriage: 2009-08-01
I-130 Sent : 2009-09-29
I-130 NOA1 : 2009-10-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-03-18
NVC Received : 2010-03-23
Case Completed at NVC : 2010-09-16
Interview Date : December 16, 2010
Interview Result : APPROVED
Visa Received : 12/27/10
US Entry :12/29/10
Two-year green card received: 1/19/11
SSN received: 2/2/11
Lifting of Conditions Filed 10/1/12
Lifting of Conditions NOA 10/9/12
Lifting of Conditions Biometrics Appt 10/31/12

Lifting of Conditions Approved 12/10/12

10-yr green card received 1/8/13

N-400 Naturalization Application 10/1/2013
Marital Bliss: Endless

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I called NVC and spoke to about 5 different Customer Service Reps and they all told me to just send in the Marriage Certificate and they will attach it to my original certificate to my petition as long as I have provided the barcoded document cover sheet. My main concern was that I did not want them to lose marriage certificate. They did not start to review my DS-230 yet but I guess I will just mail them the certificate before hand.I really hope that this does not slow down my process.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

I believe it's better to wait for the RFE to be issued. Sometimes it might take them longer to match up the document if you send it in before it's requested. I had an RFE for the passport photos, I waited for the e-mail with the RFE letter and then printed it and sent it with the photos. I understand how you feel, it's up to you if you want to give it a try at sending it. Just make sure to send in the bar coded sheet as well. Good luck!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

it's ok to send in anything else, as long as you have the barcoded coversheet, with some letter of explanation.

many times it works, sometimes not - depends on who's handling the mail that day.

you might want to wait for a checklist letter, instead (usually via email)

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I believe it's better to wait for the RFE to be issued. Sometimes it might take them longer to match up the document if you send it in before it's requested. I had an RFE for the passport photos, I waited for the e-mail with the RFE letter and then printed it and sent it with the photos. I understand how you feel, it's up to you if you want to give it a try at sending it. Just make sure to send in the bar coded sheet as well. Good luck!

For USCIS, wait for the RFE. For NVC, go ahead and send it with the cover sheet. NVC is not USCIS. It WILL get put with your file in a timely manner.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 4 weeks later...

It is with the NVC. I will send it in and I hope everything works out for the best. Thank you everyone for assisting me with this matter.

Hello I made a mistake regarding photos and will possibly get RFE. I sent 1.5 X 1.5 photos instead of 2 X 2. Did you wait for RFE or sent it to NVC. THanks in advance

• 4 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

As soon as I got my NOA1, I was researching what to do next and only then did I realize that I forgot to include a certified copy of my divorce to show that my previous marriage had ended. I knew that was a required document and it bothered me to just sit there waiting knowing that my petition was incomplete and that I would get an RFE. I wanted to see if there was anything I could do to avoid this. I called the USCIS (California Service Center) number on the NOA1 and spoke with a very nice representative. She said I could send in my divorce documentation with a brief letter explaining what happened and a copy of the NOA1. I wrote a letter apologizing for the mishap and asked nicely that they attach this to my original petition mailed earlier. I closed requesting that they provide some sort of confirmation when this is done and left my phone number. I mailed everything certified mail to the California Service Center address on the NOA1. I got confirmation back (the little green card) showing that they received it five days after I mailed it. After that, I didn't hear anything and knew that I would either get an RFE (indicating that the supplemental info. I mailed was not attached to the original petition package) or approval (meaning that it was). I was pleasantly surprised when I got notification that our I129-F petition was approved! No RFE. I had read a number of posts saying not to send anything in and to just wait for the RFE, but I figured I would give it a shot and I'm glad I did!

K-1 Visa
04-29-2011: I-129F Sent
05-05-2011: I-129F NOA1
07-18-2011: I-129F NOA2
08-08-2011: NVC Received
08-09-2011: NVC Left
08-10-2011: Consulate Received
08-26-2011: Consulate mailed Packet 3 (invitation letter)
09-01-2011: Packet 3 (invitation letter) Received in US
09-10-2011: Packet 3 (invitation letter) Received in Mexico
09-22-2011: Interview: APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
10-04-2011: DHL Waybill number appears in the afternoon
10-05-2011: Picked up visa from DHL office
11-08-2011: POE Houston, Texas
11-19-2011: Married!

AOS
12-06-2011: Applied for Social Security Number
12-08-2011: AOS package sent (I-485, I-765, I-131, and supporting docs)
12-12-2011: Received Social Security Number and card in the mail
12-20-2011: Received NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-131
01-06-2012: Completed ASC appointment
02-02-2012: Received appointment notice for AOS interview on March 1, 2012
03-01-2012: Green card interview: APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
03-10-2012: Green card received

ROC

12-27-2013: I-751 Sent

01-02-2014: Received NOA1 for I-751

01-24-2014: Completed ASC appointment

04-01-2014: APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (no interview)

CITIZENSHIP

11-14-2016: N-400 Sent

05-19-2017: Naturalization interview:  APPROVED!!!!!!!

06-28-2017: Citizenship ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hello I made a mistake regarding photos and will possibly get RFE. I sent 1.5 X 1.5 photos instead of 2 X 2. Did you wait for RFE or sent it to NVC. THanks in advance

I hope you got your answer by now - just send those using the Cover Sheet with bar code.

USA

01/08/13 - Approved and GC is order for production on 1/8/14

09/12/13 - Case transferred to CSC. NOA2 received on 09/18/13

08/30/13 - Biometrics Done - No walk ins allowed at this LSC (received on 8/16/13).

08/05/13 - NOA1 (received on 08/10/13)

08/01/13 - Mailed I-751 (received on 8/2/13 - check cashed on 8/5/13)

12/28/11 - Received SSN (applied on 12/20/11, as we didn't get based on DS-230 options)
11/28/11 - Received Green Card (Expires on 10/30/13) - Welcome Letter on 11/17/11
10/30/11 - POE - Houston, TX

Chennai Consulate (40 days)
10/28/11 - Received Visa papers and Passport at VFS
10/25/11 - Interview Cleared Successfully (Spouse was not allowed in)

NVC: (90 days from NOA2 to Consulate)
08/31/11 - Case Completed (Interview 10/25/11) - Received at Chennai on 09/19/11
07/22/11 - NVC Case Number

USCIS: (92 days)

6/21/11 - NOA2 (NOA1 on 3/25/11) - took a month to get to NVC
3/21/11 - I-130 sent to USCIS Lockbox, Chicago.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.