icee

Initial Green Card Interview

12 posts in this topic

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Kyrgyzstan
Timeline

Hi Guys,

Tomorrow we have our initial green card interview and we just received our co-sponsors' (both husband and wife) tax returns for 2010 along with their work letters. We've seem to have run into a bit of a problem with that though, as this past year they didn't quite make enough money to be co-sponsors (though they did before) and both of their work letters don't have all the required information in them (weekly, monthly and yearly pay information). The one work letter at least states their hourly wage, as the other just states how valuable they are to the company (though due to lake of work right now has been laid off until middle of March). We're not sure how to handle this and so any advise or help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by icee

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi, how many household members did you include in your affidavit of support for the primary sponsor, which i presume is the USC spouse? and how much is the annual income that he/she is receiving?

May 24, 2010- non USC arrived on B2

Sept. 2010- USC & non-USC introduced by a friend on FB

Oct. 10, 2010- USC & non-USC met

Oct-Nov 2010- dating, fell in love

Nov. 23, 2010- B2 expired

January 11, 2011- married at Christian Church and living together

March 11, 2011- i-485, i-130 & i-765 filed via USPS(Day 1)

March 14, 2011- Packet received at Chicago Lockbox (Day 3)

March 17, 2011- Email Notifications received from USCIS of their receipt of the packet, and transferring to NBC. (Day 6)

March 17, 2011- Checks cashed by USCIS (Day 6)

March 21, 2011- Received NOA1 (Day 10)

April 4, 2011- Received Biometrics for i-765

April 8, 2011- Plan for Early Walk-In, and inquiry about i-485 biometrics (SUCCESSFUL)

April 22- I-485 Touched, I-130 and I-765 (still initial review status)

April 23- Received Appointment Letter for Green Card Interview set on May 24, 2011 (Wish me Luck!!!)

May 12, 2011- Received EAD Card!!!

May 13, 2011- Will go get SSN

May 19, 2011- Got my SS Card in the Mail :)

May 24, 2011- Interview Date for Green Card (Successful!!! Card Production Ordered)

Waiting for the Green Card!!! :):):)

June 2, 2011- GREEN CARD IS HERE!!!

GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME and ALL THE TIME GOD IS GOOD!!!

Taxes aren't due yet this year so I wouldn't even bother submitting them.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

hi, how many household members did you include in your affidavit of support for the primary sponsor, which i presume is the USC spouse? and how much is the annual income that he/she is receiving?

For primary sponsor 1 and the annual income currently is around $14,000.

Edited by icee

Timeline

In case I wasn't too clear, for the primary sponsor, we put down 2 household members and the income that they currently now make is around $14,000 but at the time of filing the papers, they were only making between $11,000 and $12,000.

What was on the information you filed with your paperwork? It looks from your timeline like you filed back in 2010, so you must have submitted 2009 tax returns with your work at the time, correct? Were they making enough at that point?

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Timeline

What was on the information you filed with your paperwork? It looks from your timeline like you filed back in 2010, so you must have submitted 2009 tax returns with your work at the time, correct? Were they making enough at that point?

hi there,

correct, we submitted our co-sponsor's tax returns together with his affidavit of support when we were filing our AOS papers back in 2010 October. Back then we didn't have his and his wife's pay stubs and work letters from their work, and so this time we are bringing something as a replacement for his pay-stubs and plus his wife's pay stubs together with their work letters. They gave us their W2 with their tax returns for 2010, and it shows they made less than what they made for the last year (I mean for 2009)... We are thinking not to bring their W2 and tax returns that we got just recently as in the interview letter it says submit them unless you have already submitted and we'd just tell them that we submitted them back in 2010, what do you think guys, will that work ok?

thanks

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

I have to admit I am a bit confused about your situation, but if I understand correctly, this may help:

Apparently, your affidavit is valid indefinitely from the date it was produced, and they're not allowed to ask for an updated one if the reason is only passage of time.

A more learned memberay want to expand on this, but I think if you can come up with evidence to back up your original affidavit, they will go by the information contained in it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I have to admit I am a bit confused about your situation, but if I understand correctly, this may help:

Apparently, your affidavit is valid indefinitely from the date it was produced, and they're not allowed to ask for an updated one if the reason is only passage of time.

A more learned memberay want to expand on this, but I think if you can come up with evidence to back up your original affidavit, they will go by the information contained in it.

There is a requirement that the affidavit of support be sufficient both at the time it's filed and the time it's adjudicated. However, secton 20.5(e) of the Adjudicators Field Manual states that the IO is generally supposed to presume that an affidavit is sufficient at the time it's adjudicated if it was sufficient at the time it was originally submitted, based on the annual income of the sponsor for the year in which the affidavit was submitted. An exception is if more than one year has passed between the time the affidavit was submitted and the time it's adjudicated. In that event, according to 8 CFR 213a.2, the IO can ask for new evidence to demonstrate that the affidavit is still sufficient.

Once the immigrant benefit has been granted then the affidavit becomes binding, and USCIS cannot ask the sponsor to submit additional evidence or another affidavit of support.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

FWIW, we were not asked during our interview to produce more about our financial means or provide an update. I don't think you need to bring new W-2s if you sent last years with your packet. However, I think you will need to bring anything you didn't include in those regards - our IO did check through our packet on the spot to make sure we had a letter from my employer, etc.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Timeline

hi there,

correct, we submitted our co-sponsor's tax returns together with his affidavit of support when we were filing our AOS papers back in 2010 October. Back then we didn't have his and his wife's pay stubs and work letters from their work, and so this time we are bringing something as a replacement for his pay-stubs and plus his wife's pay stubs together with their work letters. They gave us their W2 with their tax returns for 2010, and it shows they made less than what they made for the last year (I mean for 2009)... We are thinking not to bring their W2 and tax returns that we got just recently as in the interview letter it says submit them unless you have already submitted and we'd just tell them that we submitted them back in 2010, what do you think guys, will that work ok?

thanks

anyway guys,

we are back from Pittsburgh where we had our interview. I am getting my green card in two weeks. The officer just wanted to see our apartment rent lease and our wedding photos. None of the affidavit of support... He was super nice and just wanted to know how we met and developed our relationship and all that. On top of that we came about 45 minutes late for our interview because of the weather and traffic, but they still accepted us and the guy that does security check up on the 1st floor said it's ok, everyone was late.. It was such a relief after all that terrible trip.

Cheer up all of you who are in the process of getting their status adjusted, things will go well, you just need to know what papers you need to turn in and in timely manner.

A

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.