LoveMyMiky

SS# Application Prior to Marriage with K1

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

Have read through many of the SS# related threads but the following is not clear, any help appreciated.

Can a (non-work authorized) SS# be obtained prior to marriage on a K1 visa?

How long to receive the actual number from date of application?

This is for insurance and not work related.

7/19/2010 NOA1

12/13/2010 NOA2 Document Received

12/27/2010 Embassy e-mail Package 3.5 received

01/31/2011 Embassy Interview Date

01/31/2011 K1 Visa Approved 6 months, 1 week, & 4 days from NAO1

02/26/2011 In the US

05/26/2011 Married!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes a K-1 is entitled to an SSN.

Enter on the K-1, wait 2 weeks, apply at the SSN office for the SSN with passport and valid I-94.

You can use the SSN to open joint bank accounts or be added to an account. For insurance, for drivers license, for drivers insurance etc etc.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

1) Yes, K-1 is authorized to apply for and get SSN within the 90 days of their I-94 card, this is primarily so that they can apply for a marriage license, some states are strict in their interpretation of a federal law regarding licenses and SSN. A federal law requires applicants for "licenses" to have SSN, this has to do with dead-beat parents, the law was designed to prevent a dead-beat parent from applying for (Driver's license, business license, fishing license, hunting license.) But makes no distinction as to what type of license, so can also prevent application for a marriage license. K-1 is allowed to get SSN in order to marry.

2) Ten days or so

3) K-1 SSN is primarily to get married. Insurance companies should not be asking for SSN to be added to insurance.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Have read through many of the SS# related threads but the following is not clear, any help appreciated.

Can a (non-work authorized) SS# be obtained prior to marriage on a K1 visa?

No, because a K1 is work authorised and will get a SSN that says "Not valid without DHS Authorisation" on it.

If you tick the box that says "not work authorised" you will not get a SSN. A K1 is work authorised for SSN purposes as explained in the SSN guide. Have a look at the SSN guide and make sure you take the appropriate sections of the SSA rules in case you run into issues.

Again, a K1 is work authorised for SSN purposes and THAT is the box you tick on the SS-5 form.

How long to receive the actual number from date of application?

This is for insurance and not work related

around 7-10 business days.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Yes a K-1 is entitled to an SSN.

That's what we did, got the card in another 10 days.

Enter on the K-1, wait 2 weeks, apply at the SSN office for the SSN with passport and valid I-94.

You can use the SSN to open joint bank accounts or be added to an account. For insurance, for drivers license, for drivers insurance etc etc.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

Thanks all! Very helpful! :thumbs:

7/19/2010 NOA1

12/13/2010 NOA2 Document Received

12/27/2010 Embassy e-mail Package 3.5 received

01/31/2011 Embassy Interview Date

01/31/2011 K1 Visa Approved 6 months, 1 week, & 4 days from NAO1

02/26/2011 In the US

05/26/2011 Married!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

hello... may i ask what is I-94? thanks

August 25, 2010 I-129F was sent to Lewisville, TX

August 27, 2010 received date

August 30, 2010 NOA1

September 1, 2010 NOA1 hardcopy

September 8, 2010 'touched'

February 2, 2011 RFE =(

February 7, 2011 RFE hardcopy received and sent back to CSC

February 10, 2011 USCIS received our response to RFE

February 15, 2011 I129F APPROVED!! Thank You Lord God...

February 22, 2011 NOA2 hardcopy received..

NVC just received our case

February 23, 2011 Got new case number from NVC via email..

March 2 and 3, 2011 Medical at St. Lukes (PASSED!)

March 7, 2011 US consulate received our case.

MArch 15, 2011 CFO guidance and counseling seminar (got the green cert)

March 17, 2011 USEM letter received via Email..

April 5, 2011 Interview.. VISA APPROVED!

April 13, 2011 Visa in hand..

April 15,2011 POE: LAX

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

When you enter the US at the POE, your K1 is canceled and a I-94 visa valid for 90 days is stapled Int'l your passport. That is what allows you to stay fir 90 days while you get married.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

1) Yes, K-1 is authorized to apply for and get SSN within the 90 days of their I-94 card, this is primarily so that they can apply for a marriage license, some states are strict in their interpretation of a federal law regarding licenses and SSN. A federal law requires applicants for "licenses" to have SSN, this has to do with dead-beat parents, the law was designed to prevent a dead-beat parent from applying for (Driver's license, business license, fishing license, hunting license.) But makes no distinction as to what type of license, so can also prevent application for a marriage license. K-1 is allowed to get SSN in order to marry.

2) Ten days or so

3) K-1 SSN is primarily to get married. Insurance companies should not be asking for SSN to be added to insurance.

I can't get my license with just my SSN and can't get on car insurance either without my license. Need GC here in parts of Georgia pain in the butt but yes I am on medical insurance

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I can't get my license with just my SSN and can't get on car insurance either without my license. Need GC here in parts of Georgia pain in the butt but yes I am on medical insurance

Actually my fiance was here for 18 months on a J1 and got a SSN for that, but never got an American license, and Progressive insured him on his foreign license and US SSN. You just will get a fairly terrible rate and only basic coverage, but if you do that for 6 months it should tide you over until you can get your license and a better rate.

Hope this helps

POE: 5/17/2011

Wedding: 5/21/2011

AOS Mailed: 6/17/2011

NOA1 6/27/2011

RFE 7/13/2011

EAD approved 8/22/2011 :)

AOS Approved 9/14/2011 :) :) :)

USCIS Free till 2013!!!!!!!!! :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Actually my fiance was here for 18 months on a J1 and got a SSN for that, but never got an American license, and Progressive insured him on his foreign license and US SSN. You just will get a fairly terrible rate and only basic coverage, but if you do that for 6 months it should tide you over until you can get your license and a better rate.

Hope this helps

No am not going to do that my husband has the car insurance and we will wait, should not be too much longer. I have been here nearly 6 months now and we are due for renewal next month.I am expecting that I should have both DL and GC by then but thankyou

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.