malis

What I can/can't do with a K1 visa

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Hi everyone

I have recieved my K1 visa (although Im still waiting for the courier to deliver it), but we are now planning to go to the states in mid March. However I don't know what I can and can't do with a K1 visa.

can I drive? can I open a bank account? can I buy a car in my name? :whistle: .....

please let me know if you have any info.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Yes can open a bank account, K-1 can get SSN shortly after entry to the USA, and most banks want SSN to open or be added to an account

No Visa does not allow driving, this is a privilege granted by the state you will be living in, some states allow use of a foreign DL until you have green-card at which time you need to apply for a state driver's license.

Yes you can buy a car, however insurance is needed in order to drive, this tends to be something your future spouse can buy, and get insurance for, the car.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

You mean when you get to the US?

Well first of all get a ssn 10-14 days upon arrival, because with a ssn you could open a bank account. Am I right?

As for driving, I got an international driver's license so that I could drive in PA for a year without needing to convert into a PA license, so I'm good even if it takes a while to get your green card. Check your state laws. PA says its okay as long as you get an international license. I paid 40 usd to have mine converted into international, but it's worth it. :)

As for buying a car.. I'm not sure, let's wait for someone more knowledgeable :)

But remember that what you CAN'T do is leave the country until you get your AP, and don't marry anyone but your petitioner, and make sure its in the 90-day timeframe :)

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Get married and apply for AOS, EAD and AP. So that you can work and travel.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Before you leave your country, get two (preferably three) certified copies of your birth certificate, school records, vaccination records, divorce decree if applicable, and other important official documents (for your children, too, if applicable). Also, if you have a driver's license, get it renewed for as long a period as possible; if you don't have one, get one. These items will come in very handy later.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

You mean when you get to the US?

Well first of all get a ssn 10-14 days upon arrival, because with a ssn you could open a bank account. Am I right?

As for driving, I got an international driver's license so that I could drive in PA for a year without needing to convert into a PA license, so I'm good even if it takes a while to get your green card. Check your state laws. PA says its okay as long as you get an international license. I paid 40 usd to have mine converted into international, but it's worth it. :)

As for buying a car.. I'm not sure, let's wait for someone more knowledgeable :)

But remember that what you CAN'T do is leave the country until you get your AP, and don't marry anyone but your petitioner, and make sure its in the 90-day timeframe :)

Everything you said she/he can't do, they CAN do. I think what you mean is that there would be varying consequences for these actions.

If the K1 visa holder leaves the USA without AP, they can't get back in without a new visa.

If the K1 visa holder marries somebody other than the petitioner, they must leave and come back again with a new spouse visa.

If the K1 visa holder marries the petitioner after the allowed 90 days the I-130 must be filed in addition to the required papers to adjust status.

Let's be accurate. There are very few "can'ts", regardless of the subject matter.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Without a valid US drivers license you may not be able to be listed as a driver on the auto insurance policy. Be sure to check with your future husband's insurance carrier so that if you are involved in an traffic accident the policy will cover you.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Thank you everyone. this was very helpful.

we want to get married as soon as we get there and file for AOS and AP. because we want to have the wedding ceremony in Turkey. I am from Iran and my family cant come to the US for a wedding and since he's American his family can't come to Iran, so we have decided to have the wedding in the Turkey. hope I can get the AOS and AP in time.

Timeline

we want to get married as soon as we get there and file for AOS and AP. because we want to have the wedding ceremony in Turkey. I am from Iran and my family cant come to the US for a wedding and since he's American his family can't come to Iran, so we have decided to have the wedding in the Turkey. hope I can get the AOS and AP in time.

If you "can't" you'll need to reschedule the ceremony or start over with a spouse visa. Why not just marry in Turkey to begin with and take the CR1 visa route?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

So, as I understand it, you want to have a civil wedding in the US to qualify as married & then go to Turkey to have the big wedding ceremony?

In that case, we will need someone to answer how long it takes to get AP once you file for AOS.

Timeline

So, as I understand it, you want to have a civil wedding in the US to qualify as married & then go to Turkey to have the big wedding ceremony?

In that case, we will need someone to answer how long it takes to get AP once you file for AOS.

Usually 85 to 100 days.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

thank you, if it takes up to 100 days, I guess that would be alright, we would have enough time. is it ok to leave the country after I get an AP. would I run into problems trying to come back in??

No guaranteed entry, ever but that's what AP is for, getting back in when you leave before you have the green card in hand.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.