Gary and Alla

RUB Jokes

139 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

30 TBs? lol I thought I was sitting pretty with 10...

I didn't know the Tivo was so versatile. When we purchased our TV (50" Panny plasma) we also got an LG BD570 Blu-Ray player. I did my homework on it to make sure it could do what I wanted. It'll stream movies through the network off of my computer's hard drives. It'll cover just about any movie format I've thrown at it and so far I have no complaints. And if worse comes to worse and the LG won't read a file, I also ran a 20' HDMI cable between the TV and computer and I can go that route. And playing a few computer games on the big screen is pretty neat as well. :P

11/13/2009 -- Mailed I-129F

11/17/2009 -- Received NOA 1

02/10/2010 -- NOA 2 Mailed

02/16/2010 -- NOA 2 Received (via email)

02/19/2010 -- Petition forwarded to Moscow

04/23/2010 -- Scheduled Interview - SUCCESS

07/20/2010 -- Entrance to USA POE Anchorage

08/21/2010 -- Wedding

11/04/2010 -- Mailed AOS

01/25/2011 -- AOS Interview - SUCCESS

Member of the RUB group, where high horses meet low brows.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I didn't know the Tivo was so versatile. When we purchased our TV (50" Panny plasma) we also got an LG BD570 Blu-Ray player. I did my homework on it to make sure it could do what I wanted. It'll stream movies through the network off of my computer's hard drives. It'll cover just about any movie format I've thrown at it and so far I have no complaints. And if worse comes to worse and the LG won't read a file, I also ran a 20' HDMI cable between the TV and computer and I can go that route. And playing a few computer games on the big screen is pretty neat as well. :P

we bought the LG BD530 blu-ray player back in December, got it for around 60 bucks on Amazon..I think one of the main differences is that ours doesn't have Netflix but that wasn't a deal breaker for us.. we love it.. we also have a Philips divx DVD player (not blu-ray) but it only plays files off of a DVD, this one plays most files off the USB and DVD.. I have a 3GB hard drive from on old laptop that I got an inexpensive adapter thing for that I can plug into the USB and it plays video files off of there too..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

download torrents onto one of the servers and then stream it over to the TIVO...it'll transcode it on the fly at the same time it's downloading,

In English, please!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

He downloads movies (files downloaded via a "torrent" program, probably Utorrent. It's a file sharing program) and saves them on a hard drive that's hooked into his network either directly or through another shared computer. Shared meaning files on it can be seen from other computers on the network. Transcoding means it's able to put the file pieces together before the file is completely downloaded with the torrent program. ... I think.

08/21/2010 -- Wedding

11/04/2010 -- Mailed AOS

I'm just gonna stick to studying Russian.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I was more than happy when my wife started telling me how she wanted me to buy her hard drives! Every now and then on newegg.com or Tiger Direct they have ridiculously good deals. I got a bunch of 2 TB external drives for like $100 each and connect 7 of them at a time to a USB hub. It's not the best set up for everything, but for streaming movies in-house, it's hard to beat the price.

In English, please!

Yeah...what he said! You can download just about every movie ever made off the net and make it available for watching on a TIVO, IPad, IPod, IPhone, PS3, etc. The application I've been using most recently is Vuze...I highly recommend it...it does pretty much everything right out of the box with very little set up. Search for the movie you want, select from the list and it starts transferring. Want to watch it on TIVO or some other device on your network? Drag it over to it, and it transcodes for that device (basically just converting it to a format the device can use). It's a lot like Netflix streaming except there's unlimited selection...only downside is you have to fliter out the ####### sometimes...usually pretty easy to do that though.

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

Timeline

I was more than happy when my wife started telling me how she wanted me to buy her hard drives! Every now and then on newegg.com or Tiger Direct they have ridiculously good deals. I got a bunch of 2 TB external drives for like $100 each and connect 7 of them at a time to a USB hub. It's not the best set up for everything, but for streaming movies in-house, it's hard to beat the price.

Yeah...what he said! You can download just about every movie ever made off the net and make it available for watching on a TIVO, IPad, IPod, IPhone, PS3, etc. The application I've been using most recently is Vuze...I highly recommend it...it does pretty much everything right out of the box with very little set up. Search for the movie you want, select from the list and it starts transferring. Want to watch it on TIVO or some other device on your network? Drag it over to it, and it transcodes for that device (basically just converting it to a format the device can use). It's a lot like Netflix streaming except there's unlimited selection...only downside is you have to fliter out the ####### sometimes...usually pretty easy to do that though.

I've heard a little bit about Vuze and just checked it out, it looks interesting and I might give it a try. I did a little more reading and found it used to be calle Azureus. I used Azureus years ago before switching to Utorrent, maybe I'll switch back now. :P

I have 3 external drives right now and I'd like to switch all of my storage to a NAS enclosure (network attached storage, Slim) Hide the box somewhere and forget about it.

08/21/2010 -- Wedding

11/04/2010 -- Mailed AOS

Timeline

I've heard a little bit about Vuze and just checked it out, it looks interesting and I might give it a try. I did a little more reading and found it used to be calle Azureus. I used Azureus years ago before switching to Utorrent, maybe I'll switch back now. :P

I have 3 external drives right now and I'd like to switch all of my storage to a NAS enclosure (network attached storage, Slim) Hide the box somewhere and forget about it.

I'd like to do the same, but seems like they are just too expensive. I don't want to pay more than like $20 extra per drive. I'm dreaming of a day when there's something cheap (maybe rack-mounted) that I can just plug every hard drive I've ever owned into and just keep adding to when I need more storage...something with like 50 drive bays would be ideal! No one has quite stepped up to the plate yet. I did see something the other day that was kind of cool (although I don't know if it's really necessary). It was a DVD player that would hold like 100 discs or something like that and it had a computer interface so that an attached computer could rip any of the DVDs when needed. I just need something to hold ALL my media (including my now large Ukrainian/Russian PAL collection) and make it available for streaming!

Wife's visa journey:

MIL's visa journey:

Timeline

Could always make one. I would do it again if I didn't feel like having another computer taking up space.

You'd need a computer case and associated innards. Some RAID PCI/E cards and you might have to chop up the internal rack to accommodate all your hard drives. A PSU powerfull enough to run them all. Remote desktop software. Not sure how teckie you are, but it's not all that hard. It'd be even easier to do it if you have an old computer lying around.

... just talking about this makes me want to dig through all my computer ####### and make one, but I'm sure my laziness will prevail.

08/21/2010 -- Wedding

11/04/2010 -- Mailed AOS

Timeline

Could always make one. I would do it again if I didn't feel like having another computer taking up space.

You'd need a computer case and associated innards. Some RAID PCI/E cards and you might have to chop up the internal rack to accommodate all your hard drives. A PSU powerfull enough to run them all. Remote desktop software. Not sure how teckie you are, but it's not all that hard. It'd be even easier to do it if you have an old computer lying around.

... just talking about this makes me want to dig through all my computer ####### and make one, but I'm sure my laziness will prevail.

I'm hardcore techie, so those are all things I've been thinking about. I've actually already got a couple full size cabinets (the big 7 foot tall ones) that I got super cheap and have been thinking of getting full-blown rack server hardware to put in it. It's a pretty big project though...I guess it's basically what I'm wanting but a little more work/money than I'd like...my laziness is a big factor here too. I'd probably bite the bullet and do it if not for worries about whether or not I can contain the noise! Doesn't sound like they are exactly designed for residential use! It's getting more and more tempting though...it would look so much nicer than having a bunch of externals laying around.

Edited by LvivLovers

Wife's visa journey:

MIL's visa journey:

Timeline

LOL That's on a whole other scale to what I'm thinking. :D

I remember a few years ago I was looking on craigslist and came across a govt. building giving away an old rack mounted server they had. Guy said first come, first serve. 10 minutes and 3 red light runs later, it was mine. He asked me where I parked, I said a couple of blocks away. "It's 150 lbs, buddy"... So here I am, bear hugging this freaking thing out the building with a sh!t eating grin on my face. I think half the people thought I stole it.

Anyway, long story short, it was LOUD. It turned into a 150# center piece to my old home office. Couldn't just pass up free stuff though.

08/21/2010 -- Wedding

11/04/2010 -- Mailed AOS

Timeline

LOL That's on a whole other scale to what I'm thinking. :D

I remember a few years ago I was looking on craigslist and came across a govt. building giving away an old rack mounted server they had. Guy said first come, first serve. 10 minutes and 3 red light runs later, it was mine. He asked me where I parked, I said a couple of blocks away. "It's 150 lbs, buddy"... So here I am, bear hugging this freaking thing out the building with a sh!t eating grin on my face. I think half the people thought I stole it.

Anyway, long story short, it was LOUD. It turned into a 150# center piece to my old home office. Couldn't just pass up free stuff though.

Nice! Sounds similar to my situation. My brother got them almost free from the Dayton daily news...they were moving locations or something like that. I can't imagine you pushing one a couple blocks! Those things are HEAVY! That must have looked pretty darn funny. The ones I got had huge UPS in them...easily over hundred lbs. alone...had to take those out and move them separately. I'm going to use them on some programming projects at some point, but right now I just have some shelves mounted in them to hold other computer #######.

Looks like this thread has been successfully hijacked. Too early to switch to guns and pie?

Wife's visa journey:

MIL's visa journey:

Timeline

we are headed out to Best Buy tonight to take the plunge! Alla was there before her classes today and says she found some good deals on the TV, a Home Theatre system, DVD player and a "piece of furniture" for all of it. We will see.

Then I have to call DirecTV.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

we are headed out to Best Buy tonight to take the plunge! Alla was there before her classes today and says she found some good deals on the TV, a Home Theatre system, DVD player and a "piece of furniture" for all of it. We will see.

Good for you guys! Don't forget the Blu-ray player, and you have to get your favorite movie ever on Blu-Ray. ;)

08/21/2010 -- Wedding

11/04/2010 -- Mailed AOS

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+46%22+Class+/+1080p+/+120Hz+/+LCD+HDTV/9835115.p?id=1218181016262&skuId=9835115 $749.99

Toshiba - 46" Class / 1080p / 120Hz / LCD HDTV

That's what we got..but it's lacking the ability to connect to the internet.

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.