raj1975

Do you have to be completely nude for medical exam?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

this is particularly inconvenient to lot of applicants who have to get a medical done outside of USA since in some countries and specific states only option you have is one approved doctor who is a male, so no matter what even all the female applicants irrespective of their age have to go visit this male doctor for physical exam? Even in other states in India there is no way of you choosing a female doctor or male doctor.

Unlike in US especially in India you don't have an option to choose between a male and female doctor for medical exam. very sad.

Having said that have anyone gone through medical exam in their respective countries share their experiences or of anyone from India went through the medical exam pls. share your experience.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

In Ireland, I didn't have to get naked, but I know in some countries, they at least have a quick "look" between your legs to verify that you are male/ female.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

this is particularly inconvenient to lot of applicants who have to get a medical done outside of USA since in some countries and specific states only option you have is one approved doctor who is a male, so no matter what even all the female applicants irrespective of their age have to go visit this male doctor for physical exam? Even in other states in India there is no way of you choosing a female doctor or male doctor.

Unlike in US especially in India you don't have an option to choose between a male and female doctor for medical exam. very sad.

Having said that have anyone gone through medical exam in their respective countries share their experiences or of anyone from India went through the medical exam pls. share your experience.

hi, i went and did my medical today, and yes i had to be completely nude for it. i am not sure if this is the case in all countries though.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Jamaica

Marriage (if applicable): 2009-03-17

I-130 Sent : 2009-12-21

I-130 NOA1 :

I-130 RFE : 2010,11,06

I-130 RFE Sent : 2010,12,15

I-130 Approved : 2010-03-09

Interview Date : 2011-02-17 Submit Review

life is not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!♥♥♥

if god is for you who can be against you.

blue slipped!!

-- Second Interview Date (IR-1/CR-1 Visa):

28/3/2011...APPROVED!!!!APPROVED, APPROVED!!!!!

my wife had to strip down to her undergarments and put on a gown.

May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Bogota, Colombia
Marriage: 2009-08-01
I-130 Sent : 2009-09-29
I-130 NOA1 : 2009-10-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-03-18
NVC Received : 2010-03-23
Case Completed at NVC : 2010-09-16
Interview Date : December 16, 2010
Interview Result : APPROVED
Visa Received : 12/27/10
US Entry :12/29/10
Two-year green card received: 1/19/11
SSN received: 2/2/11
Lifting of Conditions Filed 10/1/12
Lifting of Conditions NOA 10/9/12
Lifting of Conditions Biometrics Appt 10/31/12

Lifting of Conditions Approved 12/10/12

10-yr green card received 1/8/13

N-400 Naturalization Application 10/1/2013
Marital Bliss: Endless

no need to get naked in s.korea even during the chest x-ray. I've noticed that some folks with many layers of clothes are asked to change into a gown for the chest x-ray.

USCIS Journey

04/26/2010--Filed our marriage certificate in Seoul, S.Korea

04/30/2010--Wedding ceremony in Seoul, S.Korea

05/25/2010--NOA1

10/21/2010--Touched

10/22/2010--Touched (crossing fingers)

10/21/2010--NOA2 (not updated online didn't know about it until 10/26)

10/26/2010--Received a hard copy

NVC

10/28/2010--Case# assigned/Gave them both of our emails. Emailed DS3032

11/09/2010--AOS invoice generated online

11/09/2010--Paid AOS bill (processing)

11/09/2010--Sent DS3032 via email again

11/11/2010--AOS bill appeared PAID on line

11/12/2010--Received DS3032

11/15/2010--AOS arrived at NVC (according to USPS)

11/15/2010--Emailed DS3032 (this time with the scanned image)

11/17/2010--IV Bill invoice generated and paid. (in process now)

11/18/2010--IV bill showed PAID. awesome!

11/19/2010--Mailed DS230 (Priority mail because of the weekend)

11/22/2010--DS230 Delivered to NVC

12/03/2010--AOS & IV entered into system

12/08/2010--SIF

12/08/2010--Case Completed

Consulate

12/30/2010--Medical exam passed

01/14/2011--Interview - Approved!

01/17/2010--Visa delivered

USA

02/26/2010--POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

were you able to get the same gender doctor?

yes, the doctor was a female. and it's just a quick glance at the pubic area, so it will be over real fast. don't worry too much o.k

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Jamaica

Marriage (if applicable): 2009-03-17

I-130 Sent : 2009-12-21

I-130 NOA1 :

I-130 RFE : 2010,11,06

I-130 RFE Sent : 2010,12,15

I-130 Approved : 2010-03-09

Interview Date : 2011-02-17 Submit Review

life is not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!♥♥♥

if god is for you who can be against you.

blue slipped!!

-- Second Interview Date (IR-1/CR-1 Visa):

28/3/2011...APPROVED!!!!APPROVED, APPROVED!!!!!

i believe that in the dominican republic you have to strip down but on their website they specifically state that females will be examined by a female doctor while males will be examed by a male doctor...they should do this in all countries where they are required to strip down out of respect.

My Case Timeline (I-130)

03/19/07: We met

01/03/09: He proposed =D

07/17/10: Married, yay!

USCIS: VSC (188 days)

10/04/10: Sent I-130

10/12/10: NOA1 (Received text/email with receipt #)

10/14/10: "Touched"

10/16/10: NOA1 (Received hard copy I-797C)

04/18/11: NOA2 (Received text/email):D

04/22/11: NOA2 (Received hard copy I-797C)

NVC

04/25/11: NVC received my original petition

05/05/11: Received NVC Case # and IIN; gave them our emails

05/07/11: Sent DS 3032 email

05/07/11: AOS fee invoiced and paid

05/09/11: NVC accepts husband's DS-3032 email

05/10/11: AOS fee shows up as paid

05/10/11: IV fee invoiced and paid

05/11/11: Sent AOS package via overnight mail

05/12/11: IV fee shows up as paid

05/12/11: AOS package delivered (per usps tracking website)

05/14/11: Sent IV package via overnight mail

05/16/11: IV package delivered (per usps tracking website)

05/20/11: AOS package reviewed

05/25/11: IV package reviewed

05/26/11: SIF!!!

05/26/11: CC!!!

06/10/11: NVC schedules interview date

Consulate

06/27/11: Medical Exam

07/11/11: Interview: Approved!

i believe that in the dominican republic you have to strip down but on their website they specifically state that females will be examined by a female doctor while males will be examed by a male doctor...they should do this in all countries where they are required to strip down out of respect.

i agree with you, the applicant should be clearly given an option to choose a male or female doctor in any country as you mentioned. I hope the USCIS/ US Embassy/Consulates in India pass this rule as well especially because I have read the trauma the female applicants go through after getting examined with a male doctor which no one is comfortable with and surprised with. Since no clear guidelines are given to applicants on what to expect in a physical exam it is at the mercy of these male doctors, Especially in India in some states there is only one approved male doctor for that state who you can go to and even if you want to go to a different state to get the physical exam done in a approved hospital even they cannot guarantee a female doctor for a female applicant.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Canada you don't get fully naked tho you do have to take your top and bra off(if it has metal wire in it ) for the Xray but they let you put a paper gown on and theres only women in the Xray room.

In the doctors office its paper gown and underwear underneath it because the dr needs to feel your stomach and listen to your heart and lungs.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

i agree with you, the applicant should be clearly given an option to choose a male or female doctor in any country as you mentioned. I hope the USCIS/ US Embassy/Consulates in India pass this rule as well especially because I have read the trauma the female applicants go through after getting examined with a male doctor which no one is comfortable with and surprised with. Since no clear guidelines are given to applicants on what to expect in a physical exam it is at the mercy of these male doctors, Especially in India in some states there is only one approved male doctor for that state who you can go to and even if you want to go to a different state to get the physical exam done in a approved hospital even they cannot guarantee a female doctor for a female applicant.

Ok, this all does not make .... Female have to naked in front of male doctor for physical.

I am only taking about INDIA... :star:

I know from experience that even though there is only one doctor that Embassy wants or approves for the signature on the medical report.

But - all the clinic has consultant female doctors that do the physical exams to females and vice versa.

Females doctors put in report to the administrator and that report gets attached to the main report... and MAIN DOCTOR sign the final report.

I am not in agreement with last 3 lines of the previous message.

IRRESPECTIVE of which gender patient/doctor..... doctor is a doctor, they have taken a oath to do this.

There are 3 options that always work

1. There will always be a female doctor to do physical for a female applicant.

2. If there is no female, there will be a female nurse present there all the time.... if there is NONE, female applicant can always ask for it.

NOTE : with this kind of comments, doctors are also careful NOT to get involved in this kind of controversy.

3. Remember - A doctor is a doctor, they have taken a oath to do the needful for a patient.

I am sorry if I have offended someone...

Edited by Deep2009

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

This has been asked in the past. If it is specific to the country and the examiner ask then . you should if you want to live in the USA don't see much of a choice if that's where you're trying to go.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

IRRESPECTIVE of which gender patient/doctor..... doctor is a doctor, they have taken a oath to do this.

There are 3 options that always work

1. There will always be a female doctor to do physical for a female applicant.

2. If there is no female, there will be a female nurse present there all the time.... if there is NONE, female applicant can always ask for it.

NOTE : with this kind of comments, doctors are also careful NOT to get involved in this kind of controversy.

3. Remember - A doctor is a doctor, they have taken a oath to do the needful for a patient.

I am sorry if I have offended someone...

yes we know its easy to say doctor is a doctor but shouldn't the patient/applicant be given an option to choose according to their choice? In USA you have options to choose various doctors female/male but in India as I stated in some states there is only one approved doctor...in particular I have looked at Andhra Pradesh, India and it clearly states that the physical exam appointments need to be made directly with this doctor who is a male. Does this doctor follow the practice as you mentioned by having female nurse do the physical exam for a female applicant? Are you sure about this? Here is a link where it says to contact this doctor directly to make a physical exam appointment.

http://hyderabad.usconsulate.gov/medic-exam-iv.html

Edited by raj1975

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

yes we know its easy to say doctor is a doctor but shouldn't the patient/applicant be given an option to choose according to their choice? In USA you have options to choose various doctors female/male but in India as I stated in some states there is only one approved doctor...in particular I have looked at Andhra Pradesh, India and it clearly states that the physical exam appointments need to be made directly with this doctor who is a male. Does this doctor follow the practice as you mentioned by having female nurse do the physical exam for a female applicant? Are you sure about this? Here is a link where it says to contact this doctor directly to make a physical exam appointment.

http://hyderabad.usconsulate.gov/medic-exam-iv.html

They should have the female nurse there. If they are not, the applicant can ask for it.

I don't mean to offend you with my comments, same thing in Punjab, they have a one male doctor (who always works in clinic and call his patient there) but in the clinics they have female doctors to do the thing.

Edited by Deep2009

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.