Dweezy

How should I do this???

9 posts in this topic

Filed: I-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Well, the good news is all went well for me and the wife for her visa. I guess after seeing that I had traveled 36 hours from honolulu hawaii to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia for the interview they realized everything was on the up and up. They actually asked me more questions than my wife. She picks her visa up tommorow and we are both estatic, but..... and as you all know there is always a but with this immigration process, her visa is only good for 6 months. However I am on the tail end of the visa process for my stepdaughter, and seeing as my wife is her only caretaker I cannot expect her to travel without her so I am asking this. What happens after she travels to the united states, what paperwork do I file then. Is it permenant residency paperwork? and if say for instance she travels to the united states on month 4 of her visa, if her visa expires while I am filing the permenant residency paperwork will they deport her or something. I know I should be happy about the visa, and I am and feel very blessed but if it aint one thing its another and your guys and gals help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Someone correct me if i'm wrong :D ...but your wife will get a GC when she comes to the US ( not upon arrival, it'll be mailed to her), no extra filing required. depending on if you've been married for 2yrs or less she'll get a 2yr or 10yr GC. If shegets a 2yr Conditional GC she has to ROC 90 days before it expires if she receives a 10yr payment she'll be eligible for citizenship in three yrs.

AOS From B2 Journey

8/13/10: AOS Package Sent

8/16/10: Package Received at Chicago Lock Box

8/26/10: Checks Cleared and Case Transferred to NBC

8/30/10: NOA Text/ Email and Hard Copy

8/31/10: Case Status Appears On USCIS Site

9/9/10: I-130 I-485 I-765 Touched

10/5/10: Called USCIS abt "No Bio Letter" / Service Request

10/13/10: Hard Copy Service Request

10/20/10: I-765 I-485 Touched

10/21/10: I-765 I-485 Touched Again :-)

10/23/10: Biometric Letter Received For Nov 15 App

11/15/10: Biometric Appointment

11/15/10: EAD Approved..... I-485 & I-765 Touched

11/16/10: Card Production Ordered.....I-485 & I-765 Touched

11/19/10: Card Production text and email received again for I-765. I-765 Touched

11/23/10: EAD Received

11/29/10: Applied for ID and SS card

12/04/10: SS card and AOS Interview Letter received

01/04/11: AOS Interview..APPROVED!!!

01/13/11: Green Card Received

ROC JOURNEY

10/09/12: ROC Filed

10/12/12: Package delivered to VCS

10/17/12: Check cashed, but no NOA1 yet.

10/20/12: NOA1 hardcopy received. Dated 10/15/12

11/09/12: Biometrics Notice

12/04/12: Biometrics Done

01/04/13: 2yr GC expires

04/26/13: RFE :-(

05/22/13: REF Response Mailed

06/06/13: Text and Email update: Card production ordered!!!

06/10/13: USCIS update about card mailed!

06/12/13: CARD RECEIVED!!! dancin5hr.gif

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Well, the good news is all went well for me and the wife for her visa. I guess after seeing that I had traveled 36 hours from honolulu hawaii to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia for the interview they realized everything was on the up and up. They actually asked me more questions than my wife. She picks her visa up tommorow and we are both estatic, but..... and as you all know there is always a but with this immigration process, her visa is only good for 6 months. However I am on the tail end of the visa process for my stepdaughter, and seeing as my wife is her only caretaker I cannot expect her to travel without her so I am asking this. What happens after she travels to the united states, what paperwork do I file then. Is it permenant residency paperwork? and if say for instance she travels to the united states on month 4 of her visa, if her visa expires while I am filing the permenant residency paperwork will they deport her or something. I know I should be happy about the visa, and I am and feel very blessed but if it aint one thing its another and your guys and gals help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Your profile says I-1 visa, but you posted in the K3 visa forum, so not sure which visa your wife has. If CR1 or IR1, her green card signifying permanent resident status will just come in the mail a month or so after she arrives. Those are single entry visas, so once used, the expiration date is meaningless.

Which visa did she get?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

She got a K-3

Thanks to the both of you for your input thats a relief to hear.

Not if it expires in six months, she didn't. A K3 visa from Ethiopia would be valid for two years, not six months. If she got a spouse visa, it was a CR1 or IR1, depending on how long you've been married. Check the visa itself and see what it says as to category and expiration.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Not if it expires in six months, she didn't. A K3 visa from Ethiopia would be valid for two years, not six months. If she got a spouse visa, it was a CR1 or IR1, depending on how long you've been married. Check the visa itself and see what it says as to category and expiration.

Is K3 still being issued? :blink:

N400

Filing based on 3yrs/USC Spouse. 3 year residency anniversary is in August 2014. Filed immediately after the 90-day early filing mark (May 2014)

05/06/2014 - Mailed N-400

05/15/2014 - Check cashed

05/12/2014 - NOA Date

06/11/2014 - Biometrics Appointment

09/15/2014 - Inline for interview scheduling (was stuck in "Initial Review" for over 3 months!)

10/27/2014 - Scheduled for interview

12/01/2014 - Interview

12/19/2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN!

When the visa is issued, your wife has 6 months to use it to enter the US.

Once she enters, she must have an I-94 card already filled up (they distribute this on the plane, so she must complete it before reaching the US), and hand it to the POE officer. She will get it back, stapled in her passport (please do not lose it nor leave the airport without it stapled in the passport), the validity must be 2 years from the date she arrived.

Your journey is not quite over yet. She must now apply for adjustment of status. The K3 visa is only a temporary resident visa, which doesn't entitle her to a green card yet....the adjustment of status application will change her status from temporary resident to permanent resident.

How long have you guys been married? Your answer will determine if she will receive a 2-year conditional green card or a 10 year-green card at the end of the adjustment of status process.

She got a K-3

Thanks to the both of you for your input thats a relief to hear.

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

Timeline

Is K3 still being issued? :blink:

Yes but rarely. One was reported issued within the past month or so. If a case was delayed or had some other special circumstances an I-129F could have been forwarded to a Consulate some time ago or the rare one gets sent to NVC separate from the I-130. NVC is cutting all but the rare exception off at the pass for a year now but if one gets to a Consulate, the Consulate deals with it.

The key here is the OP said the visa expires in six months. So, that wouldn't be a K3 visa. K3 visas from Ethiopia and almost all other countries are good for two years.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.