81 posts in this topic

It is really bad reasoning on her part.

I, too, just want one perfect wedding and we have a small budget, but I worked with it and I was able to raise more money for it too and now it is everything that I want but it is because I worked for it. And 3,500 is a perfectly doable budget as long as she gets her dress from a place like david's bridal, and hires a friend to do the photos/video. also a garden wedding is cheap and can be decorated on a small budget. BUT THAT IS BESIDE THE POINT. She should want to be with you more than have a wedding, because the wedding is just a day, the MARRIAGE IS FOREVER. And also bear in mind that AOS is also not cheap.

This is a major red flag, be careful. And I hope you work things out.

Also when is she planning the wedding? Mine is this April and I did everything myself. I offer my services to help her out in creating a perfect wedding for that budget if you decide to push through with an earlier date :)

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Also when is she planning the wedding? Mine is this April and I did everything myself. I offer my services to help her out in creating a perfect wedding for that budget if you decide to push through with an earlier date :)

The wedding is (was) planned august 6th in Oklahoma, so feaking hot. Dont know about a outside wedding.

K1:

09/17/10 - I-129F filed

09/20/10 - Package arrived in Dallas,TX

09/22/10 - NOA1 (e-mail), routed to VSC

Well churches only charge about $150.. and there are a ton of cheap reception halls. really, 3500 is completely doable! if i were in her shoes and i was that desperate for a big wedding, i wouldnt delay the wedding, i would just ask oprah or ellen to help, i would write to them! the solution here isnt to postpone it, there are so many ways to get creative. "If there's a will, there's a way"

sigh, i wish you luck and hope this works out!

Oh and the oprah and ellen thing is just an example lol :)

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Oprah today and Jerry Springer next year?

:D hehe...

holland-flag-44.gifunited-states-flag-88.gif

heart-119.gif August 28th, 2011: Wedding heart-119.giflove-182.gif

AOS
August 31th, 2011: applied for SS#
September 6th: received SS#
September 26th, 2011: AOS sent
September 30th, 2011: NOA1
October 6th, 2011: NOA1 hard copy
October 26th,2011: Biometrics
October 28th, 2011: case transferred to California for faster processing
December 5th, 2011: received EAD/AP card
February 22nd, 2012: Green card in production
February 27th, 2012: GREEN CARD in hand, yaaay!!!

November 10th, 2013: ROC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

okay..I will say what many people who read your thread are probably thinking. She wants to wait and get married in

about 17 months because she can only spend $3500 on her wedding???...SERIOUSLY?????...Of course this is an important day in many girls lives...dreams and hopes etc. but in spite of your saying how upset she seems to be, her priorities are completely selfcentered. She thinks she deserves to have everything "Fabulous" and needs more money to feel important. If you arent positive you are going to be VERY rich very soon....you may want to think about this...because

you will have this same problem over and over. Your marriage might be a disaster. I would at least make sure she understands that you will have to cancel the current visa if you need to wait 17 months....if she says yes....Perhaps

it is for the best.

:thumbs::yes: Oh God I so wanted to say all that you said. She is being so selfish and seems that the big wedding is more important than being with her man . Sorry if offends Brian but you need to seriously think about this relationship before paying any more money for visa.

Edited by Barbara J

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

; Hi Brian!!

I just read your post and I can imagine that this is very stressful for you.

You guys have gone such a long way already, and you'll receive your NOA2 within a month or so. It would be stupid to cancel the K1 Visa Process, where you already paid the fee and other oncost, just because of having a big wedding.

As a girl, I also dream(ed) about my princess dream wedding. But like I said, you have to "roeien met de riemen die je hebt" (I don't know the English saying). Use the tools you have, something like that :rolleyes:.

I don't really understand that she is thinking about herself only. Especially this far on the journey. A year is nothing compared to a life time together? Well, why not adding this year to your lives together, it's a whole year, 365 days!! DANG, I would walk over dead bodies to be with Aaron and can't wait for an other year, like most members here.

It's not fair that she doesn't put herself open to alternatives. There is nothing wrong to put everything on PAPER first and save money (AND BE TOGETHER) for her 'dream' wedding. Instead, she wants to be seperate from you for an other year. Doesn't make sense to me at all :blink:. If you love each other, nothing else matters.

Why a big wedding, if your love counts? Does she wants to make a huge impression to her family/friends? Is that what really matters? IMPOV, not really... It's about you and her.

It's selfish of her, and what if things like this happen in your married future? That only her opinion counts?!

You really should talk to her, deal with this as a couple and tell her that she should considder your suggestion. WEDDING IS WEDDING, it's about the wedding vows, not about all the fancy stuff around it. The fancy stuff around it will dissapear after a day, but your promises/vows will last a life time...

Keep us posted, and remember;

Love is a partnership, not some one way street...

xoxox Channah :innocent:

Agreed!! :thumbs:

"The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it."

06/20/2009 - Met online ( I am from Philippines and he's from Wisconsin)

04/26/2010 - Met in Philippines (for 2 weeks)

05/08/2010 - Officially engaged!! ( He sent the engagement ring 09/24/2010 and he proposed to me on bended knee in Philippines with the second part of engagement ring) *melting*

06/18/2010 - I-129F package Sent

06/21/2010 - NOA1

06/24/2010 - Touched

09/23/2010 - Touched (when I contacted the Congressman's office)

11/15/2010 - Touched (hopefully the approval)

11/17/2010 - NOA2 (Received hard copy 11/22/2010)

12/01/2010 - Received a letter from DOS dated 11/29/2010 stating that the petition will be forwared to USE AD within a week and that I will received the packets very soon from embassy.

01/18/2011 - Interview. APPROVED!!! No words can express how happy i am.

01/25/2011 - VISA in hand! YAY!!!

02/20/2011 - POE Chicago (O'hare)

05/14/2011 - Our Wedding day

Timeline

:thumbs::yes: Oh God I so wanted to say all that you said. She is being so selfish and seems that the big wedding is more important than being with her man . Sorry if offends Brian but you need to seriously think about this relationship before paying any more money for visa.

Thats what's going on in my head too :(

K1:

09/17/10 - I-129F filed

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thats what's going on in my head too :(

Oh darling I do sympathize with you. How old are you? if you don't mind me asking. All I can say is be so careful as this is a big commitment financially as well as personally.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

How long has she been talking about postponing the wedding to be able to have a bigger/better one next year? If this has just come up in the last day or two, I really would just give her a couple of days to consider the options and what she really can and can't live without.

From personal experience, I find in the heat of a discussion that I want to win, I say things are perfectly reasonable or else entirely impossible one day and after venting with a few friends (who try to gently set me straight), and deliberating about the reality of a situation, sometimes my perspective changes.

If she is a reasonable person she will face the reality of your situation soon enough - she might not be able to have her "dream wedding" in August, but she can still have a beautiful wedding for $3500. Like others have said, it's just "stuff" after all, but these are memories especially SHE will cherish for a long time, so she has to figure out what she can ultimately be happy with.

I wouldn't go throwing out ultimatums about your relationship yet, though (unless this has been going on for months). Almost everyone fights about money during wedding planning.

April, 2009 - We met

May, 2009 - We wooed

June, 2010 - We got engaged, looking forward to a small August 2010 wedding

** Reality Check: K-1 Process**

July 22, 2010 - NOA1

**5 months of patient waiting**

December 29, 2011 - call around for information about delay

January 5, 2011 - RFE notice (first online status update yet!)

January 10, 2011 - RFE Hardcopy

January 13, 2011 - RFE Response acknowledged

January 24, 2011 - NOA2 (at last!!)

February 3, 2011 - application sent from NVC to Montreal (aka. the Abyss?)

March 7, 2011 - Packet 3 sent to me

March 10, 2011 - Packet 3 delivered to Montreal

March 21, 2011 - Packet 4 sent to me

April 5, 2011 - Medical

April 13, 2011 - Interview - approved!

April 20, 2011 - visa in hand

May 9, 2011 - POE (Buffalo, NY)

May 10, 2011 - wedding :)

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi Brian,

We are november filler, and we are waiting to get our NOA2. We are not having a big wedding either (I'm still at scollege), but we are still having food, cake, tux and gown! Maybe you could try to do something small only for closest friends and family.

Then if she doesnt like the idea of having a small wedding now, maybe you could do something later in the future, like a celebration for your anniversary for example.

It's possible to find cheap things for small weddings.

regards,

T&R

K1 Journey - Vermont Serv. Center
I-29F sent: Nov-12-2010
I-29F NOA1: Nov-17-2010
RFE: Apr-19-2011
*I-29F NOA2: May-23-2011 - Thank you Lord!
Package Left from NVC: Jun-1-2011
Interview Date: Aug-5-2011
K1 Visa Received: Aug-10-2011
US Entry: Aug-12-2011
*Wedding Date: Aug-21-2011!!!

AOS & EAD
Applied for SSN: Aug-30-2011
*SSN received: Sep-09-2011
AOS and EAD process sent (USPS): Sep-26-2011
NOA1 sms notice: Oct-14-2011
Got check back of $380 for EAD: Oct-20-2011
$1070 cashed check: Oct-21-2011
NOA1 hardcopies for I-485 & I-765: Oct-21-2011
Biometrics: Dec-15-2011
*EAD received: Jan-6-2012

Timeline

Oh darling I do sympathize with you. How old are you? if you don't mind me asking. All I can say is be so careful as this is a big commitment financially as well as personally.

I'm 22.

How long has she been talking about postponing the wedding to be able to have a bigger/better one next year? If this has just come up in the last day or two, I really would just give her a couple of days to consider the options and what she really can and can't live without.

From personal experience, I find in the heat of a discussion that I want to win, I say things are perfectly reasonable or else entirely impossible one day and after venting with a few friends (who try to gently set me straight), and deliberating about the reality of a situation, sometimes my perspective changes.

If she is a reasonable person she will face the reality of your situation soon enough - she might not be able to have her "dream wedding" in August, but she can still have a beautiful wedding for $3500. Like others have said, it's just "stuff" after all, but these are memories especially SHE will cherish for a long time, so she has to figure out what she can ultimately be happy with.

I wouldn't go throwing out ultimatums about your relationship yet, though (unless this has been going on for months). Almost everyone fights about money during wedding planning.

She started to bring this up yesterday. After she had a talk with her famly, who wouldnt be able to pay for the wedding.

K1:

09/17/10 - I-129F filed

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hello Brian,

I too was curious about your ages when I read the post. I was married (the first time) 2 months before I turned 22. I had the big wedding with the dress, flowers, the place, the photographer, the cake, you name it. I seriously want your fiance to see this post...

1. The train of the dress was permanently stained because the venue didn't MOP before the wedding.

2. The photographer drove me absolutely nuts during the entire wedding and I spent most of the time on the back patio trying to hide from her. When I wasn't hiding from her I was arguing with her about how I WAS NOT going to change out of my dress 20 minutes after the wedding and "fake" leaving so she could go home early.

3. My $450.00 cake fell over- Never purchase a "quake cake" apparently it's literal.

4. The AC went out

5. My mom forgot my wedding dress at the cleaners and had to call and beg them to get it before the wedding.

6. I puked every day for 2 months straight from the stress of getting married.

7. It was supposed to take an hour to do my hair...it took 3.

Do you want me to keep going? Not that I wasn't happy to have it at the time, when I look back on it, A LOT of it was wasted money. My mom offered me $5,000 to go to Vegas and get married instead of the wedding planning...When I look back, I wish I HAD gone that route.

So, I am married again. The TOTAL cost for my second wedding was less than $250.00. No vomit, no stained dress, no crappy over paid photographers. I had a brand new dress, fresh flowers I purchased and arranged, a cake from Sam's Club, and was surrounded by friends and family while married by a JP in my brother's backyard.

Can you guess which wedding I would rather have again?

"You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the person you can't live without."

Mailed K-1 on 2-6-10

USCIS received packet on 2-8-10

NOA 1: Received 2-16-10

NOA 2: Approved 4-29-10 (72 Days)

NVC Forwarded Petition to London- 5-6-10

NVC Letter Received: 5-7-1010

London Received Packet: 5-14-10

London Mailed Packet to Rob: 5-18-10

Packet 3 Received by Rob: 5-22-2010

Packet 3 paperwork mailed to Rob 6-12-10

Medical- July 8, 2010

Everything mailed to Embassy 7-19-10

Interview Date: 9-14-10- Approved pending non-machine washed replacement passport.

Entry to US- 10-6-10 POE- Newark

Wedding- 10-23-10

AOS

Mailed AOS paperwork to the Chicago lockbox 1-7-11

Delivery Notification 1-10-11

Text stating application was received 1-20-11

Check Cashed 1-21-11

NOA 1 received 1-22-11

Biometrics letter received 1-29--11

Biometrics appointment 2-24-11

Received notice- I-485 has been transferred to the California Service Center 2-9-11.

3-11-11 - EAD production ordered

3-19-11- EAD Received

3-31-2011- AOS approved without interview

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

I think the common thread here is priorities and working together. Being ready to marry means willing to take these things in perspective...it is not about "bridezilla" - sounds like a case of this. And if that is the case, you can expect the same in other similar aspects of your life with her, too...

I-751 Removal of Conditions sent - 9/7/13

NOA1 received - 9/17/13

Biometrics appointment - 10/8/13

Removal of Conditions approved - 12/16/13

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I'm 22.

She started to bring this up yesterday. After she had a talk with her famly, who wouldnt be able to pay for the wedding.

Well Brian89,

First of all I am sorry you are having to go through this problem, and yet you're not even married. It's stressful enough being seperated from the one you love. Figuratively both of you avoided a pothole and went off the K1 rode to happiness; yes it's about marriage and a marriage is hard work in which both parties must support one another through the good and the rough times. It takes sacrifices and also compromises, always considering what is the best for BOTH. Dialog and sound communications are keys to a healthy marriage, so I could only wish you the very best in getting that 'tow truck' to place you two back on that K1 road to happiness! That 'tow truck' are the above tools just mentioned to you. Remember the vows one takes in wedlock : In sickness and in health, for better or for worse, for richer and for poorer, tell death due us part ( or a cost of a wedding ). My best to you in hopes that everything works out !

Most respectfully,

E&R4Ever

p.s. forgive me if i stumbled on the vows :bonk:

Jan 18 2011 => I-129F sent

Jan 26 2011 => E-Notification & Text Message received

Jan 26 2011 => Check cashed

Jan 31 2011 => NOA1 Hard Copy Received dated 1/25/2011

May 18 2011 => E-Mail RFE Notification

May 23 2011 => RFE Hard copy Received

May 24 2011 => Mailed RFE back to CSC

May 25 2011 => CSC e-mailed confirming RFE reply accepted. Awaiting decision.....

Jun 01 2011 => E-Mailed NOA2 Approval

Jun 06 2011 => NOA2 Hard copy received in mail

Jun 16 2011 => NVC Received Petition

Jun 17 2011 => NVC Sent Petition to CDJ

Jul 11 2011 => SUPPOSEDLY CDJ SENT PKT 3

Aug 11 2011 => NEVER RECEIVED PKT 3 and finally CDJ asnwered questions to proceed with making Consulate Appt

Aug 23 2011 => INTERVIEW DATE. Never told we were approved. Had to wait for decision from DHL Package!

Aug 30 2011 => Received DHL Package. Found we were aproved!!!

Sep 02 2011 => POE CDJ

Sep 04 2011 => My Babe is home at last!!!

Sep 2011 => Wedding

" Con Amor todo se Puede! "

Eff Y Ros por Siempre!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.