chinausa

ATTENTION: SSN and Name change after get married!!

38 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I originally tried to get it in my married name when i first applied and was told it had to be in my maiden name so thats how they did it.... I never received my card so i had to call them... I then had to go to the office to get my number where the man i saw actually tried to change the name as i had my noa and my marriage certificate... The system wouldn't let him change it.

The office where we have to go is over an hour drive away so i'm just going to wait until i have my green card.

Wait for your Green Card? I think you mean wait for your EAD and then go to the SSA office to get your name changed.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8066925138937638623#
Angels Still Don't Play This HAARP

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Wait for your Green Card? I think you mean wait for your EAD and then go to the SSA office to get your name changed.

Not necessarily. I waited till I got my GC because then I could change my name AND get the "DHS Authorisation" removed at the same time. The OP could be doing the same esp seeing their nearest SSA is an hour away (like mine).

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Got my EAD and went to SSA yesterday. They refused to change my name on my SSN and told me to get a court order to change my name legally. She also said that she did not know why DHS would change my name on my EAD. :angry:

Our AOS Journey started:

Nov 06, 2010: CS & CQ got married in Las Vegas

Nov 26, 2010: AOS-EAD-AP package sent out

Nov 29, 2010: Package delivered at 1:12pm

Dec 10, 2010: Received text messages from USCIS regarding receipt numbers for AOS, EAD, and AP

Dec 14, 2010: Received three I-797C from mail

Dec 18, 2010: Touched

Jan 05, 2011: Received RFE for I-485 (email)

Jan 10, 2011: Received RFE for I-485 (hardcopy)

Jan 11, 2011: Sent response to RFE for I-485 (Fedex/UPS do not deliver to PO Box. Only USPS does and it takes 2 days even for Express Post)

Jan 13, 2011: Response to RFE delivered

Jan 14, 2011: Touched

Jan 15, 2011: Touched

Jan 18, 2011: Received Biometric Appointment letter in mail

Jan 21, 2011: Biometric Appointment (Walk-in Successful)

Feb 10, 2011: Biometric Appointment (Originally Scheduled)

Feb 12, 2011: Received 1st text/email for EAD card in production and AP was APPROVED

Feb 17, 2011: Received 2nd text/email for EAD card in production

Feb 18, 2011: Received 3rd text/email for EAD card has been mailed out

Feb 18, 2011: Received AP!!!! YAY!!!!

Feb 22, 2011: Received EAD!!!!

Feb 22, 2011: Received letter for 2nd fingerprints :(

Mar 17, 2011: 2nd fingerprints

May 02, 2011: AOS Interview Approved!!!!!!

May 07, 2011: Received "Welcome to America" letter

May 09, 2011: Received Green Card. Yay!!!!!

as1cHvOuM2B0010MDA3MjM5cHN8NDUyOTY1c3xIYXBwaWx5IE1hcnJpZWQ.gif

Filed: Timeline

Got my EAD and went to SSA yesterday. They refused to change my name on my SSN and told me to get a court order to change my name legally. She also said that she did not know why DHS would change my name on my EAD.

If the passport has the same name as the EAD card either go back to that office and speak with a manager if you get turned away again or try another office.

RM 10212.001 Defining the Legal Name for an SSN

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212001

B. Evidence of legal name

2. Foreign born individual

A foreign-born person’s legal name is the name shown on his or her immigration document.

The only time you may process an SSN application in a name that does not agree with the name shown on the immigration document is if the person legally changed his or her name after the immigration document is issued. In these situations, the legal name is the name shown on the evidence of the name change.

a. Name on immigration document and other evidence for an SSN are different

When the name shown on the immigration document differs from the name shown on other evidence submitted for an SSN, process the SSN in the name on the immigration document as long as the name can be derived from the other evidence (e.g., foreign passport).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

TRAINING SSA 'employees' is fun, yes?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

• 5 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi everyone, i need a piece of advice. I just got my SSN name changed recently and they let me use my maiden middle name as my middle name now after marriage. i am so confused. In the Phil. we always carry our maiden last name as our middle name after marriage, right? Example: Jessa Uy Lim marries Juan Delacruz so after marriage Jessa wanted to change her name into Jessa Lim Delacruz...Is this possible here in the US? Because in my case, the SSA did not allow me to carry my last name as my middle name after marriage. Instead they have me this ex: Jessa Uy Delacruz. Do you guys experienced the same issue as mine? Pls help..i need to settle everything before filing my AOS. I am not comfortable using my maiden middle name as my married middle name because I'm afraid when I sign papers/documents in the future esp in the Phil..I will become inconsistent with my records. I wanted to have Jessa Lim Delacruz as my married name..but how can I change this when my SS card now has Jessa Uy Delacruz printed on it. Where should I go? whom should I talk to? I called DMV and SSA to let me have the nae I want but they didn't allow me. Thank you guys

Filed: Timeline

hi everyone, i need a piece of advice. I just got my SSN name changed recently and they let me use my maiden middle name as my middle name now after marriage. i am so confused. In the Phil. we always carry our maiden last name as our middle name after marriage, right? Example: Jessa Uy Lim marries Juan Delacruz so after marriage Jessa wanted to change her name into Jessa Lim Delacruz...Is this possible here in the US? Because in my case, the SSA did not allow me to carry my last name as my middle name after marriage. Instead they have me this ex: Jessa Uy Delacruz. Do you guys experienced the same issue as mine? Pls help..i need to settle everything before filing my AOS. I am not comfortable using my maiden middle name as my married middle name because I'm afraid when I sign papers/documents in the future esp in the Phil..I will become inconsistent with my records. I wanted to have Jessa Lim Delacruz as my married name..but how can I change this when my SS card now has Jessa Uy Delacruz printed on it. Where should I go? whom should I talk to? I called DMV and SSA to let me have the nae I want but they didn't allow me. Thank you guys

If SSA office told you that you couldn't use your maiden name as your middle name when changing your name due to marriage, they were wrong. SSA doesn't consider your middle name as part of your legal name, so as long as you have the marriage document to establish the change of your last name you can make your middle name your maiden name, since changing your middle name isn't a change of your legal name.

RM 10205.120 How the Number Holder’s Name is Shown on SSN Card

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110205120

The number holder’s first and last name on his or her SSN card must agree with the first and last name shown on the document submitted as evidence of identity or legal name. A middle name or suffix is not considered part of the legal name. It does not matter if the middle name or suffix is included, omitted, or incorrectly shown on an SSN card.

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

In our case, we applied my SSN after we got married and my 1-94 has an ample time for expiration ( 47 days before expiration) but the officer refused to accepts our application as we already married and K1-visa is no longer applicable in our case. If we applied before we got hitched then he will accept and process our application and change to my married name thereafter once we got married and bring the marriage certificate as a proof for name change. He told us to wait for my EAD or Green Card (3 mons of waiting is sucks!)everything seems hold for awhile without SSN. I would say,it all depends on the officers others they dont have problem getting SSN.

To be safe, apply SSN before you got married ( 14 days) after arrival..and apply for name change thereafter once you got hitched and bring MC as a proof of name change.

SSN without I94 (K1 Visa)

After a visit to the local Social Security office here in Minneapolis, the officer and supervisor reassured me that she is able to have an SSN without her I-94, as long as we bring a certified marriage certificate. Without being married (and on a K1 visa) she needs the I94 for the system to accept her. *THEY SAID IT DOES NOT MATTER WHETHER HER NAME IS DIFFERENT ON THE MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE, THEY ARE ABLE TO PROCESS IT*

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.