Messybrownhair

Affidavit of Support for AOS question

16 posts in this topic

So here's the deal.

My fiance (I am the beneficiary) is in the PA National Guard and he is also a security guard on the side. He graduated from Military school May 2010 and started work last year officially (as a commissioned officer). For k1 we were approved even without any tax things (w2 and 1040) based solely on his employment letter, military orders and salary forms from the NG and Securitas. But that was because he had been working less than a year then and so he's never had any w2s or anything. But when we file AOS (April 2011) we will need to show his 2010 tax returns right? He has his w2 but he does not know where to get the 1040 or what to do afterwards, this is the first time we're doing this. Can someone help? What exactly do we need and how do we go on about in obtaining it?

His dad will be a co-sponsor, but he is a self-employed man owning a construction company so i think he files it differently (though he will give us his last 3-years tax returns and he makes a lot of money)

hope someone can enlighten me! all the military has given him is the w2. we dont know whats next! THANKS :)

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

The 1040 is the tax return form that he files himself (it is often referred to as simply "tax return"). He will fill it out ( here http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf) and in doing so calculate whether or not his tax withholdings were correct. He will send in his W2 with the 1040 to show his wages. This and any other supplements he may be required to file (different for every person) will constitute the "complete tax return" required for the I-864. Since he was not married at the end of 2010, he will file as "single." Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

To get a 1040 he needs to prepare his taxes. If he wants help with this he could go to H&R block (just search google for a location near you). They will probably charge $30-$50 if his only tax document is a W-2. they will fill out the 1040 for you.

If he wants to do the taxes on his own he could go to a tax prep website. there are many. Turbotax.com is one of the most popular. there is also taxact.com many more. My company makes one called complete tax http://www.wkus.completetax.com

If he graduated from school in 2010 then he will probably get a tax document from the school. It's called a 1098-T and will allow him to get a credit on his taxes (depending on how much tuition he paid vs had paid for him by scholarships).

07/28/2009 Met on LDSlinkup.com

09/04/2009 Relationship officially started

06/11/2010 Met in Philippines

06/30/2010 Traveled to Singapore together

07/05/2010 I had to go back to the US

07/22/2010 I-129F mailed

07/24/2010 Delivery confirmation says I-129F received. Waiting for NOA1

08/02/2010 Check Cashed still waiting for NOA1

08/05/2010 NOA 1 received!!!!!!!!!!! (dated 07/29/2010)

12/21/2010 NOA 2 received!!!!!!!!!!! (dated 12/14/2010)

12/29/2010 NVC letter

01/12/2011 Packet 3!!!!!

02/02/2011 Sent checklist back to embassy....Waiting for phone call....

03/03/2011 She had her interview...Lacking of evidence....told her what to get and told her to come back

03/30/2011 She went back to the embassy....This time we had everything...K-1 approved; not in hand yet

Lol he assumed that the military will file it for him. Okay thanks everyone and we will get to work on this right away! Does it take long to get back? Where do we send it to? We send both the w2 from his army and security company right?

My Journey:

I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Military does not file taxes for you. BUT he can go on base and get free tax preperation by them. He will have to book an appointment for it and they will do all his forms for free after which he can choose either electronic submission or mail submission. Electronic can bring a faster tax return usually.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

yes, follow Inky's advice. I don't know much about the military but what inky said makes sense. And bring all W-2s and the 1098-T (the school should have sent that) to the appointment.

07/28/2009 Met on LDSlinkup.com

09/04/2009 Relationship officially started

06/11/2010 Met in Philippines

06/30/2010 Traveled to Singapore together

07/05/2010 I had to go back to the US

07/22/2010 I-129F mailed

07/24/2010 Delivery confirmation says I-129F received. Waiting for NOA1

08/02/2010 Check Cashed still waiting for NOA1

08/05/2010 NOA 1 received!!!!!!!!!!! (dated 07/29/2010)

12/21/2010 NOA 2 received!!!!!!!!!!! (dated 12/14/2010)

12/29/2010 NVC letter

01/12/2011 Packet 3!!!!!

02/02/2011 Sent checklist back to embassy....Waiting for phone call....

03/03/2011 She had her interview...Lacking of evidence....told her what to get and told her to come back

03/30/2011 She went back to the embassy....This time we had everything...K-1 approved; not in hand yet

Lol he assumed that the military will file it for him. Okay thanks everyone and we will get to work on this right away! Does it take long to get back? Where do we send it to? We send both the w2 from his army and security company right?

Ask your fiance to ask his dad to have a talk about taxes. Where to send and what to send are in the instructions. You don't "get it back." You must make a photocopy for your records before you send it out. If you use a tax prep company, they will give you a copy. You may get money back, but the IRS keeps the form for themselves. Good luck.

1040 instructions here:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040.pdf

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Yeah the military will do his tax for him as he is active yes? Once you do that and you get it electronically which is so much faster right into your account,(approx 2 weeks) but as he will file single they slug single men here in the states depending on what he earned. Send all that off with your AOS and then wait again.

Edited by Barbara J

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah the military will do his tax for him as he is active yes? Once you do that and you get it electronically which is so much faster right into your account,(approx 2 weeks) but as he will file single they slug single men here in the states depending on what he earned. Send all that off with your AOS and then wait again.

Don't have to be active just have to have military ID you can be a retired military or a military veteran. They will do your taxes on base for free. You just have to make an appointment with them.

They don't just do the taxes automatically tho.

You must go and bring your forms to the appointment is what I was meaning.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Don't have to be active just have to have military ID you can be a retired military or a military veteran. They will do your taxes on base for free. You just have to make an appointment with them.

MMM My husband is retired military and we went to H&R Block was quicker as we walked straight in lol

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

You all have been most helpful. I will make sure he reads this and we get it started soon. Thanks!!!

My Journey:

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Military veteran you say? On base?... good to know. Doubt there's a base near us but I know the H&R block charged us about $150 last year to file and we only had Tony's W2 and student loan. I didn't earn anything. $150 was not what we were expecting but we got a nice return so it wasn't the end of the world.

Hi Just a quick update.

We have his w2 from the National Guard, and the 1098-T and we are still waiting for the w2 from the security company.

I have another question that might seem silly, when we go somewhere to file the taxes, do we get like 2 copies of the 1040? do we send the "original" or do we photocopy? how about the w2? coz don't we need it for the AOS as well? or is it easy to get copies of it? just wondering, and thanks!

lastly, will it matter if he hasn't earned much for 2010? i mean he's only been working since june, and it's not much. if we have a co-sponsor, do you think we will be okay? his dad makes over 60k a year.

thanks again!

My Journey:

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

ANYBODY? :)

My Journey:

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Just a quick update.

We have his w2 from the National Guard, and the 1098-T and we are still waiting for the w2 from the security company.

I have another question that might seem silly, when we go somewhere to file the taxes, do we get like 2 copies of the 1040? do we send the "original" or do we photocopy? how about the w2? coz don't we need it for the AOS as well? or is it easy to get copies of it? just wondering, and thanks!

lastly, will it matter if he hasn't earned much for 2010? i mean he's only been working since june, and it's not much. if we have a co-sponsor, do you think we will be okay? his dad makes over 60k a year.

thanks again!

just send a photocopy of the entire return including the w-2's, et al...

if you need a co-sponsor it is fine

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.