visawandering

Second K-1 Visa

110 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Several years, after establishing yourself financially and accumulating copious, unimpeachable proof of a bona fide relationship.

I own my home and a rental property. My student loans are more than enough to live off of and I have a co-sponsor. I already have more than enough evidence of a relationship as we had talked online, sent letters, texts, emails and gifts back and forth for years and we have been in each other's company for nearly two months.

Timeline

Hi, I am a k1 filer from Manila, who just got recently approved. I agree with the part about it being hard since you are a student. I am 23 and my fiance is 22, we met on a school-exchange program, and he filed a k1 for me. He graduated from military school May 2010 and he started working afterwards in the National Guard and as a security guard as well. Because he just started working, we had no tax returns or anything, but we had his dad co-sponsor for us. He came to my interview, and it was just a few weeks ago. Almost got denied because he had a small salary ( just above the requirement) and we were told by the CO that they do not consider co-sponsor for k1... the only reason we were approved is because I showed my work experience in Manila and China as a speech therapist and showed my diploma for them to see that I do not intend for my fiance to support me since I will work once I get my GC. So it might be hard on your part, a co-sponsor will not be enough..

that is incorrect. you may have a co-sponsor for your affidavit of support.

Sorry if my response is wrong but i did not mean to insult you. I read your post well and if you think what we say here is disrespectful, i think you have to ask a legal advice since it is serious situation. You can not just ask to people who even how many members here who is expert about it?. Good luck.

I have met with 6 immigration attorneys. I asked members for their experience because perhaps they have firt-hand knowledge of a similar situation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
When you say it could take years...do you mean I should wait that long or they will hold the process up? What could they do to delay the process? Is that all it would be, a delay? Meaning, am I likely to get the K-1 approved after I jump many hurdles and endure scrutiny?
The K-1 petition will be approved by USCIS if you are both free to marry and if you have met in person within the last two years. The visa application will undergo exceptional scrutiny at the embassy, with the high risk that it will be shot down.

To avoid throwing good effort after bad, spend several years building your financial status and accumulating evidence of bona fide relationship OVER TIME before filing the K-1. It's not merely whether you can get a cosponsor for the affidavit of support; married life is expensive, and children are even more so. Furthermore, I understand that the Manila embassy rarely accepts cosponsors for K-1 petitions.

It's the red flags at the embassy stage that you may have a hard time overcoming. You're asking for advice but appear to have made up your mind.

Act in haste, repent at leisure.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

thats what we thought as well. but the CO in Manila said the co-sponsor will not matter to them for K1.. just basing it on my experience

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

thats what we thought as well. but the CO in Manila said the co-sponsor will not matter to them for K1.. just basing it on my experience

My Journey:

I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Timeline

The K-1 petition will be approved by USCIS if you are both free to marry and if you have met in person within the last two years. The visa application will undergo exceptional scrutiny at the embassy, with the high risk that it will be shot down.

To avoid throwing good effort after bad, spend several years building your financial status and accumulating evidence of bona fide relationship OVER TIME before filing the K-1. It's not merely whether you can get a cosponsor for the affidavit of support; married life is expensive, and children are even more so. Furthermore, I understand that the Manila embassy rarely accepts cosponsors for K-1 petitions.

Act in haste, repent at leisure.

I have a ten year old son and an ex-wife.

I am fine financially.

I have evidence for nearly two and half years.

The Manila embassy cannot reject it based upon a co-sponsor.

A lawyer is preparing a letter addressed to the embassy explaining the circumstances of her first K-1 and why it did not work out. She will submit this upon her return to the Philippines.

The nature of our online friendship that lead to her seeking my help in her time of crisis will be explained in our K-1 application. We are not going to hide that were chatmates during the time that this other gentleman was courting her. She in no way is trying to commit any sort of fraud. If she was, she would not be returning.

Timeline

but those times that you were talking online, sent letters,text and gifts back & forth were the same time that she was having " a supposedly relationship" with the other guy who petitioned her first thats why she got a visa and for sure the CO will be suspicious about this so you have to be very careful in presenting your evidence.

I agree. How do you suggest we go about presenting it?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
I have a ten year old son and an ex-wife.

I am fine financially.

I have evidence for nearly two and half years.

The Manila embassy cannot reject it based upon a co-sponsor.

A lawyer is preparing a letter addressed to the embassy explaining the circumstances of her first K-1 and why it did not work out. She will submit this upon her return to the Philippines.

The nature of our online friendship that lead to her seeking my help in her time of crisis will be explained in our K-1 application. We are not going to hide that were chatmates during the time that this other gentleman was courting her. She in no way is trying to commit any sort of fraud. If she was, she would not be returning.

Simple questions, without rancor: Because it seems that your mind is already made up, what answers are you looking for here? You may wish to consult the Philippines regional subforum for in-depth advice that you might not get in this forum. And, if you're "fine" financially, why do you need (or why do you mention the need for) a cosponsor? Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

I am sure you are better off financially than my fiance and you both should be fine. I'm just saying not to rely on a co-sponsor alone financially. Goodluck and hope it all works out!

My Journey:

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Sorry if my response is wrong but i did not mean to insult you. I read your post well and if you think what we say here is disrespectful, i think you have to ask a legal advice since it is serious situation. I just think that the one who wanna give u advice even will ask the whole situation first before they give their advice.

*K1 JOURNEY

2010-07-16****K1 Petition Sent Out

2010-08-08****NOA1 Hardcopy

2011-05-20****POE LAX

2011-06-20****Wedding

AOS:

2011-08-18****AOS Package Sent.

2011-09-29****Biometric Appt. Dover, Delaware

2011-10-18****RFE reply

2011-12-13****GC in hand

AP:

2011-10-31****File AP

2011-11-08****NOA1

2011-11-14****AP Approved

ROC:

2013-10-22***Package Sent

2013-11-03***Check Cashed

2013-11-05***NOA1
2013-11-25***Biometrics

2014-02-06***GC in hand dancin5hr.gif

5b904a1af6.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I agree. How do you suggest we go about presenting it?

well knew a guy who did go thru almost the same story, i just don't wanna go into details cause i believe i don't have right to share the story as it's very personal. but what he did is, they waited a year, travelled few times to meet her to establish a stronger proof of the relationship like built an entire new episode as they knew it will raise brows if anyone knew about them knowing each other while the girl was on process for another visa.

im not saying this is a sure hit plan i'm just saying that its possible. but since you and your lawyer already have a concrete plan of how to into your K1 filing then its your shot and goodluck

Earn a $15 Gift Card!http://refer.xoom.com/a/clk/2BjwkwUse ENJOYDEC code to send free :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Since you already made up your mind, since you already talked to many attorneys, since you got many answers here as well, since you know more about the detail, you know more about her, you know more about what you want, you the one whose own your life, no one can manage you but you. All we can do just pray best for you.

Edited by Utha

*K1 JOURNEY

2010-07-16****K1 Petition Sent Out

2010-08-08****NOA1 Hardcopy

2011-05-20****POE LAX

2011-06-20****Wedding

AOS:

2011-08-18****AOS Package Sent.

2011-09-29****Biometric Appt. Dover, Delaware

2011-10-18****RFE reply

2011-12-13****GC in hand

AP:

2011-10-31****File AP

2011-11-08****NOA1

2011-11-14****AP Approved

ROC:

2013-10-22***Package Sent

2013-11-03***Check Cashed

2013-11-05***NOA1
2013-11-25***Biometrics

2014-02-06***GC in hand dancin5hr.gif

5b904a1af6.gif

Timeline

Sorry to say, but sounds like fraud to me on both your parts. Maybe that's why you feel the need to be so defensive. If you apply for K-1 too soon, you're throwing your money out for a sure denial. As many have said, waiting is most likely your only choice. You should have done it right the first time instead of using someone else so you could meet.

Listen to what people have told you:

1. Fiance didn't pick her up at airport

Never heard that story before.

2. Can't contact fiance

What about address, skype, email, yahoo?

3. Your evidence of relationship is while she was engaged and using another for a K-1.

4. You either lie about her intensions to marry the first guy, or admit fraud with her real intensions. Either way, it's fraud. (catch-22)

Even if you can't admit your part in this, do you really want to be with someone that could use another like that, or be pressured by her family so much? That makes this even more unbelievable.

-James

you should pay more attention.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.