Jenn!

Women raped in mass attack in Congo

83 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I think that the word "deserved" was unfortunate, no innocent person deserves to be murdered. But, I do agree that Americans shouldn't have been so surprised by 9/11. The only reason they were is because,as individuals, they tend to be isolated and rather self-absorbed. The world kind of exists in a bubble where bad things happen to other people, not to them.

I am a political animal who acts on my beliefs and, unlike most, has the luxury of doing so. For most of my adult life, I've lived and/or worked in places that a lot of Americans can't relate to under circumstances they wouldn't want their worst enemy to experience. For me, and those like me, that puts another perspective and context on many bad acts. It never makes them right or palpable, nor do we accept or understand the justifications of those who commit such acts (like some here do). It just makes it relative in that the US is still part of a volatile world and sh!t happens all over.

There are Americans who sacrifice each day and put themselves in danger better the lives of those with little or nothing. Our military, human rights advocates, charity workers among them; Americans are some of the most generous and giving people on earth. Yet, the physical and mental separation that most Americans have from the grinding poverty, illiteracy, culture, nationalism, and, yes, how the politics of our government affect people in other countries has consequences, and make us vulnerable.

I understand that people have lives, families, jobs, chores, etc., that take up their day. We are busy. Yet, the kind of strife that occurs with some regularity in the Third World has spilled over into our history in the past, so it's only surprising when it affects this country directly because it's "supposed" to happen to others, not to us. When it does, we don't know how to react, but it usually results in a them vs. us position that leads many to want to respond in kind, and eye for an eye.

I reject violence and reject the message of terrorism. I'm just not surprised when it happens as I've lived long enough and fully enough to be realistic about how it's part of the cycle of life. If more Americans were more aware of people not like them, we would probably be less vulnerable to them, too.

Whew! I was worried there when you said you were with Paul on this one. It is totally different to say that we deserved what happened than just that we should not have been surprised, given the nature of the world we live in. I can agree with pretty much everything you say here. It would do all of us as Americans well to travel a bit more in this world and see how much of the rest of the world's population actually lives.

Paul and Vanessa is spot on, almost. We spend a lot of time with our heads up our own a$$&$. The subject of deserving this or that... its all cause and effect. No one deserves to be raped. No one deserves to be killed in a terrorist attack. We should all be aware of what is happening in the world around us. Simple fact is, most people don't give a $#*t.

"deserve" was a poor choice of word

Terrorism is never justifiable in the sense that someone can say it's "deserved". Understanding the motivations behind terrorism is one thing, but saying that it is "deserved" is a step away from endorsing the actions of terrorists.

I don't think office workers in their way to work deserved to be incinerated and crushed to death. Why do you?

I think that the word "deserved" was unfortunate, no innocent person deserves to be murdered. But, I do agree that Americans shouldn't have been so surprised by 9/11. The only reason they were is because,as individuals, they tend to be isolated and rather self-absorbed. The world kind of exists in a bubble where bad things happen to other people, not to them.

Well, I guess most are in agreement. There's a lot of things we in this country could, and should, do different. But nobody else has said that innocent people deserve to be murdered. I guess there is some common ground for most. :thumbs:

I am a political animal who acts on my beliefs and, unlike most, has the luxury of doing so. For most of my adult life, I've lived and/or worked in places that a lot of Americans can't relate to under circumstances they wouldn't want their worst enemy to experience. For me, and those like me, that puts another perspective and context on many bad acts. It never makes them right or palpable, nor do we accept or understand the justifications of those who commit such acts (like some here do). It just makes it relative in that the US is still part of a volatile world and sh!t happens all over.

There are Americans who sacrifice each day and put themselves in danger better the lives of those with little or nothing. Our military, human rights advocates, charity workers among them; Americans are some of the most generous and giving people on earth. Yet, the physical and mental separation that most Americans have from the grinding poverty, illiteracy, culture, nationalism, and, yes, how the politics of our government affect people in other countries has consequences, and make us vulnerable.

I understand that people have lives, families, jobs, chores, etc., that take up their day. We are busy. Yet, the kind of strife that occurs with some regularity in the Third World has spilled over into our history in the past, so it's only surprising when it affects this country directly because it's "supposed" to happen to others, not to us. When it does, we don't know how to react, but it usually results in a them vs. us position that leads many to want to respond in kind, and eye for an eye.

I reject violence and reject the message of terrorism. I'm just not surprised when it happens as I've lived long enough and fully enough to be realistic about how it's part of the cycle of life. If more Americans were more aware of people not like them, we would probably be less vulnerable to them, too.

And by the way, that's a really great post. Seriously.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

I've lived and/or worked in places that a lot of Americans can't relate to under circumstances they wouldn't want their worst enemy to experience.

Can you name a few of these places and describe the living conditions?

I am just curious because, for example, I have found that a lot of cities in America are much worse than some of the foreign places that you read about on the news. The example I am thinking of is between inner cities in the US and Mexican cities. I've been to Juarez (the murder capital of Mexico and possibly the world) and it is mainly contained between the drug cartels. I didn't see even the slightest hint of violence while I was there. I've been to a handful of other cities that are supposedly bad and they really are just bad on paper. Obviously though, the living conditions are far worse and their poverty is not comparable to the US.

But I would feel 10X safer in these Mexican cities than in, Detroit, for example. I saw an article the other day about how there is only 1 gun shop in all of Mexico.

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I saw an article the other day about how there is only 1 gun shop in all of Mexico.

they must be doing business hand over fist then.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

they must be doing business hand over fist then.

The only gun store in Mexico is not very busy.

To go shopping for a gun in Mexico, customers must come to Mexico City - even if they live 1,300 miles away in Ciudad Juarez. To gain entry to the store, which is on a secure military base, customers must present valid identification, pass through a metal detector, yield to the security wand and surrender cellphones and cameras.

To buy a gun, clients must submit references and prove that their income is honestly earned, that their record is free of criminal charges and that their military obligations, if any, have been fulfilled with honor. They are fingerprinted and photographed. Finally, if judged worthy of owning a small-caliber weapon to protect home and hearth, they are allowed to buy just one. And a box of bullets.

Mexico has some of the toughest gun-control laws in the world, a matter of pride for the nation's citizens. Yet Mexico is awash in weapons.

President Felipe Calderon reported this month that Mexican forces have captured more than 93,000 weapons in four years. Mexican authorities insist that 90 percent of those weapons have been smuggled from the United States.

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Whew! I was worried there when you said you were with Paul on this one. It is totally different to say that we deserved what happened than just that we should not have been surprised, given the nature of the world we live in. I can agree with pretty much everything you say here. It would do all of us as Americans well to travel a bit more in this world and see how much of the rest of the world's population actually lives.

I'm glad you're relieved :D

Well, I guess most are in agreement. There's a lot of things we in this country could, and should, do different. But nobody else has said that innocent people deserve to be murdered. I guess there is some common ground for most. :thumbs:

And by the way, that's a really great post. Seriously.

Thank you.

Can you name a few of these places and describe the living conditions?

I am just curious because, for example, I have found that a lot of cities in America are much worse than some of the foreign places that you read about on the news. The example I am thinking of is between inner cities in the US and Mexican cities. I've been to Juarez (the murder capital of Mexico and possibly the world) and it is mainly contained between the drug cartels. I didn't see even the slightest hint of violence while I was there. I've been to a handful of other cities that are supposedly bad and they really are just bad on paper. Obviously though, the living conditions are far worse and their poverty is not comparable to the US.

But I would feel 10X safer in these Mexican cities than in, Detroit, for example. I saw an article the other day about how there is only 1 gun shop in all of Mexico.

I'm very familiar with inner city poverty, but it wasn't as intense a situation when I was growing up as it is now. Detroit was a beautiful city when I was young. My dad's best friend lived there, and I remember it full of well-manicured lawns, gorgeous homes and fine cars. How things change!

My family believed in experiencing life rather than reading about it, so we were always involved in philanthropic activity. Four of my cousins are Native on their mother's side. When in the US, we all spent quite a chunk time visiting needy communities in Appalachia and far flung Indian reservations from Canada to New Mexico with their father, my paternal uncle, who was a medical doctor and a human rights worker. Seeing how desperately poor and dysfunctional the people and conditions were in many of those places, I started sharing what I saw as an investigative reporter.

Later, I joined forces with several Latino human rights advocates, and moved to South America to work with exploited Quechua tin miners in Bolivia, then homeless youth in Rio de Janeiro. I remember my first night in Rio, looking down on the lights up the hillside near my hotel and wondering what was out there. The lights were on Rocinha, the shanty town where I would work to gain the trust of the people I hoped to help. Rocinha has become the largest shanty town in South America, and when I first laid eyes on it on a bus to Gavea, I could not believe what I was seeing. It looked like a gap in the earth on the road to hell.

If you've never been to Rio, it is truly a city of contrasts. The first time I went, the military was quite visible on the streets and beaches. The second time, that was gone, but the contrast between the gleaming towers of commerce and the shanties rising up the hillsides was staggering. There are very few places I've been where the divide between rich and poor was so stark, yet their lives so entwined. Rocinha ranks second on this list of the worst places on earth to live. It's actually improved since I left.

We moved on to Beirut, Lebanon after that. Bad timing, it was 1982 . . .

Edited by Sofiyya

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I was one of the first people when 9/11 happened to come out and say "who the hell cares?" ..........

and when you ' said' that, did you get any answers? Or did you not say it out loud-you know, so no one will hear because there are plenty that do care for many different reasons.

Edited by tmma

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

paul, you still adding to try to reach 10k us soldiers in africa yet? :clock:

:clock: it seems someone is having trouble backing up their statement.

The only gun store in Mexico is not very busy.

To go shopping for a gun in Mexico, customers must come to Mexico City - even if they live 1,300 miles away in Ciudad Juarez. To gain entry to the store, which is on a secure military base, customers must present valid identification, pass through a metal detector, yield to the security wand and surrender cellphones and cameras.

To buy a gun, clients must submit references and prove that their income is honestly earned, that their record is free of criminal charges and that their military obligations, if any, have been fulfilled with honor. They are fingerprinted and photographed. Finally, if judged worthy of owning a small-caliber weapon to protect home and hearth, they are allowed to buy just one. And a box of bullets.

Mexico has some of the toughest gun-control laws in the world, a matter of pride for the nation's citizens. Yet Mexico is awash in weapons.

President Felipe Calderon reported this month that Mexican forces have captured more than 93,000 weapons in four years. Mexican authorities insist that 90 percent of those weapons have been smuggled from the United States.

i think you missed the sarcasm.........

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!