SteveColo

Establishing Credit

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi there B-)

My wife is here from Ukraine on a K3. We've filed for the green card and are waiting for the interview. She has a work permit and thus a SS#. She's been working for 3 months now at a bank.

Does anybody have any suggestions or things they have tried to establish credit for their partner from another country? We were told to try and get some department store cards since they are easier to get than a 'bank' card ... but of course she got declined because she has no credit history.

So basically ... how do you get credit here ? Mine is toast so I can't bring her on to mine. She wants to establish some on her own.

Thanks

Steve & Ksenia

502pfk.gif2rom8nd.gif

July 23, 2008 - Married my beautiful Ksenia

Oct 11, 2008 - I-130 Sent

Oct 13, 2008 - I-130 Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

Oct 20, 2008 - Checks cashed by USCIS

Oct 24, 2008 - NOA1 (I-130)

Oct 25, 2008 - I-129F Sent to CSC

Oct 29, 2008 - I-129F Received at CSC

Oct 30, 2008 - NOA1 for I-129F mailed to me - received 11/22/08 because of address change

Oct 31, 2008 - I-130 Touched

Nov 3, 2008 - I-130 Touched

Nov 18, 2008 - I-129F Touched

Nov 20, 2008 - I-130 (for step daughter) Touched

Feb 17, 2009 - Case received by the NVC

Feb 25, 2009 - Received letter from NVC dated Feb 20th saying they had received my approved I-129F

Feb 27, 2009 - Received 2 letters from NVC dated Feb 20th - they had received both approved I-130's

Mar 6, 2009 - Medical for Ksenia & Sasha completed in Kiev. Everything is great.

Mar 9, 2009 - Called NVC and found out our K3 is in "administrative processing"

Apr 6, 2009 - OUT OF A.P. !!! File being sent to Kiev !

May 5, 2009 - K3 interview in Kiev! APPROVED !!!

July 12, 2009 - ARRIVAL IN USA !!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Have you tried Capital One? She can get a small limit card with an annual fee with no credit history. Plus if you call capital one they are usually able to find a way to get you a card.

Also if she is working and you have her name on the bills with yours and you keep paying them up-to-date on time, in about a year she should start getting credit card offers in the mail.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

The easiest way is for YOU to get the credit cards on your credit (assuming it is OK) and add her as a second name on the account. Then use the accounts and pay them right away to slowly build up good credit.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I was told when you marry, you take over your partners Credit

09-13-10 got engaged <3

09-28-10 Sent I129-F Express

09-29-10 Delivered to Lewisville,TX but forwarded to Dallas

09-30-10 Delivered and Signed in Person in DALLAS

10-05-10 NOA 1

10-08-10 touched

10-11-10 touched

04-13-10 NOA 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

04-14-10 MEDICAL

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I was told when you marry, you take over your partners Credit

Nope. Each spouse will continue to have their own separate credit history and credit score. You don't inherit someone else's credit by marrying them. The only credit history you would share together is joint accounts which you'd usually open AFTER getting married. In that case, payments (or lack of payments) are recorded on the credit history of both spouses, but each spouse continues to have their own separate credit history tied to their own Social Security number.

Note also that adding someone as an additional user on an existing credit card account does not make it a joint account, nor does it automatically add payments to the additional user's credit history. It's not a joint account unless both card holders have signed the credit agreement, provided their Social Security numbers, and agreed to be jointly and separately liable for the payments.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I have a credit card account that I had before I was married in just my name. I added my husband on before we were married as an additional user on the account and the credit card is now showing up on his credit report. It has been on there for the past three months since I added him as the additional user (before we were married). It's a card through Capital One. I was under the impression that additional users did not have it added onto their credit, but I guess sometimes it happens. Thankfully the card has been in good standing and hopefully this is helping my husband build credit as it's the only account listed for him on his credit report. I also tried to add him as a joint account holder just after we were married and I was told that they weren't able to do that, that we'd have to sign up for a whole new card in order to have a joint account together.

Edited by sorchaine

event.png

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi there B-)

My wife is here from Ukraine on a K3. We've filed for the green card and are waiting for the interview. She has a work permit and thus a SS#. She's been working for 3 months now at a bank.

Does anybody have any suggestions or things they have tried to establish credit for their partner from another country? We were told to try and get some department store cards since they are easier to get than a 'bank' card ... but of course she got declined because she has no credit history.

So basically ... how do you get credit here ? Mine is toast so I can't bring her on to mine. She wants to establish some on her own.

Thanks

I had no credit history when I came here 5 yrs ago. So here's what I did ;Applied for Discovery Card online and got declined.Applied for Chase and was approved for $200 credit limit. Btw, Chase has no annual fee

which is good. After I got the credit card in the mail, I used it right away, $50 worth of grocery. After I got the monthly statement, I paid them off before the due date and used it again. That started. Then I applied for few store cards like Kohls and JCP.

Paying more than the minimum and paying if off early and not wait 'till due date can slowly build her credit. Once your wife has credit card, don't encourage her to apply more credit cards. Once she get her credit established, she get more pre-approved offers than she need.

Hope that helps.

8/26/09- received 10yr GC

N-400- done

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

First to help you understand there are two types of credit and many types of credit scores. The two types of credit are revolving and installment. You can get the credit card from Capital One or Orchard Bank or similar. After you have one, then eventually if finances allow you can get a second one quicker perhaps as a secured card..ie..you place $300 in an account and use the card against that credit.

The second type is installment...to buy larger purchases such as cars/houses. Having a perfect score on revolving credit cards by itself does not automatically give you enough credit power to get the proper loan/interest on even a car. Some banks or credit unions have a "wrap around" installment loan to help. What you would do is deposit say $1000 in a savings account there and get paid 3 percent interest....then they loan you the $1000 back and charge you only 4 1/2 percent...the difference covering their costs and profit. This type of loan in a larger amount will show you the ability to repay the larger installment loans.

As for all the credit scores you hear about...many are imitations of the important ones and each credit bureau I promise has one they would like to sell you. By far the most important one is FICO...Fair Isaac ...and the one used by most major lending institutions....You can also get a copy of your credit report free each year by law.

Peter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi there B-)

Thanks

Since she has a job, check out the local credit unions. Alla opened an account with a local credit union with a $50 deposit and was given a $500 limit credit card. All she needed was $50 and proof of employment. At the time she was employed part time in a Mall clothing store. 3 months later they upped the credit to $1000. Capital One then sent her an offer for a pre-approved card with a $1000 limit and she took that (even though she was no longer working) She has since been approved for store credit cards and has a pretty good credit record now. I think she has 4 or 5 credit cards total and gets weekly offers for more. So far she has no "balance" on any of the cards but she does use them and then pays them off. Many of the store credit cards give an additional 10% off for using their cards.

The best is celebrating Orthodox Christmas, doing all our shopping for 50-70% off and getting another 10% off that. Why pay retail? :lol:

Nope. Each spouse will continue to have their own separate credit history and credit score. You don't inherit someone else's credit by marrying them. The only credit history you would share together is joint accounts which you'd usually open AFTER getting married. In that case, payments (or lack of payments) are recorded on the credit history of both spouses, but each spouse continues to have their own separate credit history tied to their own Social Security number.

Note also that adding someone as an additional user on an existing credit card account does not make it a joint account, nor does it automatically add payments to the additional user's credit history. It's not a joint account unless both card holders have signed the credit agreement, provided their Social Security numbers, and agreed to be jointly and separately liable for the payments.

:thumbs:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I have a credit card account that I had before I was married in just my name. I added my husband on before we were married as an additional user on the account and the credit card is now showing up on his credit report. It has been on there for the past three months since I added him as the additional user (before we were married). It's a card through Capital One. I was under the impression that additional users did not have it added onto their credit, but I guess sometimes it happens. Thankfully the card has been in good standing and hopefully this is helping my husband build credit as it's the only account listed for him on his credit report. I also tried to add him as a joint account holder just after we were married and I was told that they weren't able to do that, that we'd have to sign up for a whole new card in order to have a joint account together.

If they're reporting the payments on his credit history then they're considering the account to be joint, and they're intending to stick it to him as well as you in the event you default on your payments. Some of the sleazier credit card banks do this with some regularity just so they have as many people as possible to go after in the event of a default. If you have no problem with them doing this then you don't need to do anything. However, you do have the right to have this corrected, if you choose.

Filed: Country: Peru
Timeline

Bank of America offers a "credit card" to just about anyone but theres a catch.

They give you a credit limit of 300 dollars, you give them a 300 dollar deposit. You use the card for a year and make your payments on time, they give you your 300 dollars back in 12 months, you keep the card. Bank of America reports all payments (and nonpayments!) during and after those 12 months and reserves the right to close at any time and return the balance of your deposit. My credit is almost terrible and they gave me this. Gotta (re)start somewhere.

Timeline

Bank of America offers a "credit card" to just about anyone but theres a catch.

They give you a credit limit of 300 dollars, you give them a 300 dollar deposit. You use the card for a year and make your payments on time, they give you your 300 dollars back in 12 months, you keep the card. Bank of America reports all payments (and nonpayments!) during and after those 12 months and reserves the right to close at any time and return the balance of your deposit. My credit is almost terrible and they gave me this. Gotta (re)start somewhere.

Yeah, it's called a "secured credit card". Many banks offer them. Here's a good article that will help you avoid getting screwed when shopping for a secured credit card bank:

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/credit-cards/10-questions-before-getting-a-secured-credit-card-1.aspx

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.