worldcitizen

Filing info with immigration to support good faith marraige

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

hi all,

i am getting ready to file for divorce. i am the usc and my husband has his conditional green card which expires june 2011. i was advised by an immigration lawyer to file paperwork with immigration to state all the things i did to have a good faith and the things he did or didn't that caused the break down of our marriage. since i am filing divorce in such a way that it will not be final before his green card expires, this move is basically to block him from filing a hardship waiver. the immigration lawyer i went to is top notch in the la area, but this service is $2000 through him. does anyone have experience sending a detailed account of your relationship/marraige to immigration for such a purpose?

thank you in advance for your help. it's sad that a lot of us are good people and seem to get swept up in marrying the wrong people.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am confused. What is it you are trying to accomplish? To stop him from applying to remove conditions? If you had a good faith marriage and the marriage went south, then all you need to do is get the divorce and the two of you go your own ways. Let him file the I-751 and move on with his life and you move on with yours. If the divorce is final before he has to file he will include the divorce papers. If they are not, then he will receive an RFE for them and to make a long story short, will be able to get a postponement of decision until such times as the divorce is finalized. If you deliberately try to block his ability to adjust status by prolonging the divorce unnecessarily or unreasonably you are actually giving him the means to file for a hardship waiver. Unless you believe that the marriage is not a good faith marriage, then why would you block him from finishing the immigration process. If it wasn't a good faith marriage, then why are you stating that it was? From what you are reporting, I am not sure your lawyer is giving you the best advice.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi all,

i am getting ready to file for divorce. i am the usc and my husband has his conditional green card which expires june 2011. i was advised by an immigration lawyer to file paperwork with immigration to state all the things i did to have a good faith and the things he did or didn't that caused the break down of our marriage. since i am filing divorce in such a way that it will not be final before his green card expires, this move is basically to block him from filing a hardship waiver. the immigration lawyer i went to is top notch in the la area, but this service is $2000 through him. does anyone have experience sending a detailed account of your relationship/marraige to immigration for such a purpose?

thank you in advance for your help. it's sad that a lot of us are good people and seem to get swept up in marrying the wrong people.

Did your husband enter the marriage in good faith or did he just marry you for a greencard? That's something that he is going to need to prove to USCIS without having to file a hardship waiver. If your husband did enter in good faith then I don't think that there's much you or your lawyer can really do. You might just be waisting your time by dragging out your divorce and probably going to have to pay that top notch lawyer a lot more money because of it. You might want to do some more research, question your lawyer or get a new lawyer. Either way good luck.

Timeline

i did everything in good faith, but i am not 100% sure if he has. it's a long and complicated story and i rather not post the very intimate details of my relationship. what i was trying to accomplish by filing a packet was to prove that i did everything in good faith, and the failure of the marriage was his cause-- good faith or not. why would i want someone to stay in my birth country that has caused me so much pain? he needs to go back to his birth country and start another life. i just want to know if anyone has filed a detailed packet of their relationship with immigration to say their side of the story and their experience.

thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

doesn't matter why you divorced (at least in your case, sounds like) if he can prove he entered the marriage in good faith, then he is ok. you're trying to prove YOU exited in good faith, and no one cares about that. if its a failure of marriage just because (this is what you say btw) then who cares. why are you trying to stop him? don't lie. it will always bite you in the ####. people are not pets. choose wiser next time.

• 4 months later...
Timeline

doesn't matter why you divorced (at least in your case, sounds like) if he can prove he entered the marriage in good faith, then he is ok. you're trying to prove YOU exited in good faith, and no one cares about that. if its a failure of marriage just because (this is what you say btw) then who cares. why are you trying to stop him? don't lie. it will always bite you in the ####. people are not pets. choose wiser next time.

i am not lying and i wasn't treating him like a pet. i think your comment is off base and if you don't have anything that is going to help someone, then maybe you shouldn't comment.

i did everything in good faith, but i am not 100% sure if he has. it's a long and complicated story and i rather not post the very intimate details of my relationship. what i was trying to accomplish by filing a packet was to prove that i did everything in good faith, and the failure of the marriage was his cause-- good faith or not. why would i want someone to stay in my birth country that has caused me so much pain? he needs to go back to his birth country and start another life. i just want to know if anyone has filed a detailed packet of their relationship with immigration to say their side of the story and their experience.

thanks.

How can you ever really know that? Did you think that he would be with you forever because you lived in the USA and he was from Pakistan? Some kind of international Pygmallion with him being Eliza?

Marriages fail. Move on. Get divorced. Vindictiveness is just tacky. Why should he not stay here?

You are just another poor soul who married someone from outside of the USA and got exactly 2 years of marriage. Some times that is about all the intending spouse is looking for. What did you get out of this? Im hoping there were some good times.

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Unless you have proof of anything you just look like a bitter vindictive ex-wife who's trying to make life difficult for your ex-husband.

By all means send it off if you want/need to but honestly without proof they'll probably just ignore it. USCIS are aware that divorces sometimes aren't amicable. You stayed together long enough for him to get his GC and even longer seeing it expires this year. I doubt they'll believe it was all fake (him being with you) unless YOU went along with it because that's a long time to lie.

Sorry but you're stuck with the I-864 and supporting him until he fulfils any of the cancelling factors (death, USC etc). He can stay here as long as he files his ROC papers and successfully does all that.

Just move on with your life. I understand the anger and the bitterness but this is HIS country now too. You helped him come here. You brought him here because you loved him and you don't anymore. He dumped his life at home to move here. Relationships fail, yours just happens to have immigration involved.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Here is your previous thread.

You state that "we married for the right reasons" and ask "can we file jointly and say that we are still working on our relationship".

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/307120-usc-wants-divorce-conditional-gc-almost-expired/

That does makes you look like a vindictive wife :huh:

And as far as "not lying" goes... If USCIS catches you on a "change of heart" similar to the two threads you started... they certainly will presume that you are the liar. I hope your call to USCIS did not get recorded, because after you stated to them that marriage was bona fide, your testimony to the contrary can not be taken seriously. Oh wait, may be I hope your call did get recorded :lol:

i am not lying and i wasn't treating him like a pet. i think your comment is off base and if you don't have anything that is going to help someone, then maybe you shouldn't comment.

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Timeline

Here is your previous thread.

You state that "we married for the right reasons" and ask "can we file jointly and say that we are still working on our relationship".

http://www.visajourn...almost-expired/

That does makes you look like a vindictive wife :huh:

And as far as "not lying" goes... If USCIS catches you on a "change of heart" similar to the two threads you started... they certainly will presume that you are the liar. I hope your call to USCIS did not get recorded, because after you stated to them that marriage was bona fide, your testimony to the contrary can not be taken seriously. Oh wait, may be I hope your call did get recorded :lol:

wow.. people here are pretty rude when things turn bad in an immigration involved marriage. i didn't feel like posting my entire story like some people do. i just hope your relationship turned out better than mine. it seems like several are quite happy mine didn't last as i would have hoped. you see this thread was started months ago when i was very angry, and i've moved past that. i think you guys should too, especially considering it's not even your case.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Good for you!

My apology, my mistake, what I called "previous" thread turned out to be the newest :blush:

wow.. people here are pretty rude when things turn bad in an immigration involved marriage. i didn't feel like posting my entire story like some people do. i just hope your relationship turned out better than mine. it seems like several are quite happy mine didn't last as i would have hoped. you see this thread was started months ago when i was very angry, and i've moved past that. i think you guys should too, especially considering it's not even your case.

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.