Mariye & Ky

Türk Kahvesi *Turkish Coffee* Cafe*

955 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi all,

Sabrina, welcome. You and I have chatted a few times but in any event this is Tuana. Yes, a lot of learning to do to help our men get acclimated and to help us as well. My Turkish, or lack there of still existst heavily. However, I have been using this program I found online called Byki 4 Express and it has been pretty useful. I can say about 30 Turkish words but that is about it. However, I hope that once my fiance gets here he will teach me more. On our first trip home (Turkey) together, I hope to be able to have some meaningful conversations with the family. So far it has been merhaba(hello) and nasilsin (how are you) and then that is about it. However, I love Turkey, can't wait to have more opportunities to go there with my fiance and bring our families together. I hope that within the year, my mother will join my fiance and I on a trip back to Turkey. I think she would really like it there. Anyway, it is great to meet you, this really is a wonderful site and all of us girls have really enjoyed eachother's company (sorry girls I am speaking for all of us here, I know) but they have been such a great source of friendship and support throughout this process. Take care and if you need anything please always feel free to get in touch with me!

Hello Tuana!

Yes, I remember you well :) I do use Byki as well. I have the app on my iPhone. Tolga downloaded the same one on his iPod Touch. It's meant for English speaking people to learn Turkish. However, it's been helping him as well. He does really well actually. He can say the english translation before it reveals it to him. So, now he's downloading new language packs. YAY! :)

~ Sabrina

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hello newbies! Turkish is very hard and one of my Turkish friends always tells me I need to spend a month in Turkey and I will speak Turkish. Umm wrong, haha. I have spent at least 6 months in Turkey and an additional 4 months on a Turkish ship (traveling with the hubby) and I still can't speak Turkish fluently. What I can speak was born of necessity and repetition from hearing my husband talk with his friends. Gosh, when I am in Turkey it is common for us to go play okey with our friends and those games can get pretty heated. My partner always had this habit of saying this one word and I started to make a mental note to ask what it meant at a later date. Well one day I was talking to my future mother in law and asked her what oha meant. Her eyes got wide, my now husband's eyes got wide and then she started to laugh. Turns out it is a very bad word (still didn't get the definitive explanation on what it means, just a vague explanation)and told me it was ok, it is her son's fault since he speaks bad turkish. Lordy.

I am addicted to playing okey on facebook and picked things up like that also, but it is not the most grammatically correct turkish out there, you will learn some slang though. The best thing to do is go into either Amerika, Ingillitere (I misspelled that), Istanbul, or Izmir because turks there can speak english and somewhat walk you through. If you want to add me on fb just pm me on here and I will give you my fb name. One more thing, some people don't like playing with yabancis, so I usually just start my own table to avoid the endless dolus that pop up when I enter.

Another language tip is Rosetta stone, but I have caught inaccuracies in the system and it does not teach grammar so it is best as a supplement.

Wedding: 7/10/2010

I-130 Sent: 10/08/2010

NOA 1: 10/20/2010

Touched: 10/26/2010

NOA2: 2/10/2011

NVC: 3/6/2011 approx.

No I-864, DS-230 Notification NVC says download files

Emailed Agent form: Response Confirming Change Arrived the Next Day

Mailed I-864 Package: 4/2/2011, Arrived 4/4/2011

DS-230 Received: 4/19/2011

RFE: 5/3/2011, emailed documents same day, email confirmation 5/4/2011

NVC Case Complete: 5/20/2011 (approx. called NVC and they said it was complete so don't know exact date)

Email with Instructions: 5/27/2011

Interview scheduled: 7/14/2011

Consulate had to reschedule, new interview 7/20/2011

APPROVED 7/20/2011

Timeline

Thank you Tuana!!!its coming!! the wait is almost over!

Hi there, no problem at all. I know you were waiting a very long time for your NOA2 but it appears things are moving rather quickly for you now. I saw you posted something the other day about interview times. here is some information I know. I called the consulate a few days ago, they stated they were currently begining to schedule interviews for August, however interviews as I stated to you earlier are scheduled after packet #3 is returned back completed to the consulate. So, get that puppy in there as soon as possible. I saw another VJ the other day that had a timeline very simlar to mine they received their interview date a few days ago for July 20th. So I think really it depends on a number of different factors such as how long it takes them to review packet #3, the type of visa being applied for etc. etc. I am hoping, wishing, praying that maybe my fiance's interview will be scheduled for sometime in the last two weeks of July. I know I am not different from anyone else when I state that but my fiance and I honestly thought he'd be here by now. We are just so anxious and excited about the prospect of actually living together as a married couple under the same roof in the same country. OMG the think!

Also, just as an FYI, I checked that link I provided you late last night, they recently just updated it as of June 17, previously updated on June 3 so it appears to be updated every two weeks, so once you have sent back in package 3 I would suggest you call them if you have not received e-mail regarding the interview date 15-30 days after you confirm your packet # 3 has been received by the embassy I do not see any harm in calling them to follow up. Just as a reminder, they are only open from 4-5 M-T turkish time, and when you listen to the options menu make sure to select immigrant visas not non-immigrant visas. If you keep getting put to a recording, continue to all back, the operator at the embassy told me that if the line does not ring after going through all the prompts and information provided that means all their operators are busy at the moment. I ended up calling 8 times the other day before actually speaking with someone.

Anyway, so sorry for the long msg, just trying to be helpful if at all possible. Please let me know if you need any additional information! Have a great weekend, sounds like your wedding plans are moving along nicely have fun and take enjoyment in doing that:)

GOOD WEEKEND!!

event.png

Tuana and Kemal's Visa Journey

2010.07.10 We met

2010.10.28 First visit to meet in person

2010.10.31 We became engaged

2011.01.12 Second Visit with my Husband

2011.04.18 Third Visit with my Husband

2011.08.19 Married in Gaziantep Turkey, 4th Visit

2011.10.21 Visited with my Husband, 5th Visit

2011.11.22 SENT IN I-130 Application

2011.12.01 NOA1 Received

2012.02.16 Visited my Husband, 6th Visit

2012.05.08 NOA2 Received

2012.05.21 NVC Received

2012.07.02 Per NVC documents approved, waiting on interview date to be scheduled

2012.08.10 Visited my husband in Turkey, 7th Visit

2012.12.04 Visa Approved

Timeline

HI All,

Okay so I can't find where before I was putting some recipes in here for some of us, however I found this recipe this morning, so I thought I would share. Mari thanks for the insight on how they get their Salep and dondourma (ice cream) so thick and creamy! If you have not tried this yet, I would suggest you do, it is wonderful!

SALEP RECIPE

1 tbsp Salep, dried powdered roots of a mountain orchid (see below for more info)

1 teacup of milk, cold

Garnish:

Cinnamon, powdered

Place Salep in a small saucepan. Slowly add the cold milk, stirring constantly over low heat. When it reaches a smooth consistency, remove from the stove.

Pour into a teacup and sprinkle some cinnamon on top. Serve while still hot.

What is Salep?

Turkey is the major Salep producing country. Salep is made from the dried powdered roots of a mountain orchid in the Eastern Mediterranean woods. Salep is a traditional Turkish hot drink which was also served during the reign of the Ottoman empire. The roots are rich in starch and the mixture thickens naturally. You should also try Vanilla ice cream with Salep... it has a great aroma and smells delicious:)

We love to drink Salep on cold days. It also has medicinal traits, such as for sore throats. It has been used for a long time to treat chronic diarrhea, digesting problems and gum disease.

You can purchase Salep from local Turkish Grocery Stores or the following websites: Tulumba.com, Taste of Turkey.

event.png

2010.07.10 We met

2011.12.01 NOA1 Received

2012.05.08 NOA2 Received

2012.05.21 NVC Received

2012.07.02 Per NVC documents approved, waiting on interview date to be scheduled

2012.12.04 Visa Approved

Timeline

KD it sounds like you are doing well here too. Baris wrote (melbar --- see his post). I'm really excited to see the AmeriTurk Family cruisin' along after all the waiting and little glitches that go along side with immigrating. So what kind of work will you do here?

I wonder if [my] K will like his first visit to the dentist?? LOL ... she's kinda mean with that darn peridontal probe! Good she's a friend of mine --- otherwise I could go berzerk with that pain! I do sit still though.

I have to get ready and get my day in order so I'm productive.

Hello to wife and family!

Mari

Hello Mari,

Yes I and Baris are keeping in touch here just writing pm msg to eachother.He is doing well.I m so happy for him.

I m just trying to figure out how things going on here and enjoying.I dont have any idea what kind of job i will have but i just want to start to work it does not matter what kind for now bec i want to have a certificate program i m still checking on that hmm i might be working in the airport.

hahaha i m not sure of K will like to be in dentist on his first day at usa.But we planned to go to the denstist with my wife bec i got an insurance she paid it for a year.I did not have a pain eveh the dentist was not our friend..

Wow we gettin a big family here AmeriTurks actually sometime we can have meeting i think that would be great i know we are all living other parts of usa but who knows maybe we can have a date to meet in person..

Take care all keep in touch

ROC

03/12/2013 - I-751 Package Mailed

03/14/2013 - Received NOA1

04/16/2013 - Biometrics App. Scheduled

Filed: H-2B Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Alright Melbar! Sounds like you are doing great here!!! Congratulations on the new job and working. Are you enjoying your job?

Kadir is working as much as possible until we figure out when I will go for visit or he will just come directly on his own. Everything dependent on flights/ my schedule/ our schedule/ etc. TOO MUCH in consideration and it can really make somebody crazy! It's really strange to have the blessing of "No Security Limitation" on the fone and on the internet like when he was working on the AF Base. Sheesh, my mind still thinks the fone signal goes off at 5 mins for the rest of the day! I thought I couldn't get used to that when he first left, but evidently, I had. Now, I can't get used to the normal communication connections! Geeze, we're really missing each other and let me tell you Baris (and my AmeriTurk family), it's a HUGE BIG BIG BIG BLESSING if you can just speak to your Askim everyday whether they are here in the States or still away. That is one thing K and I learned while he was working abroad.... do not take each other for granted!

I'm excited to hear you will be learning medical billing! It's a great idea! ...... LOL Baris, maybe you and K can do my billing then!! Speaking of medical... I have been working a lot (overworked, over tired and over budget, lol). It's a good thing to work and Kadir gives me the drive I need for motivation when I do not want to go! ha ha

Lastly, I'm happy you found some Turk friends! I know it makes a huge difference when you're here. It definitely gives a sense of community that's for sure!! How's Melek? Has she learned how to make any Turkish food yet? Oh yes, and I will tell Kadir to have a sit down and drink Cay for you... he does that anyway without my instruction... cok cok!! lol

Best to you all,

Mari

hi mari how are u/ everything is fine for me here for now earning money ..i am working realy hard to do my best i teaching melek how to cook she is learning ...and i will apply visa for my mather and father... i want them to come here and visit me it would be better my mather miss me so muchh ...sometimes when we talk she cry ... she wants to see me..when i was in turkey working every two monts i was visiting it was not hard for them.now its hard for them ...i sent them some money i got my secod paycheck i sent them...usualy i was working 3 days a week now i am working 5 days a week..when i start school it will be less school is importand for me.to have better job and career ... kadir will be ok.u know i went to dentist already i was scare but it was little ok...dentist was flipino.he was so good next week i will go for checkup for hospital... every here so good to me i am working with armenian they realy good to me.their food and everything same as turkish food... sometimes they bring food to me ...thats it for now say hi to my hemserim ok...

Timeline

KAri

You are so funny...I am here smiling......So whats new? lol

Our Petition arrived in Ankara this morning! Super happy about that! Have you gotten your date?

I do have one question did you have to schedule your interview date? I see in some countries the petitioner has to call and schedule after the Fee has been paid. Is this the case for Turkey? Ready to get this moving! We are HOPING for a August date sometime...We have set our wedding date at September 17th! Glad you are well!!!! Sassy!

LOL... Who is "KAri"??

I think that should be our bebegim's name! A mix between our names! Love it!! lol

sparkling-usa-flag.gifMarivalentine60.gifKadir Turkey%20flag-L-anim.gif

Timeline

hi mari how are u/ everything is fine for me here for now earning money ..i am working realy hard to do my best i teaching melek how to cook she is learning ...and i will apply visa for my mather and father... i want them to come here and visit me it would be better my mather miss me so muchh ...sometimes when we talk she cry ... she wants to see me..when i was in turkey working every two monts i was visiting it was not hard for them.now its hard for them ...i sent them some money i got my secod paycheck i sent them...usualy i was working 3 days a week now i am working 5 days a week..when i start school it will be less school is importand for me.to have better job and career ... kadir will be ok.u know i went to dentist already i was scare but it was little ok...dentist was flipino.he was so good next week i will go for checkup for hospital... every here so good to me i am working with armenian they realy good to me.their food and everything same as turkish food... sometimes they bring food to me ...thats it for now say hi to my hemserim ok...

Melbar,

I think it's great how you are accomodating to life here in the States! It's great to know that you're working too. Kadir is in Adana and he's working until he comes here. I haven't told him he's going to the Dentist... lol ... yet.

Anyway, have fun with everything and glad to see your post.

Mariye Yenge

Timeline

HI All,

Okay so I can't find where before I was putting some recipes in here for some of us, however I found this recipe this morning, so I thought I would share. Mari thanks for the insight on how they get their Salep and dondourma (ice cream) so thick and creamy! If you have not tried this yet, I would suggest you do, it is wonderful!

Just a personal note to you and Kem!!! Congratulations on your interview date gurlfriend~!!!

Love ya,

"Kizzie Mariye Yenge"

Timeline

Hello Everyone,

Sorry for disappering on you guys,hubby is here and lots of things to take care and do.He arrived here in Houston May 24 th with couple of hrs. waiting at the immigration line(lots of immigrants and long lines).He just received his green card last week but not his SS card, so we went and applied again.(they supposed to send it in three weeks of his arrival but they didn't).

Not sure if he really liked it here yet, but, at least I speak Turkish and that helps a lot.He will be starting ESL classes soon to learn English and also studying at home.I try to speak English with him but it's hard to do, because, I miss speaking Turkish LOL..LOL..

I am glad that Baris is moving along well and even got a job.Kadir is here also and hope he gets his green card and SS card soon.also happy for Tuana,they got their interwiev date finally. I am so happy for recent interwiev dates and hope everybody's interwiev goes well without any problems.

Promise to be back soon with new updates..

Nihal

05/27/2010 MARRIED

08/04/2010 I-130 SENT

08/11/2010 NOA1

08/25/2010 TOUCHED

11/02/2010 TOUCHED

11/03/2010 CASE SENT FROM CSC TO TSC

11/04/2010 TOUCHED

11/10/2010 TOUCHED

11/18/2010 TOUCHED

11/19/2010 TOUCHED

11/24/2010 TOUCHED

02/14/2011 RFE (MISSING EVIDENCE)

02/15/2011 RFE RESPOND SENT

03/10/2011 NOA2 APPROVAL(exactly 7 months)211 days

03/14/2011 NOA2 HARD COPY RECEIVED

03/16/2011 FILE SENT TO NVC

NVC

03/18/2011 CASE NUMBER ASSIGNED

03/21/2011 RECEIVED IIN,GAVE E-MAILS,3032 SENT

03/22/2011 SENT PAYMENT FOR AOS FEE

03/23/2011 DS-3032 E-MAIL ACCEPTED,AOS SHOWS PAID,SENT AOS PACKAGE

03/24/2011 IV FEE RECEIVED AND PAID

03/28/2011 IV FEE SHOWS PAID,SENT IV PACKAGE

04/08/2011 SIF (SIGN IN FAILED)

04/10/2011 CASE COMPLETE

EMBASSY

05/25/2011 MEDICAL COMPLETED

05/02/2011 INTERVIEW

INTERVIEW RESULTS: APPROVED

POE 05/24/2011 HOUSTON,TEXAS

THANK GOD, IT'S OVER! FINAL! FINISHED! BITTI!

Timeline

lol did i write that?? OH i mean i totally did on purpose..like brangelina;)

Dear BaHaChelle,

If you can... I can! ha ha... from now on, you're that name!

hehe

Timeline

Just a personal note to you and Kem!!! Congratulations on your interview date gurlfriend~!!!

Love ya,

"Kizzie Mariye Yenge"

Yenge Mariye, Thank you so much for your support and friendship! I can't wait for all of us Ameri-Turks to get together! Hopefully all of us will be together soon with our fiance's and our spouses. I think we need to try and get something planned , like a yearly event where we all get together and have a nice weekend get away with our Ameri-Turk friends. WIshing you the best! Hugs!

Yenge Tuana

event.png

2010.07.10 We met

2011.12.01 NOA1 Received

2012.05.08 NOA2 Received

2012.05.21 NVC Received

2012.12.04 Visa Approved

Timeline

Hello Everyone,

Sorry for disappering on you guys,hubby is here and lots of things to take care and do.He arrived here in Houston May 24 th with couple of hrs. waiting at the immigration line(lots of immigrants and long lines).He just received his green card last week but not his SS card, so we went and applied again.(they supposed to send it in three weeks of his arrival but they didn't).

Not sure if he really liked it here yet, but, at least I speak Turkish and that helps a lot.He will be starting ESL classes soon to learn English and also studying at home.I try to speak English with him but it's hard to do, because, I miss speaking Turkish LOL..LOL..

I am glad that Baris is moving along well and even got a job.Kadir is here also and hope he gets his green card and SS card soon.also happy for Tuana,they got their interwiev date finally. I am so happy for recent interwiev dates and hope everybody's interwiev goes well without any problems.

Promise to be back soon with new updates..

Nihal

OMG finally there you are. We have wondering where you disappeared to. It is wonderful to hear from you. Yes it appears a lot of changings taking place for everyone and it seems things are finally starting to move in a positive direction for all of us. So, I think it is wonderful that he will be begining ESL classes soon, where is he taking them? Kemal's English is my opinion is coming along quite nicely, I am super proud of him, however I hope to be able to help him more so when he is here. I for sure need to stare learning more Turkish. We have made an agreement that upon his arrival he will start speaking to me in Turkish and I to him in English so that we can both start picking it up and working on our languages together. I am still so astonished that I am finally speaking of terms such as "when he gets here." This journey has been so difficult and I miss him terribly but I keep saying to myself, it is possible, in 35 days or so, we could be in our home together. AMAZING.

Well I am so happy to hear from you I was getting worried. Welcome back! I wont ask what you've been up to. Take care, best to the both of you and too all our other Ameri-Turks, hope you all are doing well please keep us posted on your progress.

Best wishes to everyone!

event.png

2010.07.10 We met

2011.12.01 NOA1 Received

2012.05.08 NOA2 Received

2012.05.21 NVC Received

2012.12.04 Visa Approved

Timeline

Hey Melbar, I hope this is not intrusive of me to ask, but I am trying to assist Kemal in finding different resources or avenues that he can research concerning finding work here in the United States and other things maybe we can do together and get involved in to help make is transition more smooth. If you have any suggestions that you would not mind sharing, or any ideas, I would love to hear them. Kemal has been doing research on his end, however I would like to help him in his efforts and too if I could find some ways for us to meet some Turk people in the area that could become friends for us, that would make me so happy. So, if you have any suggestions or ideas that you would not mind sharing, I would greatly appreciate it. I am so glad to hear you are adjusting so well, I hope things just continue to get better along the way. Take care!

Tuana

event.png

2010.07.10 We met

2011.12.01 NOA1 Received

2012.05.08 NOA2 Received

2012.05.21 NVC Received

2012.12.04 Visa Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.