SunDrop

Calling all K-2 AOSers - past and present

398 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Jim,

I have a question for you did your step-children AOS the same time as your wife, and if so were they able to go in at the same time to interview together? We might have just been lucky when I took my wife and stepson to their interview in Kansas City the interviewer had all 3 of us come in at the same time and she said she would do them together to save time. She asked the basic questions for me and my wife how did we meet, how many times did I visit her (I told her 3 times but it equaled out to about 7 months in a years time :dance: ) Well back to what I was wondering did you have the same experience the interviewer asked my wife a question she would answer no and then my stepson would answer the same question she asked about 10 questions and then approved. We were finished in 20 minutes doing it this way.

I'm assumming this is not the norm.

AOS:

Green Card APPROVAL for wife and stepson 02/10/2011

Revd'd Green Cards for wife and stepson today 02/19/2011

My timeline gives all the information

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Does that mean you need to pay another fee for their post-14 10 year GC? Our interview is March 10th, which means we'll be ROCing mid -January 2013. My daughter will be 13 years, 3 months when we file our ROC, and obviously closer to her 14th when they process it. It would be a real pain if we have to pay another fee for a matter of a couple months.

You do not pay a fee for the I-90 but you do pay a biometrics fee

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Jim,

I have a question for you did your step-children AOS the same time as your wife, and if so were they able to go in at the same time to interview together? We might have just been lucky when I took my wife and stepson to their interview in Kansas City the interviewer had all 3 of us come in at the same time and she said she would do them together to save time. She asked the basic questions for me and my wife how did we meet, how many times did I visit her (I told her 3 times but it equaled out to about 7 months in a years time :dance: ) Well back to what I was wondering did you have the same experience the interviewer asked my wife a question she would answer no and then my stepson would answer the same question she asked about 10 questions and then approved. We were finished in 20 minutes doing it this way.

I'm assumming this is not the norm.

Yes, I filed for all of them at the same time. They were all scheduled for interviews at sequential times on the same day. When the IO came out to the waiting room she called us all in at once. My wife's niece came along to serve as a translator, so there were five of us packed into the IO's little office.

The questions were all pretty common stuff. Are you going to school? Have you been working? Have you left the US? And then the bullet list of inadmissibility questions from the I-485. The IO looked at their birth certificates and passports, made a few corrections on the I-485's, looked through our photo albums, and gave us the approval sheet. About 15 or 20 minutes total.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

You do not pay a fee for the I-90 but you do pay a biometrics fee

The IO at today's interview was very helpful. He said that I would be close to qualifying for applying for citizenship (6 months before my qualifying date) when my daughter turns 14. The suggestion was that just before her birthday (October 15) to come in and see with them if there's any flexibility on accepting my citizenship application. He said that in these sorts of circumstances, they have some leeway.

Thought it interesting.

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Yes, I filed for all of them at the same time. They were all scheduled for interviews at sequential times on the same day. When the IO came out to the waiting room she called us all in at once.

Same, same, and same. Since the K-2 is derivative of the K-1's status, they mainly need to go through the K-1 stuff first and the K-2 is just a formality. He asked Kayt about her school and did she do any sports, oh and did she like it here in Tucson. He also said he bets she thought the flight was really long and she went, "nahhhh, I'm used to it."

Edited by SunDrop

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Timeline

SunDrop

Congrats sound like you had a very good interview today.

AOS:

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We just removed conditions for Alla and ONE of the the two children (the other was a K-2 to follow so he is 10 months behind) When filing to remove conditions at the same time, you file and pay for only ONE petition and the biometrics fee for each person. I will have to pay another petition fee for Sergey later.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Yes, I filed for all of them at the same time. They were all scheduled for interviews at sequential times on the same day. When the IO came out to the waiting room she called us all in at once. My wife's niece came along to serve as a translator, so there were five of us packed into the IO's little office.

The questions were all pretty common stuff. Are you going to school? Have you been working? Have you left the US? And then the bullet list of inadmissibility questions from the I-485. The IO looked at their birth certificates and passports, made a few corrections on the I-485's, looked through our photo albums, and gave us the approval sheet. About 15 or 20 minutes total.

Timeline

JimVaPhoung,

Hello!!! Glad i found this Topic about K-2,

My Son will be interview this coming May 17th, and he is under 18, only 15 year old, and it says in USCIS Letter, that Petitioner/Parent will be interview too, I was K-1 before, Got My GreenCard , without interview because it was transfered to California Service Center but this time on my son K-2 Status, he is about to be interview, i have no Idea how we gonna be interview? they will Seperate Us in a Room? or ? My Second Question is, What all the paper works i need to prepare beside from what they stated in a letter? Your advice would be agreat help, Thank you in Advance.

Kjmel :star::star::star:

Timeline

JimVaPhoung,

Hello!!! Glad i found this Topic about K-2,

My Son will be interview this coming May 17th, and he is under 18, only 15 year old, and it says in USCIS Letter, that Petitioner/Parent will be interview too, I was K-1 before, Got My GreenCard , without interview because it was transfered to California Service Center but this time on my son K-2 Status, he is about to be interview, i have no Idea how we gonna be interview? they will Seperate Us in a Room? or ? My Second Question is, What all the paper works i need to prepare beside from what they stated in a letter? Your advice would be agreat help, Thank you in Advance.

Kjmel :star::star::star:

I honestly don't know. I saw somebody else in a similar situation, where the K1 got a green card without an interview but the K2 was scheduled for an interview. I've heard of cases where a K2 is questioned about their relationship with the USC parent, but what they're looking for in those cases is evidence that the USC's relationship with the K1 is a sham. There is a requirement that the USC and the K1 have a genuine spousal relationship, but there's no such requirement for a K2. If the K1 is approved, and the K2 isn't found to be inadmissible for some reason, then the K2 should automatically be approved.

I'm a little confused why they would interview a K2 but not a K1. :blush:

Timeline

I honestly don't know. I saw somebody else in a similar situation, where the K1 got a green card without an interview but the K2 was scheduled for an interview. I've heard of cases where a K2 is questioned about their relationship with the USC parent, but what they're looking for in those cases is evidence that the USC's relationship with the K1 is a sham. There is a requirement that the USC and the K1 have a genuine spousal relationship, but there's no such requirement for a K2. If the K1 is approved, and the K2 isn't found to be inadmissible for some reason, then the K2 should automatically be approved.

I'm a little confused why they would interview a K2 but not a K1. :blush:

Thank you to your response Jim,

Yeah!! me too, I'm Confused just hoping for the best this coming May 17th, Wierd, We went there to do his Biometrics, and it's done only for 5 minutes , now we need to comeback again for initial Interview And it cause 2 hours just to be in Indianapolis from Fort Wayne, and another 2 hours to be back to Fort Wayne, Cost too much on gas , I wonder why they did'nt do the interview at same day & time, What a Mess. :wacko:

Timeline

Thank you to your response Jim,

Yeah!! me too, I'm Confused just hoping for the best this coming May 17th, Wierd, We went there to do his Biometrics, and it's done only for 5 minutes , now we need to comeback again for initial Interview And it cause 2 hours just to be in Indianapolis from Fort Wayne, and another 2 hours to be back to Fort Wayne, Cost too much on gas , I wonder why they did'nt do the interview at same day & time, What a Mess. :wacko:

I don't know about Indianapolis, but in many cities there are Application Service Centers (ASC) where the biometrics are taken, and a different USCIS office where the interviews are held. Each office operates on it's own schedule. My wife and kids went to an ASC in Oakland for their biometrics, but we had to go to the USCIS office in San Francisco for the interview. They don't do any interviews at the ASC.

Part of the biometrics process is collection of fingerprints. Those are needed for criminal background checks, and those checks must be completed before AOS can be approved. It's actually to your advantage to submit the fingerprints and get those checks out of the way before the interview. If the background checks aren't completed when you go to the interview then they'll delay the approval of the AOS.

Timeline

I don't know about Indianapolis, but in many cities there are Application Service Centers (ASC) where the biometrics are taken, and a different USCIS office where the interviews are held. Each office operates on it's own schedule. My wife and kids went to an ASC in Oakland for their biometrics, but we had to go to the USCIS office in San Francisco for the interview. They don't do any interviews at the ASC.

Part of the biometrics process is collection of fingerprints. Those are needed for criminal background checks, and those checks must be completed before AOS can be approved. It's actually to your advantage to submit the fingerprints and get those checks out of the way before the interview. If the background checks aren't completed when you go to the interview then they'll delay the approval of the AOS.

Hi! Jim,

Indianapolis is USCIS Office ,here in Mid West, All who Filed through Chicago lock Box, Our Servie Center is MSC Missouri Service Center, My Son already did his Biometrics Last February 24, this is the Second Time he will be appearing on this office, it says in the letter for Initial Review of AOS.Hopefully It goe well, Thank you Jim.

kjeml38 :star::star::star:

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi everyone!

We are preparing documents for my AOS and for my son. He is 2 years old. We want my husband be his official dad... so my question is if we have to do that before his AOS or we can do that after? I am a little confused about last name changes... what last name should we put for my son? I mean we all want to have the same last name ( my husband's ). But I do not know if we are allowed to do that now...Thanks!

Edited by Iuliia+Nick

K1/K2 visa

I 129F sent - 201-08-30

NOA1 - 2010-09-03

NOA2 - 2011-01-24

Interview - 2011-02-22

K1 visa received - 2011-03-01

Entried US - 2011-03-06

Marriage - 2011-05-01

AOS

EAS filed - 2011-05-20

NOA (text/e-mail) - 2011-06-15

Hard copies by mail - 2011-06-20

Biometrix letter received - 2011-06-27

Biometrix - 2011-07-20

Timeline

Hi everyone!

We are preparing documents for my AOS and for my son. He is 2 years old. We want my husband be his official dad... so my question is if we have to do that before his AOS or we can do that after? I am a little confused about last name changes... what last name should we put for my son? I mean we all want to have the same last name ( my husband's ). But I do not know if we are allowed to do that now...Thanks!

You need to file your AOS with the child surname right now, your husband will need to adopt your son to officially change his surname (adoptions are not very fast)

AOS:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.