Inky

LPR and handgun question

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

from what i'm understanding here, the op/her spouse wants to purchase a pistol, keep it secured in a locked container, somewhere within the state of nebraska.

i'm assuming this is not on a military base? if on a military base, you will probably NOT be able to keep it like you described - the base military police/security police will be the best to answer any questions of yours if this is the case.

can your husband purchase and allow you to have access to the firearm (even a pistol) within your own residence - yes - first link of vanessa's (post #6), page 4, part 5 (although this technically isn't a transfer) as long as you are not in violation of any of the other clauses, page 2 to 4, parts 4-14.

you may not carry it concealed outside your residence. i've found conflicting information on whether a license is required or not to purchase a pistol. one site said no - 3rd link of vanessa's at post #6, but the second link of vanessa's opens to "Gun Laws in Nebraska", top one: "Compendium of State Firearms Laws from the NRA" said yes it was required. any local gun store can set you on the correct path for that.

registration in nebraska is not mandatory although purchases of handguns are sent in for registration.

i suggest a biometric safe - pricey, but worth it.

a good summation of the nebraska laws is at nra pdf file

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

from what i'm understanding here, the op/her spouse wants to purchase a pistol, keep it secured in a locked container, somewhere within the state of nebraska.

i'm assuming this is not on a military base? if on a military base, you will probably NOT be able to keep it like you described - the base military police/security police will be the best to answer any questions of yours if this is the case.

can your husband purchase and allow you to have access to the firearm (even a pistol) within your own residence - yes - first link of vanessa's (post #6), page 4, part 5 (although this technically isn't a transfer) as long as you are not in violation of any of the other clauses, page 2 to 4, parts 4-14.

you may not carry it concealed outside your residence. i've found conflicting information on whether a license is required or not to purchase a pistol. one site said no - 3rd link of vanessa's at post #6, but the second link of vanessa's opens to "Gun Laws in Nebraska", top one: "Compendium of State Firearms Laws from the NRA" said yes it was required. any local gun store can set you on the correct path for that.

registration in nebraska is not mandatory although purchases of handguns are sent in for registration.

i suggest a biometric safe - pricey, but worth it.

a good summation of the nebraska laws is at nra pdf file

No not in a base housing or on base housing. In a personal home.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

here is a biometric pistol safe, one of several on the net you can get:

http://www.gunsafestore.com/GVB2000.htm $362.06

http://www.gunsafes.com/BioBox.html $209.95

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Likely state specific for this but can an LPR get a gun permit / license in Nebraska? Keep it at home in a lock box, not to carry around on person. Iv tried looking around havent really been able to find any info on it that is solid enough.. I went into Cabelas and asked there but they werent sure. My husband asked some of the people on base but none of them knew either.

No permit needed unless for concealed carry. Go to the gun shop with your green card and state ID or dirvers license. Good shooting!

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

My new Beretta 9mm I ordered should be in today. Yipee!!! I plan on getting my concealed weapons permit because in our state if you don't have one and I transport it in a vehicle to the range it has to be on the dash or on the console in plain site. I'm not comfortable with that so I would want it out of site in my vehicle. Also I plan on locking it up in our gun safe at the house. If we didn't have the safe I would use a lock box for sure.

Another totally crazy thing for me to think of is that when I join the range I have to join the NRA. Never thought in my all my "Canadianism" that I would be a card carrying member of the NRA. I'm going to get one of those big NRA stickers and stick it on my vehicle, too. lol.... Just funny and very ironic to me especially considering my occupation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My new Beretta 9mm I ordered should be in today. Yipee!!! I plan on getting my concealed weapons permit because in our state if you don't have one and I transport it in a vehicle to the range it has to be on the dash or on the console in plain site. I'm not comfortable with that so I would want it out of site in my vehicle. Also I plan on locking it up in our gun safe at the house. If we didn't have the safe I would use a lock box for sure.

Another totally crazy thing for me to think of is that when I join the range I have to join the NRA. Never thought in my all my "Canadianism" that I would be a card carrying member of the NRA. I'm going to get one of those big NRA stickers and stick it on my vehicle, too. lol.... Just funny and very ironic to me especially considering my occupation.

We were looking at the beretta px4 storm I think it was called? It seems to be highly reviewed. I dont know if I have to join the NRA at the range here lol we haven't gotten that far yet and my husband has only used base range to shoot at before so it will be new for him to go to a public range with me too lol.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

We were looking at the beretta px4 storm I think it was called? It seems to be highly reviewed. I dont know if I have to join the NRA at the range here lol we haven't gotten that far yet and my husband has only used base range to shoot at before so it will be new for him to go to a public range with me too lol.

Yes, that is the exact same one I ordered, Beretta px4 storm. It's ready for pick-up so hoping to get it tomorrow.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
The US doesn't believe in having residents/citizens register fire arms.

This is not true. If you buy a weapon from a gun dealer(FFL licensed) the weapon will be registered with ATF regardless if it is used or new. If you purchase a weapon from an indivigual seller, no paperwork is required/no registration required.

As far as what pistol to buy, don't pay too much attention to the reviews. Go to a gun store and pick up, hold and feel what fits your hand best. Any name brand pistol(Sig, Taurus, Colt, H & K, Springfield Armory) will be extremely reliable.

For a sub compact I like the Taurus Millenium Pro PT 145 which I own. It is a 45 cal. but it does come in smaller calibers(380,9mm,.40). I advise any inexperienced gun owner to stay away from the Glock, It is a fine pistol and a Hollywood favorite, but the lack of an external safety or decocker makes the pistol more advanced. I have the Mod.21 45 cal and I swear by it.

Glock utilizes a small safety/trigger on the actual trigger itself which in a panic situation the uncomfortable user could accidently discharge.

As far as home protection, nothing is better than a short barreled pump action shotgun.Way more accurate close up than a pistol. Point it aqt the door or down a hallway with buckshot and you WILL hit your target. Not to mention, the sound of a shell being pumped into the chamber will scare away most home invaders.

Pistol locks are a catch 22. You hear someone in your has but you have to get the key, the pistol and unlock it(very small key) your dead. Most gunfire occurs at less than 8 ft. Your typical gun owner who shoots 40 rounds a year will miss over 70% of the time. My pistol is loaded, chamber empty and unlocked in my nightstand. I was raised around guns and I raise my children the same. Last time we went out shooting my 9 y/o daughter shot my .45. Touching any of my weapons is a big no no and they understand this.If they want to see one they ask and that is always a good time for a mini gun safety class.

November 2009- Met online

May 13,2010- Visited in Cebu, Philippines

July 01, 2010 I-129f mailed to Cali

July 06,2010- USCIS confirmed delivery

July 12,2010- NOA-1

July 21,2010- file touched

Nov. 19,2010- NOA2 Approved!!!!

Nov. 24, 2010- NVC received

Nov. 30,2010- Hardcopy recieved in mail

Nov. 30, 2010-case number received from NVC via phone

case forwarded to Manilla

Dec. 06, 2010- paid Visa fee at BPI

Dec. 07,2010-Embassy recieved

Dec. 28, 2010- Appt. finally scheduled

Jan. 11,2011- Medical exam

Jan. 18,2011- Interview APPROVED!!!

Jan. 19,2011- Visa printed

Jan. 22, 2011- Visa delivered

Jan. 30, 2011- Guam

"As far as home protection, nothing is better than a short barreled pump action shotgun.Way more accurate close up than a pistol. Point it at the door or down a hallway with buckshot and you WILL hit your target. Not to mention, the sound of a shell being pumped into the chamber will scare away most home invaders."

I am military trained, would prefer exactly that, given a choice in a shoot or die situation!! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Timeline

Definitely check out the Bersa handguns. They are cheaper but definitely not cheaply made but are excellent weapons. I usually always have 9mm or a .357 or a standard old .45 and even an odd .38 revolver that is fun but I found that the .380 Bersa was the best match for my babe to learn and become familar of. Of course she now is adept at the handguns and has taken over my 9mm but I guess I can let it go and her pretend it is hers. She had never even been around any kind of weapons as they are strictly forbidden in Vietnam for civilians but after a few times getting her used to the noise and then handling it and becoming proficient she is comfortable around them and feels safe. I will add that please no one try to enter the residence while either of us is around. We both shoot tight patterns.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Been around guns all my life. Shooting tight patterns and actually using a gun in slef-defense are two totally different things. If you pull out that gun to use, you best be prepared to use it, otherwise it may be used against you. In the military for nearly 15 yrs and even those macho guys can freeze! Of course no 1 here will admit to that!!! I was fortunate to never have to actually shoot anyone, but sure was an odd feeling cocking the rifle in a real time experience in Croatia in 93.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

If I understand your question - then as LPR can you buy a handgun and keep it in house legally?

The answer is YES.... you can.

You want to get a concealed hangung lic, most likely yes.

I dont think there is anything in law which prohbhits LPR from buying a Hand Gun (legally).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.