lethal pukpok

wife is an overstay with a criminal record

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

hello to all,

this is my first time here so hopefully, i can get some guidance on this subject. here is a quick rundown on our situation.

my wife (filipino citizen)came to the US in 1981 on a visa through her father, who was working for an embassy. her visa was good until 2001 where she became and still is an overstay. in 2000, she was convicted of a felony and a year before that was convicted on a possession of marijuana charge (misdemeanor). she also gave birth to child in 2000 that is a natural born US citizen. since then, she has stayed out of any trouble except for a few traffic tickets.

we were married in 2005, and again in 2008. we have three of our own children, all US citizens.

is it possible to adjust the status of her visa, even though she has overstayed for such a long time and with her criminal record? i am trying to go back into the military and want to add her as a dependant and make it possible for her to travel overseas with me and the children.

thank you for any help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

** moved from "Adjustment of Status (Green Card) from Family Based Visas" to "Adjustment of Status from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas" as you are adjusting from a visa other than a K1, K2, K3 & K4 which the prior forum is for **

Filed: Country:
Timeline
no, she hasn't been subject to anything at all. she came here on a A-2 visa (i think). we have never received anything from USCIS or anybody.

Just because she hasn't received anything from USCIS [or anybody] that doesn't mean that she was never subject to a removal order. People are deported in absentia all the time.

Before you file anything it would be a good idea to contact USCIS and see what they say her current status is. If she has already been ordered deported then marriage will only complicate her case at this point.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

hello to all,

this is my first time here so hopefully, i can get some guidance on this subject. here is a quick rundown on our situation.

my wife (filipino citizen)came to the US in 1981 on a visa through her father, who was working for an embassy. her visa was good until 2001 where she became and still is an overstay. in 2000, she was convicted of a felony and a year before that was convicted on a possession of marijuana charge (misdemeanor). she also gave birth to child in 2000 that is a natural born US citizen. since then, she has stayed out of any trouble except for a few traffic tickets.

we were married in 2005, and again in 2008. we have three of our own children, all US citizens.

is it possible to adjust the status of her visa, even though she has overstayed for such a long time and with her criminal record? i am trying to go back into the military and want to add her as a dependant and make it possible for her to travel overseas with me and the children.

thank you for any help.

Probably not. She came to the US on a diplomatic visa. She would need permission from the US Department of State in order to become an immigrant. They'll want to verify that it won't cause any diplomatic problems with the country she came from. She'd need to file an I-566 to the Department of State, and that can't be approved unless she has maintained her lawful presence in the US.

The felony and marijuana charges are likely inadmissible crimes. Not only would they prevent her from adjusting status, they would prevent her from getting a visa at a US consulate abroad unless she can get a hardship waiver approved.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

hello to all,

thank you for any help.

You need to see Michael Gurfingle.

The overstay might have been forgiven, and often is when marriage is involved. However, the felony and drug charges are a big problem and definately make her "inadmissable". Sorry. You have an uphill battle here.

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Filed: Timeline

Well, dealing with drug addicts everyday at work, I find a simple possession charge as not enough evidence for you to refer to my wife as a "druggie", so i do not appreciate that. I guess that somebody who has ever drank a beer, is an alcoholic then.

But I do appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post and provide me with the link.

Whatever you do, do not contact USCIS about this. Get an immigration lawyer that specialized in family cases.

FWIW, even the most minor possession charges can cause a petition to be denied.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.