웃

Muslim woman says roller-skating rink discriminated against her

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

Muslim woman says roller-skating rink discriminated against her

A Muslim woman claims that a Connecticut roller-skating rink discriminated against her because it wouldn't allow her to skate in her headscarf.

Marisol Rodriguez-Colon, 40, said she was "mortified" when she and another female relative showed up for a niece's birthday party at the Ron-A-Roll rink in Vernon and were barred at the door.

The venue's rules, posted at the entrance, read: "No Hats. No Headwear. No Exceptions."

Colon said her religious hijab shouldn't count under that policy -- and tried to appeal to a rink manager.

"We wear this for religious reasons," Colon said. "But they didn't want to hear that."

The manager, Colon said, gave the women two choices: take off the headscarves, or wear a helmet over them.

Taking off the hijabs was "not an option," Colon told WTIC-TV in Hartford.

She said she has worn the traditional headscarf for 16 years and has it on "wherever I go."

She and the other relative went back to their car and missed the party.

"I wear this with pride," Colon said. "I was mortified -- by asking someone to wear a helmet you are actually ostracizing us.

"You are singling us out and showing everyone there is an issue -- that something is wrong with these two women."

Ron-A-Roll management issued a statement spelling out its "no headwear" policy. It said helmets are offered for safety purposes.

"You are not allowed -- you are not welcome here. That is what that says to me," Colon said of the statement.

She said she was insulted that the rink would deny entrance to people "because of what they believe and what they are wearing because of those beliefs."

The Council on American-Islamic Relations said yesterday it filed a complaint with Connecticut's Human Rights Commission.

Several years ago, University of Albany student Zahra Shah was barred from wearing her headscarf at an upstate New York roller rink.

That arena, citing insurance reasons, also banned headwear.

An employee at the time told Shah that other skaters could trip and get hurt if the hijab fell off.

When Shah explained that she wore the scarf for religious reasons, one rink employee told her it was like a cowboy "religiously" wearing a cowboy hat.

After a barrage of phone calls from activist groups and others, the rink management apologized and said Shah could skate with her headscarf.

http://www.nypost.co...L#ixzz16PmYBQ4U

Edited by Lord Infamous

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh god... shut this ###### up....

Waaaaaaaaah, they won't let me go into this private business, waaaaaaaahh..

Get the F- over yourself and open your own skating rink that allows head coverings.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Post attacking member removed. Personal attacks are a TOS violation. Fair warning.

Was not attacking anyone, If anyone attacked anyone it was muslims attacking NYC world trade center on 9/11! I see how this works only more liberal feel good PC stuff here! :whistle:

It's nice they compromised everyones safety and apologized for their thoughtless concern for safety...

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I guess im having a problem understanding how it is a safety problem.........i have three sisters that play basketball, volley ball and run track they all wear hijab and they don't come off if they are put on properly there has never been an issue with theirs at all.......i also wear hijab and have never had a problem with it coming off.

sara

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I guess im having a problem understanding how it is a safety problem.........i have three sisters that play basketball, volley ball and run track they all wear hijab and they don't come off if they are put on properly there has never been an issue with theirs at all.......i also wear hijab and have never had a problem with it coming off.

sara

hats and similar can fall/get knocked off and get caught in skates... As they said, it's an insurance thing. You'd be surprised the requirements/things you can do for a better rate lol...

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

hats and similar can fall/get knocked off and get caught in skates... As they said, it's an insurance thing. You'd be surprised the requirements/things you can do for a better rate lol...

then im assuming they have had a problem in the past as we have never had any problems roller skating or ice skating no one has ever made it an issue :)

sara

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

sara

it may also affect one's peripheral vision.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
The manager, Colon said, gave the women two choices: take off the headscarves, or wear a helmet over them.

She had the option of wearing a helmet so she didn't HAVE to leave the arena. She chose to leave on her own. Her decision.

The venue's rules, posted at the entrance, read: "No Hats. No Headwear. No Exceptions."

Next...

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg