tryhy1

Revoking US Citizenship

41 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

Where did you hear about these? The first one is correct, the second one isn't as you do not have to maintain a foreign passport at all. In fact many new US citizens from places like India, Peru, many old Soviet block countries, Japan etc have to forgo their old citizenships and no longer can legally have a passport from their native countries anymore. The only correct thing about the #2 is that you will just have your place of birth on your US passport and that is it. You are not required to have any other passport but the US one, and in fact the US would prefer if you didn't...

Certain countries won't allow you in with an American Passport when they see you were born in that country. They expect you to have a passport of that particular country. That is the problem I think. When the US simply wouldn't mention the place of birth, that problem wouldn't exist. It is confusing anyway. A lot of my Belgian friends were born in Germany because their parents were stationed in Germany with the army. Although they are Belgians , on the American passport it looks like they are Germans. This is very confusing and might lead to problems.

Naturalization Journey

7/16/2010 N400 sent to Texas Lockbox

7/20/2010 Delivery Notification N400 Package

7/28/2010 Check Cashed

7/29/2010 NOA received per mail / Notice date = 7/26/2010

8/09/2010 NOA received per mail / FP / Notice date = 8/05/2010

9/03/2010 Fingerprints

9/27/2010 Yellow letter received per mail / Notice date = 9/23/2010

10/21/2010 Case touched and file send to local office

10/29/2010 NOA2 interview received per mail / FP / Notice date = 10/22/2010

11/23/2010 Citizenship Interview - APPROVED

11/23/2010 Oath Ceremony in Newark, NJ - U.S. CITIZEN

11/24/2010 Received my passport

11/24/2010 Took care of my SSC and Driver's License

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Where did you hear about these? The first one is correct, the second one isn't as you do not have to maintain a foreign passport at all. In fact many new US citizens from places like India, Peru, many old Soviet block countries, Japan etc have to forgo their old citizenships and no longer can legally have a passport from their native countries anymore. The only correct thing about the #2 is that you will just have your place of birth on your US passport and that is it. You are not required to have any other passport but the US one, and in fact the US would prefer if you didn't...

Should have stated for some countries, like Colombia. Yes no law requires my wife to have a Colombian passport, but without one, she can't visit her mom. Since my place of birth is Illinois, no problem for me to walk in, get a nice welcome and asked to spend a lot of money in Colombia.

USA equally welcomes visitors, as long as you have lots of money to spend here, but if you are not so rich and they think you are going to stay here, won't issue you a visa.

I have to agree with this one. to the US you are a US citizen and nothing else....

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Certain countries won't allow you in with an American Passport when they see you were born in that country. They expect you to have a passport of that particular country. That is the problem I think. When the US simply wouldn't mention the place of birth, that problem wouldn't exist. It is confusing anyway. A lot of my Belgian friends were born in Germany because their parents were stationed in Germany with the army. Although they are Belgians , on the American passport it looks like they are Germans. This is very confusing and might lead to problems.

Which is interesting because if you hold a US passport, I was under the impression that you have to travel into the US upon your return on said US passport. However, isn't there is also a requirement to travel out on the same passport you intend to return on? So what happens then?

Edited by SunDrop

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Which is interesting because if you hold a US passport, I was under the impression that you have to travel into the US upon your return on said US passport. However, isn't there is also a requirement to travel out on the same passport you intend to return on? So what happens then?

Yes - as a USC, you must exit/enter on a US passort... no other document will be accepted.

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Yes - as a USC, you must exit/enter on a US passort... no other document will be accepted.

V333k isn't exactly correct. You DO have to present you US passport (which is just stupid in my opinion if you're travelling to a country where you have a passport), but you also have to present your "visa" or evidence that you're permitted to travel to the country in question... in cases of dual citizenship (lets pretend I'm a USC and dual Aussie off to visit Australia) you have to show your US passport to get your tickets ('cause you booked using US passport), then Aussie passport to prove you're allowed to go there. Once you've shown your aussie passport you put it away and continue the rest of your trip on the US passport (security screening etc) then you land in Australia and put your US passport away and proceed through lines on your Aussie passport.

When you leave Australia you show your US passport as proof of being able to go to travel to the US, and probably your Aussie to let Australia know you left (I'm not sure about this one 'cause I'm pretty sure Australia doesn't track their citizens like the US does.. not 100% sure though).

It's very convoluted :S

Filed: Other Timeline

It's so much more fun to me, as I'm changing my given, typical German name, something like like Wilhelm Freiherr von Brauchitsch, at the naturalization to a typical American name, such as Rasputin von und zu Stauffenberg, perfectly legal.

Thus, I'm having a blast showing the airport in Los Angeles, when I show them my US passport and ticket, issued to Rasputin, and then my German passport in the name of Wilhelm, and when arriving at Frankfurt, Germany with the same passport, yet a non-matching ticket.

Once I leave Germany, I check in as Rasputin at the counter, switch to Wilhelm when passing customs and border patrol (because I have to) -- of course, again with a ticket that doesn't match the name -- and arrive in the US again as Rasputin.

Dual citizenship can be so much fun when you deal with the retarded drones of Governments who make things their business that it's any of theirs. I remember that early in the 1990s, nobody cared about "matching" anything. You paid for a ticket, you checked in with it, you had a boarding pass, you were allowed on the plane. Simple as that.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

It's so much more fun to me, as I'm changing my given, typical German name, something like like Wilhelm Freiherr von Brauchitsch, at the naturalization to a typical American name, such as Rasputin von und zu Stauffenberg, perfectly legal.

Thus, I'm having a blast showing the airport in Los Angeles, when I show them my US passport and ticket, issued to Rasputin, and then my German passport in the name of Wilhelm, and when arriving at Frankfurt, Germany with the same passport, yet a non-matching ticket.

Once I leave Germany, I check in as Rasputin at the counter, switch to Wilhelm when passing customs and border patrol (because I have to) -- of course, again with a ticket that doesn't match the name -- and arrive in the US again as Rasputin.

Dual citizenship can be so much fun when you deal with the retarded drones of Governments who make things their business that it's any of theirs. I remember that early in the 1990s, nobody cared about "matching" anything. You paid for a ticket, you checked in with it, you had a boarding pass, you were allowed on the plane. Simple as that.

LMAO!!!! With the new TSA rules, I think you will have in one trip enough cavity searches (excuse my language) to keep you in therapy for the rest of your life ...

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Leave USA with a US passport, enter Colombia with a Colombian passport, leave Colombia with their passport, walk a few feet and whip out your US passport at the airline counter, All bags and luggage is checked, and maybe even you in Bogota, but the same occurs again when you reach the POE in the USA. Makes for a very long day.

Maybe even a long day for those traveling tomorrow, according to this article.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

A Lot of Glen Beck and urban myth stuff going on here

As I understand it, lying at any time during the whole of the Immigration process or commiting treason can lead to proceedings to revoke citizenship at any time and forever. Apart from that, rendering a person stateless is never done. I think even murder is ok but it is to be discouraged. The US is full of murderers so one more won't make a difference.

Possibly the 2 year thing is that the USCIS needs to go through less court gymanastics if it's due to lying during the process ?

Interesting and I had not heard of that 2 year rule - I will research it

check this its called 'administrative revocation'>>

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_citizenship_be_revoked

Edited by Alan the Red

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

It's all here

If the USCIS make a mistake they can go back and revoke

Say they carried out the oath before the anniversary date because of their mistake ....They could revoke and start again.

As far as the USCIS is concerned...

'You can check out any time you want - but you can never leave.'

http://www.justice.gov/olc/ina340.htm

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I hadn't thought of that... I'm a USC born in another country because of my dad being in the military. Only one passport, only one citizenship. I did notice the fact that it probably looks like I was from somewhere else and naturalized. Now I'm wondering, if I ever travel to the country of my birth, if I'll have a problem since I don't have a passport from there...

venusfire

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Timeline

I hadn't thought of that... I'm a USC born in another country because of my dad being in the military. Only one passport, only one citizenship. I did notice the fact that it probably looks like I was from somewhere else and naturalized. Now I'm wondering, if I ever travel to the country of my birth, if I'll have a problem since I don't have a passport from there...

venusfire

This is what I have from another forum. I assume you're Maroccan...

... You most diffinetely need a moroccan ID, believe me i do it every year and i am also an american citizen for many years, its usually when you leaving morocco that it becomes a problem, arriving its not a problem.

If you were born in morocco, once you are there all the law apply on you regardless if you are american citizen, they don't care about that the law is the law.

You don't need a moroccan passport more than you need a moroccan ID, and if you use a moroccan passport for your trip, you need to provide a green card or a visa when you leaving and we all know that once you become a citizen you give away your green card.

Another thing you need to know about our moroccan embassy, you can extend and renew a passport there express even but an Id it takes a long time since it can only be done in morocco they don't renew them here in the state.

The best things to do is call the embassy and start the process for your Id, they will give you a receipt that you filed for one and that's what you use in morocco, my brother just did the same thing and he had no problems what so ever....

Good luck

Naturalization Journey

7/28/2010 Check Cashed

9/03/2010 Fingerprints

Timeline

venusfire

BTW Venusfire... it's impossible to revoke the Maroccan Nationality. The Maroccan law doesn't allow it. We have a lot of Maroccans in Belgium that were born in Belgium but automatically were made Maroccans. They were not able to refuse it, even when they wanted it to.

Naturalization Journey

7/28/2010 Check Cashed

9/03/2010 Fingerprints

Timeline

BTW Venusfire... it's impossible to revoke the Maroccan Nationality. The Maroccan law doesn't allow it. We have a lot of Maroccans in Belgium that were born in Belgium but automatically were made Maroccans. They were not able to refuse it, even when they wanted it to.

So the child of a Moroccan born anywhere in the world is automatically a Moroccan citizen without having to apply for Moroccan citizenship ?

How does Morocco know who it's citizens are giving birth to in other countries ?

does not compute

moresheep400100.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.