Nadia and Denis

Supporting evidence for the Affidavit of support doubt

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi everyone!

So, I'm getting ready for my interview on November 30th and I have a doubt about the supporting documentation that needs to be attached to the I-134 form. The instructions say the US citizen, IF self-employed, has to send the last income tax return filed. My fiance is not self-employed and he is above the poverty line, having an income of more than $50,000. So what he sent me is a letter of his employer, transactions history of the last 3 months, electronic paystubs. Is that enough? Do I need other kind of evidence of his income?

Thank you for your help.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I had the same question and panic just before my interview. I think as long as you have enough "evidence" to show how much he earns, his assets and what he owes you will be fine. I did not have the income tax return either - it is good to have because it will have all that on it so it is an "easy read" or summary of his overall financial situation, but I was not asked for it.

Adjusting from K-1

06/24/11 - mailed AOS/EAD/AP applications to Chicago Lockbox

06/29/11 - received email notification of arrival

08/05/11 - still no word on EAD - no RFE, no NOA... Wondering if this is something to worry about?!

08/11/11 - biometrics apt in Fairbanks (apt letter listed AOS only)

Timeline

Ohh thank you. Like I said, his income is enough but when he printed the transaction history the current balance was just $300. Can that be a problem? Cuz he doesn't have savings or anything.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
So, I'm getting ready for my interview on November 30th and I have a doubt about the supporting documentation that needs to be attached to the I-134 form. The instructions say the US citizen, IF self-employed, has to send the last income tax return filed. My fiance is not self-employed and he is above the poverty line, having an income of more than $50,000. So what he sent me is a letter of his employer, transactions history of the last 3 months, electronic paystubs. Is that enough? Do I need other kind of evidence of his income?

Thank you for your help.

The form itself ONLY required a letter from his employer (stating annual income, employed since, and position.. all on company letter head) and a letter from his bank (stating when the account was opened, amount deposited over a year and something else.. it's in the instructions).

Some consulates change their requirements. Some countries require the most recent tax return (or 3 most recent), some require pay stubs. Have a read of your consulate requirements to see if you need to do anything special OR just include the tax returns and pay stubs "just in case".

Ohh thank you. Like I said, his income is enough but when he printed the transaction history the current balance was just $300. Can that be a problem? Cuz he doesn't have savings or anything.

He doesn't print the "transaction history". it's actually a letter FROM his bank on company letterhead. A printout can easily be doctored and i doubt it will be accepted.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi everyone!

Thank you for your help.

There have been people that have succeeded without "last years tax return". Kiev also phrases it in the instructions as "optional" if you are not self employed but I have known of cases where they held the visa until the tax return was delivered.

Consulates have WIDE latitude in what they require and can decide "on the fly" so to speak. The defense of "but the instructions say..." won't help. They can change the rules...just for YOU if they so decide. I always suggest having the most recent year tax retun as one of the attached pieces of "evidence". He can scan and email you a copy, it does NOT have to have original signatures. Be sure he also emails copies of ALL forms and schedules and his w-2 forms to go with it.

I had the same question and panic just before my interview. I think as long as you have enough "evidence" to show how much he earns, his assets and what he owes you will be fine. I did not have the income tax return either - it is good to have because it will have all that on it so it is an "easy read" or summary of his overall financial situation, but I was not asked for it.

generally this is true...it IS true. But note that THEY decide what is "enough" If you have a tax return from last year available it is FOOLISH not to provide it.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

The form itself ONLY required a letter from his employer (stating annual income, employed since, and position.. all on company letter head) and a letter from his bank (stating when the account was opened, amount deposited over a year and something else.. it's in the instructions).

Some consulates change their requirements. Some countries require the most recent tax return (or 3 most recent), some require pay stubs. Have a read of your consulate requirements to see if you need to do anything special OR just include the tax returns and pay stubs "just in case".

He doesn't print the "transaction history". it's actually a letter FROM his bank on company letterhead. A printout can easily be doctored and i doubt it will be accepted.

In most cases COPIES of 12 months of bank statements (it need only be the "cover page" that shows deposits) is acceptable in lieu of a "bank letter" IF you use a "bank letter" it must have the original signature of a bank officer.

Current balance has no effect.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Thank you, thank you! My fiance is going to send me his last year tax return, just in case. In the consulate instructions they say:

The sponsor must attach proof of his/her income such as: copy of last U.S. Federal Income Tax (form 1040), proof of current employment, job offer, pay-slip, etc.

So it seems to me that they give examples of what can prove his income, not that one or another is really required.

Timeline

Thank you, thank you! My fiance is going to send me his last year tax return, just in case. In the consulate instructions they say:

The sponsor must attach proof of his/her income such as: copy of last U.S. Federal Income Tax (form 1040), proof of current employment, job offer, pay-slip, etc.

So it seems to me that they give examples of what can prove his income, not that one or another is really required.

Correct. But THEY decide which of those they want. If you have them, it is best to have them with you. If they say "we want to see your..." you will feel real foolish to say..."Oh yeah, I have that. It is on my kitchen table. 5000 miles away"

I gave them ONE year tax return, recent pay stubs, a letter from my employer and a bank letter. Why not?

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Yeah that would suck so bad! I asked my fiance to get the bank letter too, but now I will only have the copy of it :( hope it's ok.

Thank you so much for your help!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

moving to:

US Embassy and Consulate Discussion

This is the place to post your experiences or questions related to this last step before moving to the US. Topics relating to I-134's, packets sent from consulate and medical & police certificates should be posted here.

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.