oceanshark

proof of relationship

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

i understand about many of the "proof" things. however, i am very curious about this aspect of it for the K1. we have a gaziilion chats and emails. do we include conversations where there was tension and or arguments? to show a "real" relationship? or just to good stuff, which there is plenty of:-)please advise....thanks again for everything....todd

"life is a journey"

i understand about many of the "proof" things. however, i am very curious about this aspect of it for the K1. we have a gaziilion chats and emails. do we include conversations where there was tension and or arguments? to show a "real" relationship? or just to good stuff, which there is plenty of:-)please advise....thanks again for everything....todd

If you can print out an index; do so. Then cherry-pick which conversations to include. To my mind conversations dealing with reminicences or talk of the future are perfect for this purpose.

7-30-07 - Met in Santa Marta, Colombia

9-19-08 - Engaged

7-13-10 - I-129F sent by USPS Expressmail to VSC;

10-18-10 - NOA2!!!!!!!!!! (Received in hand 10-22-10)

11-12-10 - Sent email to Embassy asking about petition; response "Petition rec'd; send in documents"; sent same day

11-24-10 - Called the Department of State; interview has been scheduled

11-29-10 - Package 3 received by beneficiary

01-19-11 - Interview - VISA APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!

01-27-11 - Passport received; visa in hand

02-08-11 - POE - Fort Lauderdale, Fla MISSED FLIGHT; 02-10-11 - POE second time's the charm. Easy POE. Welcome to the USA.

03-04-11 - Married

AOS

05-08-11 - Mailed out I-485, I-765 & I-131;

05-16-11 - Text & email msgs with Receipt Number

05-17-11 - Applied for Expedited AP as Victoria's mother was very ill; 05-18-11 - Picked up AP document

05-20-11 - Victoria returns to Colombia; NOA1 for all 3 forms arrive

06-03-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; RFE 06-07-11 - RFE arrives for 2010 Tax Return

06-08-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; Post Office returned a letter that was sent by USCIS; 06-09-11 - Issue resolved

06-14-11 - RFE response sent; 06-21-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; RFE response under review

06-29-11 - Text message "Case now updated"; Case transferred to CSC

08-30-11 - Victoria returns to US

08-31-11 - Biometrics done; Text message - "EAD Card Production ordered"

09-11 - Case transferred back from CSC

11-22-11 - Interview in Albany Field Office. AOS APPROVED.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

the conversation in whcih you call eachother husband or wife or anything of that sort with any reference to engagement party ( if you had one ) are no nos,that could make a CO doubt that you are engaged and not married

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I did not include "content" of emails for proof of ongoing relationship and it doesn't appear to be necessary to go to that level of detail. What was recommended here were things from the following:

Photo's of you together with your fiancee.

Airline boarding passes that showed you flew to be with her or visa versa (dates etc)

Itineraries.

Stamps in the passport related to the above.

I did include a listing of emails sent over time, but no printouts of their contents, just maybe 10 pages over so many months showing emails sent and received, dates, her name and email address associated.

I provided a 2 or 3 page narrative stating when first became romantically involved, a summary of each visit with each other, dates and the items I provided as evidence (photo's, passport stamped pages, plane tickets etc). Since we used voice over internet chat (Ventrilo) to talk nearly daily, I just stated that as the explanation why there were periods with not much email. I didn't have any logs to that effect but the other evidence provided I'm sure the fact that we had visited each other in person 3 times prior to filing, that was sufficient for the I129F and it was accepted, no RFE's. Perhaps if we had only met once they might have wanted to see more but 3 separate visits (1 week, 2 weeks and 1 month) probably made a good case.

Formerly of not so sunny Syracuse, New York (and going way back, Davis California!)

- 2008 Aug Met and began online relationship

- 2008 Dec 2-7 Met 1st time in person (England)

- 2009 Mar 28 Became engaged

- 2009 Apr 2-15 Met 2nd time in person (Syracuse-NY-USA)

- 2009 Aug 25 - Sep 25 Met 3rd time in person (Syracuse-NY-USA)

- 2009 Oct 19 Sent I-129F Application to USCIS

- 2009 Oct 30 NOA1 received

- 2010 Jan 20 NOA2 received (Approval Notice)

- 2010 Feb 4 Notified that approved I-129F petition forward to US Emabassy at London

- 2010 Mar 26 - Apr 15 Met 4th time in person (Fairfax-VA-USA)

- 2010 July 29 Fiancee had medical in London

- 2010 July 30 London Embassy Interview Date (K1 Visa approved pending a laundry list of medial stuff)

- 2010 Nov 2 Courier website shows K1 Visa packet enroute for delivery. 1st indication of final approval!

- 2010 Nov 3 K1 Visa packet delivered by courier! Visa's are in the building and in my fiancees hands! (tentative Jan 2011 arrival)

This subject gets kicked around quite a bit on vj. Apparently there is some debate as to how much proof is required, and it depends on where you are interviewing. In the Embassy at Kiev, Ukraine where we interviewed, none of that stuff was necessary. For the petition itself, call and email/skype logs are not really considered substantive proof. Lots of folks send it anyway - the logic being more proof is always better. Post on your regional sub-forum and ask about the interview at the embassy (in China, right?) where you will be.

I don't think that any particular conversation works better than others though.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

We included copies of emails, chats and even snail mail we sent each other especially ones where we were discussing the wedding, plans for the future etc. Its better to send too much than not send enough.

Timeline

I've heard of people bringing a mountain of stuff to the interview and nearly every case mentioned here it was never looked at. As others have said, I don't think it can hurt to send too much but there is a point that you have to provide a good amount of envidence and call it enough. The I129F has to fit in the mail after all. Mine was less than a half inch thick. I sent a good dose of the basics and then made sure my fiancee had extra stuff she could come armed with at the interview, including things we kept like snail mail correspondence or cards etc, and additional photo's etc. We didn't go crazy like some people do but did want to have sufficient stuff. We haven't used snail mail all that much and lets face it, with the internet email, instant messaging, ventrilo, skype etc, not all that much is sent back and forth via snail mail anymore.

I do see the sense in following the regional forums because what embassy's accept may be different depending on countries the fiancee is applied for, especially the countries with higher rates of fraud so those may need more evidence etc. Get feed back from people dealing with those embassy's.

Formerly of not so sunny Syracuse, New York (and going way back, Davis California!)

- 2010 Feb 4 Notified that approved I-129F petition forward to US Emabassy at London

- 2010 July 30 London Embassy Interview Date (K1 Visa approved pending a laundry list of medial stuff)

- 2010 Nov 2 Courier website shows K1 Visa packet enroute for delivery. 1st indication of final approval!

- 2010 Nov 3 K1 Visa packet delivered by courier! Visa's are in the building and in my fiancees hands! (tentative Jan 2011 arrival)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

This subject gets kicked around quite a bit on vj. Apparently there is some debate as to how much proof is required, and it depends on where you are interviewing. In the Embassy at Kiev, Ukraine where we interviewed, none of that stuff was necessary. For the petition itself, call and email/skype logs are not really considered substantive proof. Lots of folks send it anyway - the logic being more proof is always better. Post on your regional sub-forum and ask about the interview at the embassy (in China, right?) where you will be.

I don't think that any particular conversation works better than others though.

Why doesn't call logs and skype call logs count as evidence? Mostly we only talk through skype calling because it is the cheapest way to stay in touch.

ฉันรักคุณ
K-1
Filed May 2011
116 days to NOA2
4 days for the NVC
74 days to the interview
Interview date: 12/14/11 APPROVED!
POE: 12/16/11
Total days from NOA1 to K-1 Visa in hand: 202
Wedding Date: 12/27/11

AOS
Sent AOS: 4/21/12
NOA1: 4/30/12
RFE: 5/14/12
Biometrics App.: 5/21/12
Sent RFE Response: 5/31/12
Interview: 7/24/12
Approval: 10/12/12

Currently.... they have issued Ice the incorrect GC and we have tried 4 times to fix it. First time they had us send it to the incorrect address. Second time they said we used an expired form, which was the form they gave us. Third time was "oh sorry we lost the last page, can you send it again?." Fourth time is the gov is shut down. Will this ever be corrected in time for Ice to get the permanent GC? Stay tuned to find out. T_T

I've heard of people bringing a mountain of stuff to the interview and nearly every case mentioned here it was never looked at. As others have said, I don't think it can hurt to send too much but there is a point that you have to provide a good amount of envidence and call it enough. The I129F has to fit in the mail after all. Mine was less than a half inch thick. I sent a good dose of the basics and then made sure my fiancee had extra stuff she could come armed with at the interview, including things we kept like snail mail correspondence or cards etc, and additional photo's etc. We didn't go crazy like some people do but did want to have sufficient stuff. We haven't used snail mail all that much and lets face it, with the internet email, instant messaging, ventrilo, skype etc, not all that much is sent back and forth via snail mail anymore.

I do see the sense in following the regional forums because what embassy's accept may be different depending on countries the fiancee is applied for, especially the countries with higher rates of fraud so those may need more evidence etc. Get feed back from people dealing with those embassy's.

I agree with all of that. We sent a few email printouts and about a half dozen pictures with family. My wife brought a ton of proof to the embassy that they didn't even want to see. Also, my attending the interview was a plus - but in some countries they won't allow the USC to participate at all.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

i dont think the consular will read your conversations where there was arguments and say " well they fight that mean them relation is real lets give them the visa " i think you should show nice things, anyways the e-mails took just 5% or 8% of the level of proofs cuz you have just to start your computer and write words in ya keyboard and push " enter ", a letter is better, you write it with your own hand, you walk to the mail office, you buy a stamp you write the address and send it.

what's matters to you? what are you doing or what people think about what are you doing?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You REALLY NEED to go to the regional forum and understand very thoroughly what the Embassy in China wants to see.

It seems that they are a very difficult Embassy and maybe you need more than just emails and chats to prove your relationship. This is very important and you should not gloss over it.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

i dont think the consular will read your conversations where there was arguments and say " well they fight that mean them relation is real lets give them the visa " i think you should show nice things, anyways the e-mails took just 5% or 8% of the level of proofs cuz you have just to start your computer and write words in ya keyboard and push " enter ", a letter is better, you write it with your own hand, you walk to the mail office, you buy a stamp you write the address and send it.

A agree. I don't think it helps anyone to offer unflattering stuff in an effort to show a "real" relationship. You don't want to make them doubt the success of the relationship with arguemnts etc. As above, offer positive things but a sampling. No need to send them a "bug squasher". =P

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Ultimately all of this will end up at GUZ for the interview. You can not submit more information after the initial filing (unless RFE), therefore search on 'front loading". Among other things, GUZ likes to see the length of relationship, communication ability and time together (travel). Emails / Email logs help prove the first two.

Good luck

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

For ours, I submitted the boarding passes, and itineries. I submitted hotel reciepts and visa statements. I submitted some emails, a couple per month, maybe a dozen pictures, a couple from this trip, a couple from that trip .. you get the picture. I submitted maybe a years worth of telephone bills. I kinda front loaded the K1 petition with evidence.

We had about 6 months between the initial petition and the interview. For the interview I stocked up everything, I had my fiance send me cards back that I had sent him over the years, I pretty much had it all.

At the interview I could hear the CO going through papers, I got the impression he was reading over the intitial evidence. When I went to have my interview, he didnt ask for 1 peice of evidence from my "new" and "improved" book.

What I really think it comes down to is the consulate ( high fraud ) and the actual Consulate officer that you get for your interview.

Look back at what youre submitting from a 3rd party and see if you believe that what you are sending is enough to "prove" to a complete stranger that you are in fact in love with this person.

Ill add too .. my newer evidence book was about 5" thick ...

I had the flight information

Hotel reciepts/gas reciepts/dinner reciepts/movie pay stubs

Emails

Chat logs

Forums with insta chat and our personal accounts - he has his interests set to --- My Name Here

Cards/gifts

Phone records from home/work/cell

Facebook converstations

Conversations with friends - email and facebook

Pictures ( they say that one picture says 1000 words )

Im glad I front loaded my petition, but I was prepared for anything with the revised book. I think though that maybe for this question you may want to look a peoples experiences with the consulate, read the reviews, I think that will help you alot.

Best of luck !

~~~ Hes the chance Im taking ~~~

April 2007 - Met online

Oct. 2008 - He came to Canada to meet me

Dec 25 2009 officially engaged

March 2010 - sent off I-129F

March 27 2010 - Vermont receives package :)

April 3 2010 - Informed through mail that cheque is cashed NOA1

May 28 2010 - RFE notification ( yeah Im online checking alot >.< )

June 5 2010 - RFE hardcopy received

June 18 2010 - RFE returned ( had done it June 7 - but USPS returned grrrr )

--- case says we should hear from them in 60 days from June 18 ---

June 23 - Touched

Aug4 - Email notification of NoA2 :)

Aug. 10 - NOA2 Hardcopy received

Sept. 13 - Faxed off Package 3

Sept 14 - Interview notification set for Oct. 5

Oct. 5 2010 Interview Passed

March 17 2011 POE Canadian/US border

April 1 2011 Marriage

Mailed AOS June 1

Chicago Lockbox confirms delivery June 3

Check cashed through bank - notification June 9

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.