Ken y Leidys

Jury Duty Bites!

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I've sat on a jury twice, and both times, some jackhole made us stay there an extra 6 hours because he had doubts about the validity of the evidence. A car salesman now suddenly qualified to evaluate and ignore forensic evidence held us up for 6 hours because he didn't believe in DNA as a valid form of identification. The second trial I was on, the man was charged with making terrorist threats to police and his wife, all of which you could hear on the 911 tape. However, a retiree on the jury thought he had seen on t.v. that you can fake all those 911 calls, so he held out for 6 hours. Stupid people make jury duty unbearable.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Stupid people make jury duty unbearable.
Si, man, and some attorneys go out of their way to select the stupidest (most gullible, most swayable) jurors that they can. I have always been able to get out of jury duty by showing up and being sure to display bias by raising my hand when either of the attorneys asks a loaded or disqualifying question during the screening process.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Si, man, and some attorneys go out of their way to select the stupidest (most gullible, most swayable) jurors that they can. I have always been able to get out of jury duty by showing up and being sure to display bias by raising my hand when either of the attorneys asks a loaded or disqualifying question during the screening process.

Same here and then that gave me two weeks of being out of work and playing golf and fishing and having fun. It was easy for sure.

Now I am trying to figure out how to get on a jury for this upcoming jury duty in Federal court though as I don't want to miss 6 weeks of work so maybe the one that couldn't figure out how to do it can let me know what to say and do to get them to pick me. I was told that if I can get on a jury and they usually last a couple of days then my jury duty is over and I will be free to go on with my life.sad.gif

No-one - you're the only selfish ####### around here. :angry:

If you're experience in life disqualifies you for Jury Duty, but every time you must sit in the jury pool area for an entire day, wouldn't you consider that a waste of time?

Ken y Leidys’ Timeline

May 1, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-1)

Aug 4, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-2)

Oct 7, 2009 - Bogota Interview

Oct 16, 2009 - Diomesa package arrived in downtown Barranquilla

Oct 20, 2009 - Leidys took bus to Diomesa Office to pick up Visa/Passport package because ("We don't deliver to your Barrio").

Nov 22, 2009 - POE (30 min.) Los Angeles, Intl.

Dec 27, 2009 - Wedding

March 8, 2010 - AOS NOA

April 8, 2010 - AOS BIO (in Riverside, CA)

May 11, 2010 - AOS AP

May 24, 2010 - AOS Interview

May 27, 2010 - AOS EAD May 27, 2010

Jun 18, 2010 - Green Card Received!

Apr 07, 2012 - ROC Filed

Oct 11, 2012 - ROC RFE

Jan 08, 2013 - CONDITIONS REMOVED!!!

VicFrndz.jpgBAQ+Taxi.jpgclubberz.jpgCumbiaz.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

Some of you may think it's "un-American" but as a European, an educated one, and a philosopher, a studied one, I am against the concept of a jury of one's peers. I rather prefer to have a judge, or --- depending on the level -- three judges make an informed decision than depending on the attorneys trying to select the most favorable jurors, more often than not based on race. Think about it, why did mass murderer O.J. Simpson get acquitted? Because of jurors who judged in favor of his race and celebrity status!

The system is inadequate and more often than not seen as a burden by Americans selected to serve as jurors. Time for change, change we can believe in!

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

what he said. :thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If you're experience in life disqualifies you for Jury Duty, but every time you must sit in the jury pool area for an entire day, wouldn't you consider that a waste of time?

I consider that bullshit. Establishing a policy against DUI and bribing police in a foreign country makes

you unsuitable for jury duty? What #######.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

on the attorneys trying to select the most favorable jurors, more often than not based on race.

For someone who claims to be so damn well educated, you clearly have no idea how jurors are selected.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

I consider that bullshit. Establishing a policy against DUI and bribing police in a foreign country makes

I agree. But, I can use some downtime...Hopefully, they will pick me for Jury Duty tomorrow so I can relax a little.

Ken y Leidys’ Timeline

Oct 20, 2009 - Leidys took bus to Diomesa Office to pick up Visa/Passport package because ("We don't deliver to your Barrio").

Dec 27, 2009 - Wedding

March 8, 2010 - AOS NOA

May 11, 2010 - AOS AP

Apr 07, 2012 - ROC Filed

Oct 11, 2012 - ROC RFE

Establishing a policy against DUI would demonstrate this potential juror has a particular view on drinking and driving, which maybe considered prejudicial to his client - especially if the case involves driving whilst under the influence.

Establishing a policy against DUI would demonstrate this potential juror has a particular view on drinking and driving, which maybe considered prejudicial to his client - especially if the case involves driving whilst under the influence.

This is exactly what the Lawyers were concerned about. I had to tow a friend who got into a DUI in Mexicali, Mexico and totalled his Toyota pickup. It took us 2 hours from the initial accident, but I got him back into the USA with his banged up pickup for only about $600 and no time in jail. This makes me a pseudo-lawyer, and I don't know who wouldn't go to bat for their buddy in a foreign country, although I have an even stronger view against drinking and driving now. :bonk:

Ken y Leidys’ Timeline

Dec 27, 2009 - Wedding

March 8, 2010 - AOS NOA

May 11, 2010 - AOS AP

Apr 07, 2012 - ROC Filed

Oct 11, 2012 - ROC RFE

Jury Duty was so easy. It felt just like therapy. No long commute, just sitting in the Jury Pool space working on my laptop, listening to...PSYTRANCE and just taking it easy. I could do Jury Duty once a month! :thumbs:

Ken y Leidys’ Timeline

Dec 27, 2009 - Wedding

March 8, 2010 - AOS NOA

May 11, 2010 - AOS AP

Apr 07, 2012 - ROC Filed

Oct 11, 2012 - ROC RFE