Seven

SSN card processing time

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

Hello everybody!!!

I'm moving next friday to USA under a K1 visa. I know we have to wait 2 weeks for me to be in the system in order to apply for a SSN number. How long do we have to wait to get married after that? I guess we will have to wait for the SSN card so, how long it usually takes for the card to be issued?

Thank you in advance.

God bless

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hello everybody!!!

I'm moving next friday to USA under a K1 visa. I know we have to wait 2 weeks for me to be in the system in order to apply for a SSN number. How long do we have to wait to get married after that? I guess we will have to wait for the SSN card so, how long it usually takes for the card to be issued?

Thank you in advance.

God bless

I got married before having a SSN.

Anyway, i had the card one week after applying.

Long story short

2008-11-01 - Met for the first time in Italy

2009-06-10 - Liz moved in

2009-10-13 - We found out we were pregnant :)

2009-12-21 - Liz went back to USA

[K1 visa]

2010-01-14 - Sent I-129F

2010-05-26 - Interview and visa in Passport

2010-05-29 - Entered USA

2010-06-30 - Leonardo came into our lives :D

2010-07-11 - Got married

2010-07-14 - Got SSN

[AOS - EAD]

2010-07-31 - Sent I-485 and I-765

2010-08-09 - Files Received

2010-10-01 - Bio. appt.

2010-10-01 - EAD approved and sent in production

2010-10-12 - EAD received

2010-11-19 - Got DL

2010-12-02 - Interview APPROVED!

2010-12-13 - Green Card Received

age.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello everybody!!!

Thank you in advance.

God bless

You don't need the SSN to get married apply for it after

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hello everybody!!!

Thank you in advance.

God bless

You don't need a SSN in order to get married. Uusally 1 week to 10 days to receive the SSN card after visiting the SS Office.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've read other places that you don't need the SSN to get married only to get the marriage licence (Colorado you don't need it at all). That being said I just applied for my SSN and they gave me a receipt and said I"ll receive it within 2 weeks.

Brandi

K-3 Visa Interview Date : 2009-10-19 Approved POE: 2009-10-28 Emerson ND

See time-line or Profile for more info

EAD

2010-06-07: Date Filed

2010-10-16: EAD in hand!

2010-10-23: SSN Received in normal post!!

AoS- Chicago Lock Box

2010-10-18(Day 1): Mailed again :)

2011-03-17(Day 159): Interview - Review file response

2011-03-18(Day 160): Card production email/text for Green Card!

2011-03-21(Day 163): Welcome to USA letter received

2011-03-22(Day 164): Another text for card production! Start printing GC?

2011-03-23(Day 165): Text/email moving into post decision activity! Mail GC?

2011-03-26(Day 168): GC in hand and done for 3-10 years depending on the citizenship decision...Still unsure!

N400 - Dallas Lock box

2017-02-13(Day 1): Finally made the decision to apply for citizenship. Package went in mail

2017-02-16(Day 4): 1st NOA "went background checks are complete interview will be scheduled" no mention of Biometrics

2017-03-03(Day 15) Biometrics letter arrives scheduled for 2017-03-13 Might try a walk in earlier

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I got my SSN a 10 days after moving and they didn't have any trouble issuing it. I got it in my name first, and then after we got married I had a name change done. I don't think it was necessary to get the SSN before getting married, I guess I just like to complicate things, but I think in some states they will need your SSN before issuing a mariage license. I got my card a week or so after applying for it.

For our detailed K-1, AOS and ROC journey, see the "about me" page on our profile!

Timeline

You can also go to the SSN office to apply for the card (after 2 weeks). Make sure when applying that you answer question #5 that you are a "legal alien ALLOWED to work" or else you may not get a card. You can go back into the office the next day and they will tell you what your number will be, so if you do need a SSN, you will at least have the number.

Timeline

You can also go to the SSN office to apply for the card (after 2 weeks). Make sure when applying that you answer question #5 that you are a "legal alien ALLOWED to work" or else you may not get a card. You can go back into the office the next day and they will tell you what your number will be, so if you do need a SSN, you will at least have the number.

Hiiii:) Thank you for your reply. But I'm not allowed to work till I receive my EAD right? So if the SSN comes before the AOS i guess i will have to reply no to that question.

Thank you again

Thank you everybody for your replies so far. I will investigate if SSN is needed in Ohio in order to get married though

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

what is the best case scenario for K-1 holder?

arrive in US, get married, adjust the status (with obtaining working permit) and THEN apply for SSN or get SSN and then file for adjusting the status?

Forms for AOS have special fields for SSN...

We will marry on Monday, and still i have no SSN and it is not required to have for marriage certificate in California...

I m a little bil lost in next steps

My timeline is current and updated

Timeline

Hiiii:) Thank you for your reply. But I'm not allowed to work till I receive my EAD right? So if the SSN comes before the AOS i guess i will have to reply no to that question.

Thank you again

Thank you everybody for your replies so far. I will investigate if SSN is needed in Ohio in order to get married though

You are correct you have to wait for your EAD to legally work, but when filling out the SSN application you need to check the box that you are able to work even if you have not applied for AOS. There are some types of visa's that you are never allowed to work, but need a SSN for other things than work, that is the case where you would select the not able to work. I think with the K-1 it is implied that you will be adjusting status and will legally be able to work at some point. When you receive your first card there will be a note on it "not valid for employment without DHS authorization" (not sure if that is the exact wording). Once you get your EAD or GC you can go into the SSN office and get a new card with that notation removed.

Timeline

You are correct you have to wait for your EAD to legally work, but when filling out the SSN application you need to check the box that you are able to work even if you have not applied for AOS. There are some types of visa's that you are never allowed to work, but need a SSN for other things than work, that is the case where you would select the not able to work. I think with the K-1 it is implied that you will be adjusting status and will legally be able to work at some point. When you receive your first card there will be a note on it "not valid for employment without DHS authorization" (not sure if that is the exact wording). Once you get your EAD or GC you can go into the SSN office and get a new card with that notation removed.

Oooh, ok i see. Thank you for that, I didn't read nothing regarding it :). I will keep it in mind! thank you again

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Filed: Timeline

Make sure when applying that you answer question #5 that you are a "legal alien ALLOWED to work" or else you may not get a card.

Do not sweat over the questions on the SS-5, the form is not needed. They will enter everything into the computer based on the evidence you provide and the questions they ask. They should give you a printout of what they have entered to review.

The only time the SS-5 is required is when an application is mailed in or taken into the office by someone other than the applicant. If you take an SS-5 when you apply they might copy some of they info off it, but it's going in the trash when they are done.

RM 10205.175 Applicant’s Electronic Signature for an Application for an SSN Card Processed in SSNAP:

https://secure.ssa.g.../lnx/0110205175

RM 10205.170 Applicant’s Signature for an Application for an SSN Card:

https://secure.ssa.g.../lnx/0110205170

Edited by I Quit

Timeline

Do not sweat over the questions on the SS-5, the form is not needed. They will enter everything into the computer based on the evidence you provide and the questions they ask. They should give you a printout of what they have entered to review.

The only time the SS-5 is required is when an application is mailed in or taken into the office by someone other than the applicant. If you take an SS-5 when you apply they might copy some of they info off it, but it's going in the trash when they are done.

RM 10205.175 Applicant’s Electronic Signature for an Application for an SSN Card Processed in SSNAP:

https://secure.ssa.g.../lnx/0110205175

RM 10205.170 Applicant’s Signature for an Application for an SSN Card:

https://secure.ssa.g.../lnx/0110205170

Oh good! Yup better like that then :) Thank youuuu

Filed: Timeline

Yup better like that then

Yes and no. Say like in your case, they don't let you review everything before the application is cleared and your birth date is entered wrong. You probably aren't going to notice until you try you file taxes electronically and IRS bounces you due to your DOB not matching the record they got from SSA. If you aren't a U.S. citizen it's not that big of a deal to correct. You just take in immigration document, passport and your birth certificate and they can fix it. However, if you are a U.S. citizen, they have the verify the birth certificate as being legit before the record can be corrected. That can take a while, especially if you have moved to another state since you were born. However, when they kept paper copies, a microprint of the application could be requested and if you had put the right DOB on the application, the SSN record could be fixed without an application being submitted.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.