BlueBubbles

Can't get a state ID!! Please Help!

13 posts in this topic

Hello guys

I am the beneficiary, and today my fiance and I went to the DPS in order for me to get an ID state, but the lady we spoke to, told us that it will not be possible since my I-94 would need to have a validity of 1 year.

I came to the US on Oct 04 2010, and my I-94 will expire on Jan 02, 2011.

So what can I do?? Do I need to wait until I get a GC as the lady said? or try it with the NOA1 of AOS? Do i have any other option?

By the way, yesterday we went to get my SSN, they said they will send it in 2 weeks, even though we didn't have to fill any form as I read in the guides.

We live in Texas. and we are getting married next week.

Am i missing something?

Please visajourney experts help me. Thank you so much for your time and advice!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline

From my understanding you won't be able to get a state id until you're "lawfully" a state resident which again from my understanding is once you adjust status and receive your conditional green card. Why are you trying to get it now? Your passport should be enough to prove identity for the time being. Maybe we can help you a bit better if the reason you feel you need it right now is known.

tumblr_l2zffoq44C1qc5x0yo1_400.jpg

My honey is NIGERIAN and I'm AMERICAN

K1 Journey

07/27/10 Mailed Petition

07/28/10 Petition received at VSC then forwarded to Lewisville, TX (received there 7/29/10)

08/02/10 NOA1 Notice date

08/06/10 Touched

08/07/10 Received NOA1 in mail

08/10/10 Touched

10/03/10 Touched

01/31/11 I-129F Petition APPROVED!!!

02/03/11 Received hard copy of NOA2 (although the envelope is stamped Feb 2...so only one day to get to me :) )

02/07/11 Arrived at NVC

02/07/11 MADE APPOINTMENTS FOR MEDICAL AND INTERVIEW. (Will post actual dates after they occur :) )

02/08/11 Left NVC

02/17/11 Medical

03/01/11 Interview (FH is in AP)

04/12/11 AP COMPLETED!!

04/13/11 FH notified to come to the embassy with his passport!

04/26/11 FH received Visa

04/29/11 FH Arrived in the US!!! JFK POE

06/08/11 MARRIED!

I would go again and talk with a different employee but from what I have read about TX, you'll have to wait for your GC.

In MI they don't seem to care, my wife's I94 expires in Nov but they gave her a 3 yr license.

Filed: Timeline

I would go again and talk with a different employee but from what I have read about TX, you'll have to wait for your GC.

I wouldn't go and try again because the rules in the link are quite clear.

In MI they don't seem to care, my wife's I94 expires in Nov but they gave her a 3 yr license.

She must have met the MI State requirements. They are quite different than Texas.

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

Leave your passport at home. A passport is for international travel. There is no law in the US that would require you to carry your passport with you.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Leave your passport at home. A passport is for international travel. There is no law in the US that would require you to carry your passport with you.
Perhaps other than the various states' "failure to identify" laws, if the individual has no other form of ID. Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

I am 100% positive you can get an ID or Texas drivers license with your EAD card, but not with AOS filing proof. The law changed Oct 1, 2008. I communicated all the way to the top in Austin to clarify the rules that were new when we were doing this. An EAD card will get you a license or ID marked temporary visitor. There's more clarity since we sorted this out and more information has been published http://www.txdps.sta...StatusChart.pdf

And here's something I posted a few days ago in reply to another thread that will help explain it.

Concerning the issuance of driving licenses to K1s--- You are in a tiny minority and will go through a limbo phase where you feel like you're a "nothing" because most of the rules are for other visas, etc. Rules in most states have changed due to pressure from the federal government and Homeland Security because of illegal immigration crackdowns. I will speak for Texas because of newspaper articles I read when the changes occurred (same day my fiance entered.) The principle is the same.

Texas was issuing 6 year licenses with any proper identification of legal entry into the US. If you had a valid anything, you'd get a 6 year license. Once you've got a driver's license to show for ID, you appear as "legal" as any native born. People were coming from all over to get a TX DL because other states had already amended their rules.

Now most states will issue a license only for the period of legal presence in the US. Getting a DL with an EAD card will give you a DL that expires in one year (date on EAD card.) If you had 7 months left on another visa, you could get a license that would expire in 7 months. A K1 get's 90 days and in most states that isn't considered long enough to bother giving a license. A minimum of 1 year legality is more the norm, which is why an EAD card works. Expect to go back and pay again for full length license if you get one on the EAD. That might be just a month after getting EAD. It makes sense how it is set up if you consider homeland security and attempts to limit ways that illegal immigrants can appear legal.

I will also give you a head's up if you move and need to change your address, even as a green card holder. The USC can do the change online and get a new DL in the mail. The GC holder will have to go in person to a DPS office and prove their legal presence all over again. Yep, been there, done that, spent the 2-3 hour wait to change an address. Seems like if they gave you a 6 year license, they would know you passed the "legal" test and change your address without extending the date of the license. Per an e-mail from Austin, "we don't note that information in our records."

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Other Timeline

Perhaps other than the various states' "failure to identify" laws, if the individual has no other form of ID.

You have to identify yourself, that's true. If you are walking down the street and a cop approaches you, you are required to identify yourself. True. You do that by saying: I'm am John Doe, I live in Dream Town. Anything else I can help you with, officer?

For the same reason we just recently had this uproar regarding Arizona's 1077 bill. There is no law requiring anybody to carry ID with them. The law just requires people to identify themselves once being asked so by law enforcement. People were complaining assuming that from now on they would have to carry ID with them, as it's specifically required of Green Card holders. Not the case, not even if 1077 had passed. The verbal statement "I'm a US citizen" would have been enough.

(Don't mix this up with the requirement to carry a valid driver license when operating a vehicle. That's a totally different thing.)

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hello guys

I am the beneficiary, and today my fiance and I went to the DPS in order for me to get an ID state, but the lady we spoke to, told us that it will not be possible since my I-94 would need to have a validity of 1 year.

I came to the US on Oct 04 2010, and my I-94 will expire on Jan 02, 2011.

So what can I do?? Do I need to wait until I get a GC as the lady said? or try it with the NOA1 of AOS? Do i have any other option?

By the way, yesterday we went to get my SSN, they said they will send it in 2 weeks, even though we didn't have to fill any form as I read in the guides.

We live in Texas. and we are getting married next week.

Am i missing something?

Please visajourney experts help me. Thank you so much for your time and advice!!

I'm from Minnesota, but the laws are similar to Texas and we had the same problem. I believe you have to prove that you are a legal resident for a minimum about of time, either 6 or 12 months before they will issue you an I.D. We married immediately and then applied for AOS and a social security card. After the social security card arrived I had my wife added to my checking account and made her an authorized signer on my credit card. We wanted the I.D. for writing checks, credit card, etc. We went to the local Dept. of Motors Vehicles office and filled out an application for an I.D. using her Social Security Card and passport. However, we soon got a letter back from the state saying she would be unable to get an I.D. because her I-94 was good for only 90 days. I called the office and they told me I could come in and make an appeal. When I got there they gave me the 6 month - one year spiel (I forget what time frame) and that the I-94 was only good for 90 days and that my wife would need a green card or EAD. I pulled out the Advance Parole Notice we had just received and showed them that it was good for a year. They decided to accept this as proof. Of course, the EAD came in the mail about 3 weeks later so we didn't really buy much time.

10-17-2006. I-129F filed.

10-19-2006. NOA1

01-25-2007. NOA2

02-12-2007. NVC notification saying petition is approved.

05-11-2007. Packet 3 received.

05-14-2007. Packet 3 forms sent.

06-16-2007. Packet 4 received.

07-03-2007. Medical examination.

07-10-2007. Interview. Passed!!!!

07-12-2007. Received visa.

07-18-2007. Applied for Marriage License.

08-04-2007. Fan arrives in the United States.

08-08-2007. Married.

08-24-2007. Applications for AOS, EAD, and Advance Parole.

08-30-2007. NOA for AOS.

09-07-2007. Applied for SSN.

09-18-2007. NOA for EAD and Advance Parole.

09-20-2007. Received SS card.

10-05-2007. Received appointment date for biometrics.

10-23-2007. Received Advance Parole.

11-02-2007. Biometrics.

11-06-2007. AOS transfered to CSC.

11-07-2007. EAD approved.

11-16-2007. EAD card received.

12-06-2007. AOS approved.

12-14-2007. Green Card Received in mail.

09-05-2009. I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence sent.

09-16-2009. NOA and biometrics appointment received.

10-13-2009. Biometrics.

10-26-2009. USCIS email. Approved. Card production ordered.

10-29-2009. Approval notice, dated 10-26, arrives in mail.

11-02-2009. Green Card arrives in mail.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.