Fan and I are both in our mid to late 50's. We met over the internet in May of 2006 and quickly discovered that we had much in common. After the relationship began to grow we decided we needed to meet in person as we both still had questions in the back of our minds about each other. I traveled to China in September of 2006 and we discovered our personalities were very much alike. It wasn't until after we met that we began to consider marriage. We decided to apply for a K1 visa. Our time line looks something like this . . .
1. May 2006 - Met online.
2. Late July 2006 - Decided we needed to meet in person.
3. Sept. 1 - 11, 2006 - Visited Fan in Nanning Guangxi China
4. Sept. 8, 2006 - Considering marriage. Decided to apply for a K1 visa upon my return to the United States. About 95% certain we want to marry. Applying now will save time if we decide to marry.
5. Sept. 28, 2006 - Start communicating live via Yahoo Messenger rather than email.
6. Sept. 30, 2006 - Start the process of gathering the documents.
7. Oct. 17, 2006 - Sent in I-129F and other paperwork.
8. Oct. 19, 2006 - Date USCIS reported receiving I-129F.
9. Oct. 21, 2006 - The process of gathering the documents and the live messaging has brought us closer together. Fan and I announce to our family and friends that we will marry.
10. January 25, 2007 - Approval by USCIS.
11. Feb. 12, 2007 - Date on approval letter from NVC.
12. ???? Received by Consulate in Guangzhou. Things have really fallen apart since the petition was sent here. We used the Consulate's email form to inquire if they received the petition. The response was that we needed to mail or fax our question. We did both, but never received a response. You can't call unless you set up a telephone account with them and pay in advance. We finally did this after receiving no response to fax or email. Called on May 8 and told the petition was received, but were not told when.
13. May 11, 2007 - Fan received packet 3.
14. May 14, 2007 - Fan completes application. Rather than mailing it she will deliver it in person as she is traveling to Guangzhou on the 15th.
15. May 16, 2007 - Application delivered in person to Consulate.
16. June 16, 2007 - Fan receives Packet 4.
17. July 10, 2007 - Date of interview. Passed!!!
18. July 12, 2007 - Picked up visa.
19. July 18, 2007 - Applied for Marriage License.
20. August 4, 2007 - Fan arrives in the United States.
21. August 8, 2007 - Married.