OneLove <3

black ink or blue ink does it really matter??

37 posts in this topic

Hi all!

I am in the process of starting the I-129F petition and want to know if signing all paperwork in black ink is not a good thing?? In my cover letter I do however, state that all black ink signatures are originals.

Please help I'm a bit PARANOID!!! Thanks!

Check out my "About Me" tab on my profile to learn about my detailed timeline with the K-1 Visa and AOS process....

Live life, Laugh lots, Love forever.....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I know several situations in which documents have been returned because the person checking them thought the signatures were fake. But then I've also seen people with absolutely no issues. It's just luck of the draw.

The problem is, even writing in your cover letter "all black signatures are original" is a bit too broad. When you send in a copy of your birth certificate for example, the photocopied signatures on that aren't original. Neither are any of the other photocopied forms you're sending in.

In my opinion omit the line in the cover letter about the signatures being originals because it simply isn't true that ALL signatures in black are originals. You can just leave the sigs in black if you've already got your packet together and just hope the person can see the indents from you signing. Or you can reprint the forms and re-sign in blue.

Up to you. In regards to USCIS, they don't care. Just matters if they think it's an original or a photocopy.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
I have signed USCIS forms with whatever ink was near by... black, blue and red... no issues to report

Never ever use red pen on official documents. You might not have had issues but you are very lucky. Red is considered an "official" colour and in that same vein, USCIS use it while processing your stuff most of the time too (all my K1 stuff was smothered in red pen).

Blue or black, only acceptable colours. Blue for signatures (that's my preference, black is also technically acceptable), black for completing the forms.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Never ever use red pen on official documents. You might not have had issues but you are very lucky. Red is considered an "official" colour and in that same vein, USCIS use it while processing your stuff most of the time too (all my K1 stuff was smothered in red pen).

Blue or black, only acceptable colours. Blue for signatures (that's my preference, black is also technically acceptable), black for completing the forms.

You might be correct... at work we switched everyone over to purple to avoid any conflict with documents coming in with red

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I signed all my stuff in black because I was already filling all my forms out with a black pen. As if I was really going to rummage through my drawer to find ANOTHER pen when the one I was already writing with would do just fine?! No thanks. If I get a freakin RFE for my black ink signatures I swear I'll poke my own eyes out.

They are TOO PICKY!! :bonk:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi all!

I am in the process of starting the I-129F petition and want to know if signing all paperwork in black ink is not a good thing?? In my cover letter I do however, state that all black ink signatures are originals.

Please help I'm a bit PARANOID!!! Thanks!

Black pen is fine we did all ours in black and you should only use black for official documents, have been told that many times by bank officials and solicitors

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

thanks everyone!! I'm sticking to the black.

Check out my "About Me" tab on my profile to learn about my detailed timeline with the K-1 Visa and AOS process....

Live life, Laugh lots, Love forever.....

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

ok question,IF they find a problem with the ink,will they return the case before the first notice of action OR send an RFE?

Timeline

ok question,IF they find a problem with the ink,will they return the case before the first notice of action OR send an RFE?

It probably depends. If the whole petition was written in red ink and they didn't like that, they might send it back. If it was only the signatures that they were unsure about, they would probably just RFE you.

I dunno for sure though, thats just my common sense opinion. :)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

It probably depends. If the whole petition was written in red ink and they didn't like that, they might send it back. If it was only the signatures that they were unsure about, they would probably just RFE you.

I dunno for sure though, thats just my common sense opinion. :)

because we sent everything in black,and there was no problem with it for the first notice of action,i just dont wanna get a completely random RFE after all this time,waiting.:ranting:

thanks tho

Timeline

because we sent everything in black,and there was no problem with it for the first notice of action,i just dont wanna get a completely random RFE after all this time,waiting.:ranting:

thanks tho

I wouldn't stress about it. It sounds like lots of people fill out everything in black and then sign in black as well. That's what I did. I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

We were careful to sign all the stuff in the I-129F packet in blue. Then I made the two copies of everything, in colour, and found for some pages it was hard to tell the difference. After that we made sure to put a few pieces of paper underneath anything that needed an original signature (instead of signing on a hard surface), because it seemed the indent in the paper would be a truer indication of an original signature than the colour of the ink.

~ Long version of K-1 timeline in profile "About Me" ~

November 2007 - Met on Tortus server of Rappelz

3 October 2009 - Met IRL

13 November 2010 - POE Lewiston NY

28 November 2010 - Married!

23 December 2010 - Filed for AOS/EAD/AP

31 January 2011 - walk-in Biometrics

04 March 2011 - Green Card Production ordered - no interview

05 December 2012 - Mailed I-751

VJsig.png

As the saying goes, take it from the voice of experience. We filled out the I-129F with whatever was handy, a black or blue pen. Turns out signatures were mixed colors some black some blue.

Upshot was when I sent in the package to USCIS the whole thing came back to me a week later and told me signatures were photocopy not originals (the ones in black) and I had to write a letter saying NO they were originals in black ink. So that cost us about another 12 days in processing and an RFE.

They did accept it when I sent it back with cover letter saying they WERE original black signatures. But it was a 12 day delay in processing our I-129F.

So I learned, use blue ink at least for all signatures, fill out the rest in black is fine, but use BLUE INK for all signatures is my experience.

And for what it's worth we did make it through the interview and approval, and the signatures in black ink on the orginial petition were never questioned again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.