Saddle Bronc

India decides on Russia as source for 5G-stealth fighters

46 posts in this topic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11492777

India to buy advanced fighter jets from Russia

2010/10/07 08:29 ET

_49407536_49407535.jpg

The deal has been announced by the Indian Defence Minister AK Antony

India will buy 250 to 300 advanced fifth-generation stealth fighter jets from Russia over the next 10 years, Defence Minister AK Antony has said.

Fifth-generation aircraft are invisible to radar, have advanced flight and weapons control systems and can cruise at supersonic speeds, officials say.

Mr Antony told a news conference in the Indian capital, Delhi, that Russia would also supply 45 transport planes.

India is a top buyer of Russian weapons and the two countries have strong ties.

"We have a 10-year programme and it is quite challenging (but) we have very good experience in military co-operation," news agency AFP quoted Russian Defence Minister Anatoly Serdyukov as saying at the conference.

The deal, which could be worth up to $30bn, is believed to be the richest in India's military history.

The agreement is expected to be signed when Russian President Dmitry Medvedev visits India in December, officials say.

This is potentially a huge deal, which could dramatically increase India's military capabilities, the BBC's defence and security correspondent Nick Childs says.

The two sides have been in talks for some time.

The fifth-generation stealth fighter is currently being developed in Russia and the prototype flew for the first time earlier this year.

At the moment the United States is the only country that has a fifth-generation stealth fighter actually in service.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
India will buy 250 to 300 advanced fifth-generation stealth fighter jets from Russia over the next 10 years, Defence Minister AK Antony has said.

India is a top buyer of Russian weapons and the two countries have strong ties.

At the moment the United States is the only country that has a fifth-generation stealth fighter actually in service.

Russian arms sales to India have been commonplace for decades but I didn't know other nations were fielding their own stealth aircraft. Naturally Pakistan will demand the U.S. sell them stealth planes but I doubt that will happen in the near future.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

The Sukhoi PAK FA looks like an awesome jet. Russians developed that for $10 billion, versus the $362 billion for the F35 and still counting. That private sector hey, just so efficient. Convenient cost overruns and private contractors, basically siphoning of money to the private sector, seems to be the new norm here.

Anyone heard of any Repub discuss this? Anyone?

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The Sukhoi PAK FA looks like an awesome jet. Russians developed that for $10 billion, versus the $362 billion for the F35 and still counting. That private sector hey, just so efficient. Convenient cost overruns and private contractors, basically siphoning of money to the private sector, seems to be the new norm here.

WOW, such concern for American arms manufacturers from Heracles. Who would have guessed?

Russian workers make like $200 per month. 60 hours a week. How are you with that? In moscow, maybe more, but they do not build planes in Moscow, they build them where they get workers for $200 per month. I see you are OK with illegrants making that much to avoid the minimum wage you also "support". Russia also has no EPA, no OSHA (to speak of, they do but they can be bribed really easy and cheap) no Social Security (see BY's charts) Free, nonexistant, medical care and all sorts of other benefits for business I am sure you want to see implemented here. Right? No minimum wage? Or is it just for illegrants you want no minimum wage?

Our equipment has repeatedly knocked the bejeezus out of Russia's equipment any time the two have been "tested" together. Russia couldn't sell a military can opener for a few years after the first Gulf War. Too many photos of Russian tanks, or I should say "remains of Russian tanks" in the news. One could blame it on poor training and assume the Indians will do a lot better if faced with the challenge that the Iraqi's were. What do you think?

On the other hand, competition is good for business and Ladas and Volgas never had much impact on the sale of Mercedes and BMW. I'm not worried for our arms makers, are you? And it certainly is not causing me any loss of sleep that India has chosen a Russian stealth fighter to equip their air force. You ?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Good to see you dodge the point yet again. Development costs have little to do with workers pay, nice try to though.

Only you would consider $362 billion spent by the private sector designing a jet, still having issues, to be efficient; yet scold anything government like the USPS for losing $3 billion - in a depressed economy.

Funny you should mention BMW and Mercedes, as they are designed and owned by countries with diametrically opposite systems of government or ideologies to that of liberteapartians.

Edited by Heracles

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Timeline

I will also note a couple of thiongs for Heracles benefit...

Former FSU countries', products within the FSU are considered garbage. But they are cheap. People spend a huge percentage of their income and even save all year to buy a winter coat or boots NOT made Russia/Ukraine/Belarus. The product quality is a little better that during the SU, but not a lot. Winter coats and boots from foreign sources cost more than a months pay EACH. Try to imagine a months pay for a coat or a pair of boots. But buying Russian boots with a WEEK's salary is a complete waste of money!

The absolute hottest items Alla can bring back to Ukraine are foreign made clothes bought for a fraction of the cost here ("almost free") she says. She is like a "Hero of the Soviet Union" when she returns with suitcases full of coats, shoes, lightweight long underwear, hats, gloves, etc. Sergey's Russian girlfriend could not wait for him to return for school with all his gifts for her. WOW, what a guy! he has access to cheap and good US clothes and shoes and jelewry. And he bought it by getting rich working at McDonalds for $8.06 per HOUR! WOW! That's like almost a DAYS pay! Russian stuff is JUNK. Lada and Volga cars are the bottom of the barrel "Avtovas", makers of Lada and Volga, the government owned auto maker, employ 130,000 workers to make 100,000 cars per year!) American, European and Japanese cars dominate, about like here but you see more Euro models than here and less Japanese and American. "Jeep" is the HOT American car! The most coveted of all jobs with in the FSU was foreign assignments since you could smuggle back foreign (good) products in your diplomatic luggage. One could get relatively rich bringing in jeans and coats...no kidding. Even now, being able to travel outside the FSU, between visa complications and expense, is still a HOT job to land for the fringe benefits of cheap but good foregin products. I always wondered WHY in Ukraine so many stores had French names or English names or products on shelves had French or English lables. Imagine going into Walgreens here and all the products are printed in Russian! Why was it like that, why IS it like that? because "foreign" products are considered "good". Domestic products are considered JUNK. If your shop has a French or Italian name...wooo hooo! MUST BE THE GOOD STUFF! If the labels are French..."oooooh la la!" Never mind they can't read it, must be good, it isn't Russian or Ukrainian!

At the airport, everyone hopes their flight will be on an Airbus or Boeing plane, please NOT the Tupelov! NO!

the Indians went low budget. Bargain basement Stealth fighters....OH YEAH!!!!!!! Sign me up for some of those cheap Russian parachutes too!

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

That's it - time to close the call centers. F*&(* this trade war.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Good to see you dodge the point yet again. Development costs have little to do with workers pay, nice try to though.

Only you would consider $362 billion spent by the private sector designing a jet, still having issues, to be efficient; yet scold anything government like the USPS for losing $3 billion - in a depressed economy.

Funny you should mention BMW and Mercedes, as they are designed and owned by countries with diametrically opposite systems of government or ideologies to that of liberteapartians.

I never scolded the USPS. Ever. I lived in Ukraine. I will NEVER scold the USPS for actually deliverying a letter for 44 cents. EVER. I have waited on lines in Ukraine...and waited and waited and waited (government offices) and will never complain about the basically non-existant lines at USPS.

One of the incredible things that people find here when they move from the Soviet Union is that we will actually send a check in th mail, credit cards come in the mail, all this IMPORTANT stuff gets done by the mail. Never in the FSU, EVER. It will be stolen or the mailman will require you to pay him a bribe to get it. I never complain about the USPS. they can double the price and it woul dbe still cheap, because it works.

They would od better if the government bugged out though.

Russian stuff is junk. I do not excuse abuse of development costs but try to imagine that not ALL the difference is because of corruption. Our stuff works, whether it is a pair of boots or a stealth fighter. We have proof. Thousands of Russian tanks in ashes, every bridge in Serbia dropped into the river, bombs winging in through windows without touching the window frame...oh yeah, we are THAT good. Russians have a failed empire, mechanical trash piled in junk yards all over the world and people that will do anything to get their hands on something THEY didn't make.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

they'll be stealthy alright - like most countries that have purchased russian made planes, they'll rarely fly - so they'll be very stealthy in the air. :lol:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Maybe Australia will by some of the Russian jets too. Of course I'm sure they could design one on their own ten times better for half the price.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Timeline

Maybe Australia will by some of the Russian jets too. Of course I'm sure they could design one on their own ten times better for half the price.

:rofl:

Aussie stealth fighters. It even sounds funny.

Gary And Alla

But they're a peaceful people so they don't need a military. Everyone is quite happy there and has a high quality of life. They find happiness by telling everyone how happy they are and how much better they are than the rest of the world. Unfortunately, the rest of the world doesn't pay any attention to them.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

I'd like to know how man liberteapartians design stuff - anything.

Trolling again I see.

Not at all. I posted it before you did.

The thread has nothing to do with AUS, so yes you are trolling.