28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I have a question regarding WIC. My husband and I are expecting our first baby, however my husband is still out of work. I'm working which can support us but it would be nice to have some more help. My question is I know I can't apply for WIC for me as that would mean I would be on Welfare and as the terms of the visa that wouldn't be right. But what about the baby when he/she is born. I'm thinking because the baby would be a USC that he/she should be eligible for WIC? Can someone clarify for me if this would be right?

Thanks

I have a question regarding WIC. My husband and I are expecting our first baby, however my husband is still out of work. I'm working which can support us but it would be nice to have some more help. My question is I know I can't apply for WIC for me as that would mean I would be on Welfare and as the terms of the visa that wouldn't be right. But what about the baby when he/she is born. I'm thinking because the baby would be a USC that he/she should be eligible for WIC? Can someone clarify for me if this would be right?

Thanks

Were out of money you should apply soon!

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

The whole I-864 sponsorship thing does NOT mean that you can never apply for any kind of "welfare". It means that agencies have the option of considering your sponsor's income/assets when they assess your need for a benefit.

In general, programs which give emergency/short-term health care, food benefits, energy benefits, these are not considered an indication that you have become a public charge. It is only cash benefits which supplement income that you can't get. (Just google "wic uscis" or "wic immigrant".) Read this for example: http://www.hooyou.com/i-485/publiccharge.html

If you are ever worried that you may not be eligible for something, go to the relevant agency and tell them your circumstances. Tell them you are a permanent resident, sponsored by your husband (and co-sponsor if applicable). If you are not eligible, they will tell you!

And, USCIS won't be very happy if you have bad nutrition whilst pregnant and your American baby's gestation is negatively affected by that!

Benefits such as WIC help avoid the need for on-going cash assistance for income maintenance. (The latter which would indicate you might be a "public charge".)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

And, USCIS won't be very happy if you have bad nutrition whilst pregnant and your American baby's gestation is negatively affected by that!

Benefits such as WIC help avoid the need for on-going cash assistance for income maintenance. (The latter which would indicate you might be a "public charge".)

I believe this is correct.

If it was not said before you should be on WIC now whilest your pregnant; at least thatis how it used to work.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

WIC =/= welfare. :) I responded to you elsewhere, but in case that very temperamental bulletin board isn't working, here's the low down (and the USCIS reference) on a board that actually functions. ;)

Not all publicly funded benefits will be considered by the INS or the State Department in deciding whether someone is or is likely to become a public charge. The focus of public charge is on cash benefits for income maintenance and institutionalization for long-term care at government expense. Examples of benefits that will not be considered for public charge purposes include:

• Medicaid and other health insurance and health services (including public assistance for immunizations and for testing and treatment of symptoms of communicable diseases; use of health clinics, prenatal care, etc.) other than support for institutionalization for long-term care

• Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)

• Nutrition programs, including Food Stamps, the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC), the National School Lunch and Breakfast programs, and other supplementary and emergency food assistance programs

• Housing assistance

• Child care services

Taken from http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/public_cqa.pdf

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jordan
Timeline

My husband was laid off the day our son was born and I had to temporarily get on WIC for about a month or two until he worked again. It didnt affect our ROC or anything else

img_0169.jpgimg_0192.jpg

qo5Tm6.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

*sigh*

I don't mean this to sound rude, but people should not get knocked up and expect others to take care of their children. If yuo cannot afford a child or need 'help/assitance' don't get pregnant in the frist place.

This is part of the problem with our society today is too much damn dependence on others.

Take responsibility.

*sigh* Yea, I would say you sound rude.

Meriem

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I guess its hard to "plan" for an unexpected layoff...What a d*ck

You shouldn't expect much from Paul, he's the guy who suggests the death penalty for illegal immigrants and eugenics as a means to control population.....

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I guess its hard to "plan" for an unexpected layoff...What a d*ck

Not really. If you have proper savings set aside before getting pregnant, then things like this would be a non-issue. You should always expect a layoff unless you're under a for sure guaranteed contract.

As I said, it may sound rude, but at the same time it's not. It's a matter of pure personal responsibility.

It irks the hell out of me when people become pregnant who need/ask for assistance/place their burden on society.

Unless you can for sure afford a child and all of the expenses that comes with it, you should not be having one.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Not really. If you have proper savings set aside before getting pregnant, then things like this would be a non-issue. You should always expect a layoff unless you're under a for sure guaranteed contract.

As I said, it may sound rude, but at the same time it's not. It's a matter of pure personal responsibility.

It irks the hell out of me when people become pregnant who need/ask for assistance/place their burden on society.

Unless you can for sure afford a child and all of the expenses that comes with it, you should not be having one.

You seem to be missing the subtle art of tact. You didn't need to say that, but clearly, your inner arsehole couldn't resist.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

This topic should not be in the OT forum. The question is regarding WIC and eligibility as it relates to immigration status. To the OP, please ignore responses from posters who didn't understand the question and went off on tangents.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.