28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Jenn I do apologize that I placed this post in the wrong section I didn't want to strike up a debate - but I guess some people can't hold their tongue!

Paul - Things happen in life that you can't change. Was it my husbands fault he got laid off - no was it my husbands fault the economy still sucks - no. I've never asked for anything before now. We actually do have savings saved but if used that to live off until he found work we'd be broke. It took me over a year to find a decent job.

Thanks to all the helpful responses! Gwenneh that's funny your on this site to thank you for responding and thank you for the link.

And Paul if the Goverment thought the way you do there wouldn't be any of these programs put in place. They are there for a reason for people to use if need be. Just shows how much you really care about people less fortunate than yourself.

Not really. If you have proper savings set aside before getting pregnant, then things like this would be a non-issue. You should always expect a layoff unless you're under a for sure guaranteed contract.

As I said, it may sound rude, but at the same time it's not. It's a matter of pure personal responsibility.

It irks the hell out of me when people become pregnant who need/ask for assistance/place their burden on society.

Unless you can for sure afford a child and all of the expenses that comes with it, you should not be having one.

I usually don't respond to these kind of things but here goes.

By your logic it would seem that if YOU are planing on having a child YOU have about $125,000 to $250,000 laying around that you are not using. This is just to make sure that if you lose your job and never find another on you will be able to provide for that child until they are age 18. But, oh wait. What about you and your wife and any other children that you might have. Maybe you should have about $1,000,000 of disposable cash laying around so that you and your loved ones don't become dependent on anyone. Life is unpredictable. Don't ever fault someone for having a child and then losing their job for no fault of their own.

just my two cents,

John

Not really. If you have proper savings set aside before getting pregnant, then things like this would be a non-issue. You should always expect a layoff unless you're under a for sure guaranteed contract.

As I said, it may sound rude, but at the same time it's not. It's a matter of pure personal responsibility.

It irks the hell out of me when people become pregnant who need/ask for assistance/place their burden on society.

Unless you can for sure afford a child and all of the expenses that comes with it, you should not be having one.

Can I borrow the crystal ball you so clearly have...I have had alot of unforseen circumstances happen in my life..it sure would come in handy!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I usually don't respond to these kind of things but here goes.

By your logic it would seem that if YOU are planing on having a child YOU have about $125,000 to $250,000 laying around that you are not using. This is just to make sure that if you lose your job and never find another on you will be able to provide for that child until they are age 18. But, oh wait. What about you and your wife and any other children that you might have. Maybe you should have about $1,000,000 of disposable cash laying around so that you and your loved ones don't become dependent on anyone. Life is unpredictable. Don't ever fault someone for having a child and then losing their job for no fault of their own.

just my two cents,

John

I fault anyone who is not prepared for "unforseen circumstances" when there's a child involved.

It's one thing to live paycheck to paycheck or on minimal savings if it's just you. It's a completely different beast when there's a child involved.

Losing your job should never be an issue when you have a child. You should have planned ahead and had several months worth of salary saved up before even considering having a child.

Having a child is an expensive venture and you should prepare yourself for that. You shouldn't rely on everyone else to bail you out if something happens. You should be ready. Period.

I know this social welfare thing has become the norm in the past 40 years and especially if you're from abroad, but it's gotten way out of hand. No one wants to look ahead and plan ahead anymore. They want everyone else to do it for them. It's sad.

I have enough respect for society, to never put myself in that situation. I'd expect the same out of everyone else. Of course expecting people to be responsible for their own actions is out of the question it would seem.

Can I borrow the crystal ball you so clearly have...I have had alot of unforseen circumstances happen in my life..it sure would come in handy!!!

You don't need a crystal ball to keep a solid savings account. If you can't, then you have no business bringing a child into this world.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Timeline

Paul I'll talk to you when something in your life happens that you have no control over! You can do everything right and be prepared as much as you think you can be and things happen beyond your control that you'll never have enough money for. That's just life.

Timeline

Thanks Jenn your so right.

Mods you can close this thread I got my answer thanks to everyone who gave me an answer.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Not cool. I think I'd rather see a mother & baby be on WIC than see on the news that another mom has abandoned their child in a dumpster or has "sold" their newborn because they couldn't support the baby on their own...

By the way, when my mom was a permanent resident, she got WIC for my sister to help out with baby formula... my step-dad was disabled from the military and his income significantly dropped. My mom was 100% honest with immigration about it too, and now she's a U.S. citizen, and works for the the Department of Human Services...

Also, I think it's different if you're using welfare as a stepping stone, than those who take advantage of it and depend on it day-by-day.....

Don't let anyone rain on your parade! Congrats on the baby :)

Day 1: 09/15/10 - Sent I-130, I-485, I-765, & I-102 via USPS

Day 2: 09/16/10 - Chicago Lockbox recieved package

Day 7: 09/22/10 - NOA1 for I-130, I-485, I-765

Day 12: 09/27/10 - I-130, I-485, I-765 TOUCHED

Day 14: 09/29/10 - NOA1 for I-102

Day 19: 10/04/10 - Received Biometrics appointment for 11/01/2010 in Naperville, IL

Day 35: 10/20/10 - I-102 application APPROVED

Day 38: 10/23/10 - Received I-102 approval letter and replacement I-94

Day 47: 11/01/10 - Biometrics done

Day 47: 11/01/10 - I-485 & I-765 TOUCHED

Day 50: 11/04/10 - Interview Notice for 12/16/10

Day 61: 11/15/10 - EAD Card Production Ordered (E-mail)

Day 64: 11/18/10 - EAD Card Production Ordered - 2nd order (E-mail)

Day 65: 11/19/10 - I-765 Notice of Approval Mailed (E-mail)

Day 68: 11/22/10 - Received EAD in the mail

Day 92: 12/16/10 - Interview APPROVED!!!

Day 92: 12/16/10 - Alien Registration Card Production Ordered (E-mail)

Day 96: 12/20/10 - Received "Welcome to the United States..." letter

Day 96: 12/20/10 - Received I-130 Approval letter

Day 98: 12/22/10 - Alien Registration Card Mailed (E-mail)

Day 103: 12/27/10 - Received Alien Registration Card!

Timeline

Thank you and I won't, we are both very excited!

Exactly there is a big difference in people using welfare or assistance to help out in a bad time financially in their life compared to someone who abuses the system.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.