SterlingGirl

Address has changed - do we need to do anything?

5 posts in this topic

We are about five or six months away from the beginning of the 90-day window within which we'll have to file our I-751. Two weeks ago, we moved into the new house we just bought, so we are no longer at the address where we filed all our other petitions and forms.

Do we have to formally notify USCIS that our address has changed, even if we're not currently sending or awaiting receipt of any forms or correspondence? Will the new address we write on the I-751 form be enough, or do we need to formally contact them and tell them the address is different? If so, how would we go about doing this?

December 22nd, 2008: Legally wed!

March 16th, 2009: AOS package posted via FedEx

March 18th, 2009: AOS package delivered, signed for by J. Chyba

March 24th, 2009: NOA1

March 25th, 2009: Check cashed

March 27th, 2009: NOA1 in hand

April 3rd, 2009: Case transferred to CSC (YES!)

April 9th, 2009: Biometrics

May 6th, 2009: EAD and AP approval notices sent

May 12th, 2009: AOS Touch

May 13th, 2009: AOS Touch, EAD received

June 18th, 2009: CRIS approval email, card production ordered - yes!

June 18th, 2009: Welcome notice mailed

June 22nd, 2009: Welcome notice received

July 2, 2009: Green card received!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

If you are a u.s. Citizen you are not required to notify uscis/immigration of your new address... This will come when you submit any applications to them.

Anyone who is a permanent resident MUST notify uscis within 10 days of the move which is part of the responsibility of the alien. This can be done online or sending in the completed form. The form is called AR-RR (Alien change of address). You will nit be notified that the case/address was updated but know that they'll do it

Hope this helped.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Yes.

As a sponsor you are legally obligated to change your address by filing an I-865.

As the LPR, you are legally required to change your address within 10 business days of the change.

The penalties are great if you are "discovered".

Here: https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=coa to read the info online.

USC spouse fills out an I-865 Change of Address form, and has to comply within 30 days of moving to the new address. I believe you can do this online...may want to check the USCIS website for confirmation.

Non-USC spouse has to fill out and mail an AR-11 Change of Address form within 10 days of moving to the new address. The spouse can download the form from USCIS.

Better if you get this done first to make sure USCIS has acknowledge your change in address before filing the I-151.

We are about five or six months away from the beginning of the 90-day window within which we'll have to file our I-751. Two weeks ago, we moved into the new house we just bought, so we are no longer at the address where we filed all our other petitions and forms.

Do we have to formally notify USCIS that our address has changed, even if we're not currently sending or awaiting receipt of any forms or correspondence? Will the new address we write on the I-751 form be enough, or do we need to formally contact them and tell them the address is different? If so, how would we go about doing this?

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

• 2 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We are in very similar circumstances, (9 mo away form 90 day window for filing to remove conditions of permanent residency), and due to resarch today, I know The conditional permanent resident can file her AR-11, change of address, either online where he or she can also let the USCIS office handling any pending, or reciently aproved petition, know of the address change, or via mailed in ar-11 form, and a call to USCIS Customer service, to cover the second part, and that I, as the US Citizen spouse must submit an I-865, to let USCIS know where the Sponsor is for the I-864, affidavit of support I filed for my wife along with the change of status, but, since there is little to no guidance on such matters, on the USCIS website, and I know from 22 years in the Navy, how easily a misplaced answer on a form can create serious problems, I do have a couple of questions about the logistics of filing the change of address:

1. If we moved to a place where our mail box is nearly 1/4 mile away from the house on a completely different street in a cluster of 5 mail boxes, on the other side of the street from the place where our road exits the street, plus the post office has reciently renamed our adress to list it on the road we live on, vice the old address on the major street it exits from, and so far no mail has ever arrived in that box, even for the previous owners/tennants, since the change, and we're now in Florida, having just moved from Kansas, Would it comply with USCIS intent, for us to use my sons address, which was established 15 years ago, about 10 miles away from our new home, where we visit every couple of days? Doing so would ensure we actually recieve mail sent by USCIS, where we may not if we give them the actual physical address we moved into. plus we already recieve all other mail at my sons house, where we put in a chasnge of address to when we left Kansas, having no other address to change our address to, at the time we left our old home.

2. on the first line of the AR-11 where it Says, "I am in the US as a:", should conditional permanent residents mark permanent resident and write conditional beside it, or mark other and write in conditional permanent resident, which actually will not fit in the blank? Im wondering what is normally done in this block for those about to seek a ten year green card, so that USCIS will see what they're expecting to see and know my wife is a conditional permanent resident, with less room for misinterpretastion.

3. Eventhough, we arent actually waiting for aproval of a case, all of our paperwork was last being handled at a different USCIS office for Kansas than we now must use for florida, and they had all our papers at the Wichita, Ks office when we went for the Change Of Status Interview, Would it be prudent, and or allowed for us to also let those two offices know of our change of address, eventhough we got the approval for the change of status and recieved her 2 year green card a year ago, since it seems to me were in essence continuing the same process, when we apply for the removal of conditions, and all the papework we submitted for previous applications will still be needed, and they may not be able to find it without letting those other offices know of the new address?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.