Bad_Daddy

Is Europe tiring of its immigrants?

121 posts in this topic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/gavinhewitt/2010/09/is_europe_tiring_of_its_immigr.html

Gavin Hewitt | 10:11 UK time, Monday, 20 September 2010

"I pity the poor immigrant who wishes he would've stayed at home," sang Bob Dylan. In many parts of Europe the welcome mat for immigrants is being withdrawn. Anti-immigrant parties are making considerable gains at the polls and influencing power.

The latest is the Sweden Democrats. With over 4% of the vote they passed the threshold to enter parliament and now have 20 seats and potentially hold the balance of power.

There was nothing coded about the campaign of the Sweden Democrats. In one advertisement they showed a white pensioner being edged aside by burka-clad mothers in the benefits queue. Their leader, Jimmie Akesson, described Islam as the biggest threat to Sweden since World War II. In his and his party's view, Islam is not compatible with Sweden's values. In a country famed for its tolerance the party has benefitted from a backlash against what is seen as liberal asylum laws.

Of course, the party's share of the vote was still small, and voters rated unemployment as a more important issue than immigration. It might be possible to dismiss the vote as a one-time protest - if it weren't for what is happening elsewhere in Europe.

In the Netherlands the anti-immigrant Freedom Party was the third largest in the June elections. Since then the country has been unable to form a stable government. Polls suggest that if an election was held now Geert Wilders, the leader of the Freedom Party, would do even better. He campaigned on shutting down Islamic schools and banning face veils.

In Italy, the Northern League - which is the fastest growing party - has embraced a tough new law enabling authorities to fine and imprison illegal immigrants.

In Austria, the anti-foreigner Freedom Party captured 17.5% of the vote two years ago and is now pushing in regional elections for a vote to ban minarets and Islamic veils.

In Germany the former member of the Bundesbank, Thilo Sarrazin, has attracted large audiences to hear him discuss his book Germany Doing Away with Itself. His main critique is directed at Islam.

"With no other religion," he writes, "is there such a fluid connection between violence, dictatorship and terrorism as there is with Islam." He goes on to argue that Muslim immigrants are "unwilling or incapable of integrating into Western society".

The German establishment has disowned him; the polls and his book sales suggest that many German people agree with him.

The French parliament has passed a law banning the burka and niqab. There is a debate about national identity, and President Sarkozy believes he has the majority of the people with him in expelling the Roma.

So what has brought about this mood? Firstly, there is the economy. There are fewer jobs. Fewer outsiders are needed. But the economic downturn provides only part of the answer. In both Germany and Sweden the economy is rebounding strongly.

There seems to be a growing fear about identity, of living in a fast-changing society where people's known world recedes.

Much of this new populism is built on questioning whether Muslims can ever successfully integrate into the West. If they can't, so the argument goes, then Europe risks developing into separate, parallel communities.

Many Muslims argue that they are barred from fully integrating into society, and so assert their own identity.

What is the political fall-out from this? Firstly, immigration is rising up the agenda as a political issue, and the European left is struggling to find a message on immigration.

Yesterday, in the Sunday Times of London, the Italian Professor Raffaele Simone was quoted as saying "what has damaged the left most, in recent years, is its silence on immigration".

This new populist movement should neither be exaggerated - but neither can it be ignored. At its root it raises fundamental questions about the type of society Europeans want to live in. These parties tap into a desire for new arrivals to become "European". They are often suspicious of EU officials whom they regard as elite and distant from the concerns of ordinary voters.

Hugo Brady of the Centre for Economic Reform said that "immigration has stepped into the post-Lehman Brothers world and the EU is probably seen by ordinary people as more part of the problem than the solution".

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Why is your post only talking about islam and muslim under title "Immigriants" I dont think they are the only immigrants there are immigrants of other religion and faith as well.

The problem with muslim and ppl who for islam is they are not willing to change with time, they want the best and top of the lifestyle for which they come to swet, but then they are not willing to live the lifestyle of west. They would immigrate and then start enforcing their way of lifestyle.

On top of it they never believe in anything like population control, I in europe based on family size I could say the family is muslim - 2 or 3 wives and 5-6 children.

One earning member so he is only paying tax on his income but in return is receiving benefits for anywhere 5-9 people, how can that be justified?

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Why is your post only talking about islam and muslim under title "Immigriants" I dont think they are the only immigrants there are immigrants of other religion and faith as well.

I think you answered your own question:

The problem with muslim and ppl who for islam is they are not willing to change with time, they want the best and top of the lifestyle for which they come to swet, but then they are not willing to live the lifestyle of west. They would immigrate and then start enforcing their way of lifestyle.

On top of it they never believe in anything like population control, I in europe based on family size I could say the family is muslim - 2 or 3 wives and 5-6 children.

One earning member so he is only paying tax on his income but in return is receiving benefits for anywhere 5-9 people, how can that be justified?

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My question was does the CO have some hidden agenda and is thus only refering tom muslim folks in the article?

So MAwilson my question never got answered ....yet.

Clearly the Muslim example is the most Glaring example of the downside to the Multi cultural experiment in the west.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Clearly the Muslim example is the most Glaring example of the downside to the Multi cultural experiment in the west.

Muslims in the US are disproportionately better educated and more prosperous than the average non-Muslim American, in some parts of "the west", we put you slackers to shame.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Muslims in the US are disproportionately better educated and more prosperous than the average non-Muslim American, in some parts of "the west", we put you slackers to shame.

In the US. What about Europe?

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Then why are they immigrating to the west ?

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Timeline

I thought this was about Europe?

But on to your point Stateside.

One element is for a new-comer to pull his or her own weight.

Another is to assimilate with the Host population.

How would you rate Muslims on both accounts? (Honest question)

William Penn

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

There's a lot to be said about Firstly, there is the economy. There are fewer jobs. Fewer outsiders are needed.

when looking at 10 year blocks o time, studying migration patterns for both LEGAL immigration and Illegal Immigration into Europe, comparing those patterns and counts to 'public services usage' .

IMO, that 'public services usage' has put huge strain on each country in Europe, during this latest 10 year block o time,

and each country is finally getting around to doing something about it. Good On Them.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

True.

Islamophobia doesn't seem to hurt American Muslims in college or at the banks.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

Timeline

This is the blanket statement I was responding to. There are also many prosperous, well educated Muslims in Europe. The media is focusing on unskilled laborers who came when jobs were plentiful, and they were welcome, but who are now blamed for the burdens of entitlement systems that are straining under lagging economies.

Timeline

I thought this was about Europe?

But on to your point Stateside.

One element is for a new-comer to pull his or her own weight.

Another is to assimilate with the Host population.

How would you rate Muslims on both accounts? (Honest question)

Clearly, we are pulling our own weight, and more, in the US. If we assimilated, we wouldn't be doing as well as we are. We'd be like everyone else, and, right now, that's not what is best.

Timeline

Clearly, we are pulling our own weight, and more, in the US. If we assimilated, we wouldn't be doing as well as we are. We'd be like everyone else, and, right now, that's not what is best.

So you are saying muslims are not assimilating?

When you say "everyone else".. you mean the "average"?

Are you working with the belief that wealthy, educated people can not assimilate.... even if they are not average?

William Penn

I find that hard to believe seeing how there isn't one Muslim country on the map that is in the black as far as economics go. It gets even worse when you delve into personal freedoms for said country's. Sans the reason Muslim's can't immigrate to the West fast enough...or else there wouldn't be millions of Muslim immigrants in the West now would there ?

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg