Chocolatelover

Can I (alien) sponsor myself?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Hello everyone!

After getting married to an US citizen, we filed for AOS. We received the letter for the interview which is schedule for October 14!!!

At the time, when we were submitting all forms for AOS my husband was working and we also included a co-sponsor since my husbands previous jobs were not long term positions. For both of my sponsors there is a change in their income: my husband just applied for unemployment and my co-sponsor quit her job and is self-employed now. She is still making enough to sponsor me; she is just not making as much as she expected to make for the current year.

About a month ago, I received my EAD card and I started working.

My questions are: should I bring up those changes at the interview even when we are not asked about it? Should/ can I sponsor myself since I'm eligible to work now? Does the fact that my husband applied for unemployment have a negative impact on me/on our case?

Any thoughts/ feedback is highly appreciated! :-)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You should be prepared to submit an updated I-864 at the interview. Your husband's unemployment is qualifying income. You can add your income to your husband's to help him qualify. The requirement is that your income must continue from the same source after you adjust status, and that you live with the sponsor. I think it's safe to assume that both of these are true. List your income in section 24.b of the I-864. If your combined income is enough to qualify then you don't need a co-sponsor. If you still don't have enough to qualify, then you should get an updated I-864 from your co-sponsor, as well.

Any sponsor, whether the primary sponsor or the co-sponsor, must qualify at the time the AOS is granted, and not just at the time the application is initially submitted.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You should be prepared to submit an updated I-864 at the interview. Your husband's unemployment is qualifying income. You can add your income to your husband's to help him qualify. The requirement is that your income must continue from the same source after you adjust status, and that you live with the sponsor. I think it's safe to assume that both of these are true. List your income in section 24.b of the I-864. If your combined income is enough to qualify then you don't need a co-sponsor. If you still don't have enough to qualify, then you should get an updated I-864 from your co-sponsor, as well.

Any sponsor, whether the primary sponsor or the co-sponsor, must qualify at the time the AOS is granted, and not just at the time the application is initially submitted.

I have a question Jim. What about after the AOS is approved? Does the sponsor still have to show 125percent of poverty line to USCIS for ROC for example?

AOS Timeline

06-28-2010 AOS Packet Sent

07-07-2010 Check Cashed $1010 Ugh!

07-09-2010 NOAs received (I-485,I-130,I-765)

07-14-2010 Biometrics appointment letter received

07-14-2010 RFE (I-864)

07-22-2010 Biometrics appointment

08-20-2010 Submitted RFE Reply I-864

08-24-2010 RFE material received

08-26-2010 Email from USCIS EAD Card Approved

09-03-2010 EAD card received!!!

09-08-2010 Notification of interview date (Oct 12th, 2010)

10-12-2010 Interview-Approved!!!!!

10-26-2010 Green Card Arrived!!!!!!!!

No USCIS till 2012. Wohoooooo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I have a question Jim. What about after the AOS is approved? Does the sponsor still have to show 125percent of poverty line to USCIS for ROC for example?

No. Because the I-864 is binding until any of the qualifying things occur to cancel it out (the reasons are in the instructions). At ROC you will need to show more proof of co-mingling stuff as now you've had time to co-mingle.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

No. Because the I-864 is binding until any of the qualifying things occur to cancel it out (the reasons are in the instructions). At ROC you will need to show more proof of co-mingling stuff as now you've had time to co-mingle.

This is correct. It's kind of like getting a loan. The bank cares if you have enough income to qualify at the time they approve the loan. They don't care if your income changes after that. Once you sign the contract, you're obligated to pay the loan, regardless if your income changes.

Same thing with the affidavit of support. They want to know you qualify to sign the contract. Once they accept your signed contract, then you're on the hook, regardless of changes in your income.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.