STL_HCMC

USA Tries To Be Less Daunting To Foreign Visitors

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I'm eager to see how this one really plays out! Enjoy the read!

Link to article here: USA Tries To Be Less Daunting To Foreign Visitors

STL_HCMC

K1 Timeline

12/27/2005...I-129F Sent (Nebraska Service Center)

07/19/2006...Visa Approved

AOS Timeline

01/23/2007...AOS Sent

03/08/2007...AOS Approved

Removing Conditions

01/12/2009...I-751 Sent

06/10/2009...I-751 Approved

Naturalization

03/27/2010...N-400 Sent

11/21/2011...Approval

12/09/2011...Oath Ceremony

Interesting article. Thank you for posting.

To me this is the most important in far as changes as I cant see too many changes being made regarding security issues.

* Word is out around the globe of cumbersome visa procedures and other entry rules. That's discouraged many would-be visitors from ever starting the process. For those who do make the trip, intrusive inspections and rude treatment upon arrival at airports leave many foreigners thinking, "Never again."

* Will the plan result in a friendlier reception and more foreign visitors to the USA?

I hope so or its the US's loss.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: Other Timeline

STL_HCMC

I can't say anything bad about the immigration officers or the whole immigration process. I never had any problems or any bad experience after 9-11. After things like that every country would think over immigration procedures. There is no reason to criticize anything and maybe the guys who are mourning about lost visitors should look for other reasons. Maybe the reason is within their company.

All I can say that every flight to the United States that I took after 9-11 was completely full. On flights before that I could lay down on the seats because the seats next to me were not occupied.

STL_HCMC

I can't say anything bad about the immigration officers or the whole immigration process. I never had any problems or any bad experience after 9-11. After things like that every country would think over immigration procedures. There is no reason to criticize anything and maybe the guys who are mourning about lost visitors should look for other reasons. Maybe the reason is within their company.

All I can say that every flight to the United States that I took after 9-11 was completely full. On flights before that I could lay down on the seats because the seats next to me were not occupied.

Markus - Las Vegas, NV

32821198.gif

STL_HCMC

It is apparent from various other peoples experiences that not all experience the same level of politeness as you have done. There is never any excuse for rudeness, not even 9-11

Edited by aussiewench

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

STL_HCMC

It is apparent from various other peoples experiences that not all experience the same level of politeness as you have done. There is never any excuse for rudeness, not even 9-11

Well, I worked at an international airport for many years. And the people being rude are most of the time the passengers. If you stay nice and polite I think no one at immigrations will be rude or mean. But of course everyone deserves to be treated the way they treat other people. Good, bad or otherwise.

Coming to the United States is a privilege, not a given right. The only people who have the given right are U.S.-citizens. Everyone who wants to enter any country has to bow down to the laws and requirements of that country. If the person is not willing to, don't enter!

Markus - Las Vegas, NV

32821198.gif

STL_HCMC

Well, I worked at an international airport for many years. And the people being rude are most of the time the passengers. If you stay nice and polite I think no one at immigrations will be rude or mean. But of course everyone deserves to be treated the way they treat other people. Good, bad or otherwise.

Coming to the United States is a privilege, not a given right. The only people who have the given right are U.S.-citizens. Everyone who wants to enter any country has to bow down to the laws and requirements of that country. If the person is not willing to, don't enter!

Tourism of countries including the US is important as pointed out in that article. Man you would be a shocker in PR ahahahahaha ;)

You can find me on FBI

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

STL_HCMC

Tourism of countries including the US is important as pointed out in that article. Man you would be a shocker in PR ahahahahaha ;)

It is exactly like I said. If the so-called tourists are nice, the immigration officer will be the same. Like I said before. I never ever had any bad experience. Just at my job with rude passengers. I am pretty sure that the immigration officers will say exactly the same.

If you want to visit a country. Follow the rules or stay at home. Period!

Markus - Las Vegas, NV

32821198.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

That is a great article, but everyone has to keep one thing in mind. A huge influence on the "boarder patrol/control" and immigration laws is the illegal immigrants entering the United States through Mexico. Unfortunately the ones who really pay the price are other foriegn nationals who have no choice but to enter through a monotired immigration check point, they end up receiving the blunt of the frustration Americans feel toward the government not doing much to keep the illegal immigrants out of the country. I personally don't mind sharing this country with anyone who wishes to be here, but as a US citizen I can honestly say that I feel like a minority in my own country. There are so many illegal immigrants (from Mexico) and this causes Americans to cry out to the government to do something to stop it. I would not expect any other country to let me in without me passing whatever rules and requirements they impose; and if I could not meet the rules and requirmemts I would respect that and not try to enter.

The other influence has been the tragedy in NY on 9-11, most people would have to admit that if they were witness to such a monsterous act on their own land, they would expect the leaders of that country to do more to ensure such an act never repeats itself! At any cost!

Do unto others as you would have others do unto you! If visitors of the United States encounter some ignorant person who is rude to them, SMILE AND SHOW THEM THAT THEY ARE WRONG ABOUT VISITORS BEING RUDE, sooner or later they will come to realize that these "polite visotors" are not the problem. Kill them with KINDNESS!!! You can't go wrong.

Plenty of countries have suffered appalling terrorist acts (including my own - please don't forget 7/7) and don't have the same bad PR for their Immigration sections.

Of COURSE one expects to be checked and checked again at any POE for any land being visited but the point is that these things are done with polite professionalism, not rudeness or ignorance.

Myself, I've never had any problems with visiting the US - always had the polite friendly officers - but I don't 'assume' my experience is typical.

If there are complaints enough that perception is the entry point people are not 'friendly' then obviously its a problem for more than one visitor and needs addressing.

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

My experience of arriving at cincinnati was pretty alarming to me....a guy was yelling and barking orders at us all trying to get us to make separate lines....but I think we were so taken aback we just looked at him gobsmaked which made him even madder........ :lol::lol: personally, I didn't understand a word he said but follwed a crowd.... :help: I mean he had a gun an' all........ :unsure:

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

While I find this article mildly interesting, it really isn't a big surprise. I agree with rebeccajo:

You know what disgusts me about this? Rice and Chertoff in the same room to discuss border controls at the behest of WHO?

Big Business.

Even before 9-11 it was and is extremely unlikely that any of my relatives from Belarus will ever get a visa for even a temporary tourist visit to our home in the USA. They are routinely refused visas and the embassy keeps our $100 "application fee". Why? Are they terrorists, criminals, or enemies of America? NO! They are just common people without wealth. Not the kind of people America (Big Business) welcomes.

I really find it pathetic and sadly amusing that the US embassy in Belarus refuses them visas on grounds that they have no compelling ties to Belarus that would preclude them from immigrating. And I see first hand living in Texas the joke that has occurred daily for 20+ years on the border with Mexico. As long as an illegal immigrant will work for less than prevailing wages for the benefactors of the ruling elite, the law be damned and ignored. Blatantly.

Less daunting for foreign visitors??? HA!!! Less daunting for Big Business and their profits are more the truth.

Can anyone spell h-y-p-o-c-r-i-s-y?

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Filed: Timeline

As I've visited the USA several times and never once had a problem, the POE officers have always been polite and informative, the best was at Seatac Airport. Now I have heard some real horror stories about the POE and I feel sorry for the people involved, we all have bad days, working with the public like I have for the past 5 years is no easy job, some are really rude, the majority are nice and polite. I always thought if you want something real bad then you ask nicely, biting your tongue at any rudeness directed at you.

Janice

3dflagsdotcom_us_wa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_ukeng_2fawm.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
While I find this article mildly interesting, it really isn't a big surprise. I agree with rebeccajo:
You know what disgusts me about this? Rice and Chertoff in the same room to discuss border controls at the behest of WHO?

Big Business.

Even before 9-11 it was and is extremely unlikely that any of my relatives from Belarus will ever get a visa for even a temporary tourist visit to our home in the USA. They are routinely refused visas and the embassy keeps our $100 "application fee". Why? Are they terrorists, criminals, or enemies of America? NO! They are just common people without wealth. Not the kind of people America (Big Business) welcomes.

I really find it pathetic and sadly amusing that the US embassy in Belarus refuses them visas on grounds that they have no compelling ties to Belarus that would preclude them from immigrating. And I see first hand living in Texas the joke that has occurred daily for 20+ years on the border with Mexico. As long as an illegal immigrant will work for less than prevailing wages for the benefactors of the ruling elite, the law be damned and ignored. Blatantly.

Less daunting for foreign visitors??? HA!!! Less daunting for Big Business and their profits are more the truth.

Can anyone spell h-y-p-o-c-r-i-s-y?

Well said....and unfortunately all too true. Such a tough and frustrating situation for you.........

April 16, 2004 Married in Saint Augustine, Florida.

March 7, 2005 Wife left for Istanbul to serve J-1 2 year HRR. Was a very bad day at Black Rock.

May 23, 2006 USCIS receives application for I-130

June 12, 2006 Noa1

Sept 7, 2006 Noa2 I-130 approved

Oct 10 ,2006 Received fee bill from NVC

Nov 13 ,2006 Received Packet 2 DS-230

Jan 4, 2007 Mailed Packet 2 to NVC

Jan 22, 2007 RFE from NVC aaarrrrgggghhh!!!!!!!!

Feb 28, 2007 NVC received "checklist" response and original documents for the RFE

March 13, 2007 Case completed at NVC! Whoooohoooo!! Ankara, here we come!!!!

March 15, 2007 Case fowarded to Ankara Embassy

April 4, 2007 Interview. Wife gets handed the little green paper. Not good. Need to submit a few more things.

April 9, 2007 Items mailed back to Embassy. Crossing fingers, rubbing the "rabbit's foot", etc,..that this may FINALLY be the end.

April 14, 2007 Visa delivered! Wife is finally going to be on her way back home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 20, 2007 Wife enters through JFK. The days of grabbing my dinners at the WalMart deli....are now officially over!!!

Stay tuned to this channel for further updates..........

Filed: Timeline
I really find it pathetic and sadly amusing that the US embassy in Belarus refuses them visas on grounds that they have no compelling ties to Belarus that would preclude them from immigrating.
My best friend's fiance is from Belarus. She has been here for 7 years and if she leaves she will not be allowed back in. She has a great lawyer, but is stuck in red tape and simply cannot seem to get approved for a Green card. It's a terrible mess, especially since my friend travels overseas a lot and cannot take her with him.

Meanwhile my friend tried to sponsor his fiance's mother for a visit here and it was not the US that declined her but her own country! Remember, Belarus is a dictatorship and a bad one at that and they do some not so nice things to their people at times.

Life is hard, people. :(

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.