STL_HCMC

USA Tries To Be Less Daunting To Foreign Visitors

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm eager to see how this one really plays out! Enjoy the read!

Link to article here: USA Tries To Be Less Daunting To Foreign Visitors

STL_HCMC

I can't say anything bad about the immigration officers or the whole immigration process. I never had any problems or any bad experience after 9-11. After things like that every country would think over immigration procedures. There is no reason to criticize anything and maybe the guys who are mourning about lost visitors should look for other reasons. Maybe the reason is within their company.

All I can say that every flight to the United States that I took after 9-11 was completely full. On flights before that I could lay down on the seats because the seats next to me were not occupied.

It is apparent from various other peoples experiences that not all experience the same level of politeness as you have done. There is never any excuse for rudeness, not even 9-11

Well, I worked at an international airport for many years. And the people being rude are most of the time the passengers. If you stay nice and polite I think no one at immigrations will be rude or mean. But of course everyone deserves to be treated the way they treat other people. Good, bad or otherwise.

Coming to the United States is a privilege, not a given right. The only people who have the given right are U.S.-citizens. Everyone who wants to enter any country has to bow down to the laws and requirements of that country. If the person is not willing to, don't enter!

Tourism of countries including the US is important as pointed out in that article. Man you would be a shocker in PR ahahahahaha ;)

It is exactly like I said. If the so-called tourists are nice, the immigration officer will be the same. Like I said before. I never ever had any bad experience. Just at my job with rude passengers. I am pretty sure that the immigration officers will say exactly the same.

If you want to visit a country. Follow the rules or stay at home. Period!

I beg to differ with you! I have flown many times into Canada. The last couple times I've gone through customs I have been treated with subtle rudeness and indifference. I was NOT rude and I DID follow the rules. I was polite the whole time. This has happened to me twice in Canada and once in my own country. So, that scenario just doesn't play out for everyone. There simply wasn't any excuse for the behaviour directed towards me.

Edited by KarenCee

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

There is no excuse for rudeness at the border. If an officer cannot do his job with a professional attitude, then customs should replace him or her.

I have never been met with rudeness at the US border. Then again I have only been met with a truly professional attitude twice. However, at the Canadian border I have been rudely welcomed back to my own country (along with a nice search of my posessions). Yet, I was polite and did absolutely nothing wrong.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

OK,as many of you have probably read-

I HAD a very very bad experience with " (!!!) Immigration Officer just last month in Atlanta/GA.

I went to visit my boyfriend with my 5 year old son.

Now the very first thingf the Officer said when he saw my LITTLE boy,:" A little sodier huh?".And trust me by the look on his face I knew right away HE had a problem with ME.

He was no where nar polite or friendly.

I was asked who I was going to visit and I truthfully answered "my boyfriend".BIG MISTSAKE !

The questioning started and got worse.

Is my son also my boyfriends son? How many times have I been to the US? When was the last time? how long was I there? What do I do for a living? Who paid for my flights? Why did my boyfriend not pay for the flights? Where and how did I meet my boyfriend? How long have we been seeing each other? Where does he work and since when?Hopw did I get the money to pay for the flights?..........

No that was NOT all,he took all the papers plus our passports ,put them in a folder and told me to go to the INS Office around the corner since "there's gonna be some more questions to be answered"

Ok so I go to the Office and there's Officer Butler

I politley ask him how long it might take since I have a connecting flight,well I'm told:

"Ok if you wanna play hardball I will put you on the next plane back to Germany ,you have no right being in ths country!" No not yet enough ,he tells me "You either shut up and have a seat and wait until I call you or I put you on the next plane!"

I've never had an overstay,never spent more time in the US than in Germany and the last time I was in the USA was more than 5 years ago !!!!

I DO understand that they have to ask certain questions and all that,and I was horrified by 9/11,spent days crying my eyes out and still can't stop crying when I watch the Video's of that horrible horrible day.My son is half American and one day I will have to explain to him what happened that day and it breaks my heart to think of all the great US Soldiers (my fiance, at the time was one of them and many many friends I have have served in the US Military for many years) that'd died downrange as a result of the attacks on the Pentagon and the WTC,BUT I seriously doubt that it is justified to treat someone like that when they try to visit a loved one!!!!!!!!

I was scared,angry,humiliated and hurt by that treatment.

Now STINGER,you explain that one to me!!!!!!

Nat

Met on May 17,2005

Got engaged on Sep 15th,2006

Came to the US for good on Jan 27th,2009

and we got married on March 28th,2009

GOD , grant me the serenity

to accept the things I can not change

the courage to change the things I can

and the wisdom to know the difference!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
OK,as many of you have probably read-

I HAD a very very bad experience with " (!!!) Immigration Officer just last month in Atlanta/GA.

I went to visit my boyfriend with my 5 year old son.

Now the very first thingf the Officer said when he saw my LITTLE boy,:" A little sodier huh?".And trust me by the look on his face I knew right away HE had a problem with ME.

He was no where nar polite or friendly.

I was asked who I was going to visit and I truthfully answered "my boyfriend".BIG MISTSAKE !

The questioning started and got worse.

Is my son also my boyfriends son? How many times have I been to the US? When was the last time? how long was I there? What do I do for a living? Who paid for my flights? Why did my boyfriend not pay for the flights? Where and how did I meet my boyfriend? How long have we been seeing each other? Where does he work and since when?Hopw did I get the money to pay for the flights?..........

No that was NOT all,he took all the papers plus our passports ,put them in a folder and told me to go to the INS Office around the corner since "there's gonna be some more questions to be answered"

Ok so I go to the Office and there's Officer Butler

I politley ask him how long it might take since I have a connecting flight,well I'm told:

"Ok if you wanna play hardball I will put you on the next plane back to Germany ,you have no right being in ths country!" No not yet enough ,he tells me "You either shut up and have a seat and wait until I call you or I put you on the next plane!"

I've never had an overstay,never spent more time in the US than in Germany and the last time I was in the USA was more than 5 years ago !!!!

I DO understand that they have to ask certain questions and all that,and I was horrified by 9/11,spent days crying my eyes out and still can't stop crying when I watch the Video's of that horrible horrible day.My son is half American and one day I will have to explain to him what happened that day and it breaks my heart to think of all the great US Soldiers (my fiance, at the time was one of them and many many friends I have have served in the US Military for many years) that'd died downrange as a result of the attacks on the Pentagon and the WTC,BUT I seriously doubt that it is justified to treat someone like that when they try to visit a loved one!!!!!!!!

I was scared,angry,humiliated and hurt by that treatment.

Now STINGER,you explain that one to me!!!!!!

Nat

When my wife came to visit me last September, I made SURE that one of the connecting flights was definately not going to go through Atlanta. I have seen other negative reports on the treatment there. It's inexcusable.And believe me, there were plenty of flights that routed through that airport, and some slightly cheaper than what I paid for. But it is stories like what I have heard before (some written on this forum) and from what I have just read from your experience...........that make me be sure to go out of my way to ensure she doesn't go through that airport.

I assume at least you were allowed in? (some consolation)

No excuse for that kind of treatment, and to be handled/talked to that way.

(P.S.....I do disagree with your point about telling them the truth to see your boyfriend. Better you were honest with them, then have them question you anyways, and for them to find out the truth the hard way. You may have caused more trouble for yourself. Tough as it is.........it was better to be honest.)

April 16, 2004 Married in Saint Augustine, Florida.

March 7, 2005 Wife left for Istanbul to serve J-1 2 year HRR. Was a very bad day at Black Rock.

May 23, 2006 USCIS receives application for I-130

June 12, 2006 Noa1

Sept 7, 2006 Noa2 I-130 approved

Oct 10 ,2006 Received fee bill from NVC

Nov 13 ,2006 Received Packet 2 DS-230

Jan 4, 2007 Mailed Packet 2 to NVC

Jan 22, 2007 RFE from NVC aaarrrrgggghhh!!!!!!!!

Feb 28, 2007 NVC received "checklist" response and original documents for the RFE

March 13, 2007 Case completed at NVC! Whoooohoooo!! Ankara, here we come!!!!

March 15, 2007 Case fowarded to Ankara Embassy

April 4, 2007 Interview. Wife gets handed the little green paper. Not good. Need to submit a few more things.

April 9, 2007 Items mailed back to Embassy. Crossing fingers, rubbing the "rabbit's foot", etc,..that this may FINALLY be the end.

April 14, 2007 Visa delivered! Wife is finally going to be on her way back home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 20, 2007 Wife enters through JFK. The days of grabbing my dinners at the WalMart deli....are now officially over!!!

Stay tuned to this channel for further updates..........

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Yes thank God I was admitted in.But I will definitley never again come in at Atlanta.

I never knew that they were known for their rude treatment of visitors.

Now I'm scared I'll have problems in September when I go to visit my man again.........I have no clue what all they put in their computer...........

But there's no entry's in our passports,just the stanp.Even though on my little boys stamp he wrote WT????Does anyone know what that means????

I also think that being honest about the reaosn for my visit to the US was to be with my (at the time now we're engaged) boyfriend.

But that experience has me scared and I know I will be shaky in September.......

I hope I can get in at Seattle or even Portland so Jim would be able to BE at the airport waiting for me.But I've read stories about Seattle too..........

Anyone has a clue what airport is the best,please feel free to e mail me!

Natasha

Met on May 17,2005

Got engaged on Sep 15th,2006

Came to the US for good on Jan 27th,2009

and we got married on March 28th,2009

GOD , grant me the serenity

to accept the things I can not change

the courage to change the things I can

and the wisdom to know the difference!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.