132 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Muslim Miss USA: Move the mosque!

By JENNIFER FERMINO

Last Updated: 1:24 PM, August 21, 2010

Posted: 2:03 AM, August 21, 2010

Comments: 33 | More Print

Looks like Miss USA -- a practicing Muslim and the first Arab-American ever to snag the sparkly crown -- won't be unrolling her prayer mat in the mosque near Ground Zero.

Rima Fakih, a Queens-raised daughter of Lebanese immigrants, said she respects freedom of religion but believes the proposed $100 million Islamic cultural center is too close to the site of the worst domestic terror attack in US history.

"I totally agree with President Obama with the statement on constitutional rights of freedom of religion," the beauty queen said in an interview with "Inside Edition" that aired yesterday.

rima_fakih--300x450.jpg

Reuters

RAISING EYEBROWS: Miss USA Rima Fakih, vying for Miss Universe, says she doesn't favor a mosque near Ground Zero.

"I also agree that it shouldn't be so close to the World Trade Center. We should be more concerned with the tragedy than religion."

Fakih -- who graduated from St. John's Prep HS in Queens before relocating to Michigan with her family -- spoke to the TV show while she was practicing for Monday's Miss Universe pageant.

She and Obama might have different views on the mosque, but the Lebanese-born stunner harbors no ill will toward the president.

In fact, she dedicated her barely-there costume for the beauty extravaganza to Obama.

Fakih unveiled the sexy get-up in a YouTube video, saying, "Mr. President, the amazing costume I will wear during the Miss Universe pageant represents the celebration of life, liberty and all that is American."

She said she dedicated the gold lamé outfit -- a Victoria's Secret-like interpretation of the American eagle on the presidential seal featuring massive gold wings and little else -- to Obama as "a tribute to your work to bring peace to the world."

Fakih's stance on the controversial mosque is not the first time the pageant winner has made headlines for her off-stage activities.

Pictures of the 24-year-old -- who recently told the Detroit Free Press she was fasting for Ramadan while preparing for Miss Universe -- pole dancing surfaced shortly after she won the crown.

The shots were taken in 2007 at a dance contest, and included images of her working her way up a stripper pole in tight shorts and bopping around with dollar bills in her bra.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/muslim_miss_usa_move_the_mosque_C0VlK0arNhioO9OPJ560FO#ixzz0xJNIKScO

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

No one is telling anyone not to build it, just building it right there is poor taste.

It's the equivalent of me building a statue to honor the US military, at a location in Afghan where innocent people were carelessly killed during the war. It's the same line of reasoning, not all Americans did it so what's wrong. Nothing really, since most had nothing to do with this but it's still extremely poor taste. If I wanted to build something to show I was united and peaceful, I would build a community center for the community.

Building the mosque there is the wrong way to illustrate you are a religion of peace. It does nothing to prove people who are skeptical of Islam wrong. Defeats the purpose actually.

Edited by Heracles

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

No one is telling anyone not to build it, just building it right there is poor taste.

It's the equivalent of me building a statue to honor the US military, at a location in Afghan where innocent people were carelessly killed during the war. It's the same line of reasoning, not all Americans did it so what's wrong. Nothing really, since most had nothing to do with this but it's still extremely poor taste. If I wanted to build something to show I was united and peaceful, I would build a community center for the community.

Building the mosque there is the wrong way to illustrate you are a religion of peace. It does nothing to prove people who are skeptical of Islam wrong. Defeats the purpose actually.

All this harping against the location of Park51 is tasteless. And, it's definitely the wrong way to prove you're not a bigot.

All this harping against the location of Park51 is tasteless. And, it's definitely the wrong way to prove you're not a bigot.

though it could get him on rima fakih's good side it would appear.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

She is doable.good.gif

I'd hit that.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

I'd hit that.

like you'd have :rofl::lol::rofl::lol: even a tiny chance

if you gave your info (receipt #s, full name, etc) to anyone on VJ under the guise that they would "help" you through the immigration journey with his inside contacts (like his sister at USCIS) ... please contact OLUInquiries@dhs.gov, and go to http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact to report anything suspicious. Contact your congressman and senator's offices as well.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

There can be no freedom of religion without freedom of speech. She is using her freedom of speech to express her opinion. So what?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Can anyone else see a theme going on with JAS recent topic choices?

Every thread is about Islam or Park 51

I see nothing different than how Steve posts 90% of his threads which are very left wing liberal posts or bashig right wing posts.

Or yours and mads absurd ability to dismiss people that have different view points than your own with angered rhetoric.

BTW Mad most likely Fakih's has a better education and grasp on what is going on with the mosque than most of us including you. calling her an airhead shows your true intelligence when trying to understand people.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You're only saying that because you agree with her. It's a damned beauty context, Evli. It's an outdated, sexist institution that puts women on display for the entertainment of men. It's not a venue for complex debate, nor for controversial opinions, let alone intelligent ones. All they do is tick the box and move on.

You're only saying that because you agree with her. It's a damned beauty context, Evli. It's an outdated, sexist institution that puts women on display for the entertainment of men. It's not a venue for complex debate, nor for controversial opinions, let alone intelligent ones. All they do is tick the box and move on.

Do you feel the same about soccer?

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow