StupidJourney

Awkward English

77 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I am an English as a second language teacher, so maybe that's why I find awkard english so endearing...

But I thought it would be interesting to see what types of awkward English your foreign fiance tells you! (And a good distraction from playing the waiting game).

My two personal favorites are:

"Every day my love for you augments"

and

"I can't support being without you"

Of course there are plenty of others (some may not be appropriate to share! :wub: )

What kinds of things have you been told?

timeline doesn't matter.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a fun topic! My husband grew up with English as his 3rd language. He actually speaks English pretty well, especially having gotten his college education in the US, but there are funny phrases that come out of his mouth now and then, just the way colloquial English is spoken in his country. One example is the use of "laters" instead of "later".

Can't think of anything else at the moment, but I wanted to recommend this site to you:

My sister and I visited a friend living in Japan last year, and one of the pure delights of being there was finding all the creative use of English on T-shirts, signs, and many other products, affectionately called "Engrish". It seems that it is desirable to have English on products as part of the design for a modern, cool look, but often the meaning or content is not important, so not a whole lot of checking for correct spelling or grammar. The results can be hilarious!

(No offense to any Japanese posters, while there I met many Japanese people who speak beautiful English, it's just that some of the advertising and product design people have no desire to get their English perfect, and rhe results can be soo funny!)

K1 Visa

April 1, 2005 ...... I-129F mailed to VSC

April 4, 2005 ...... I-129F received at VSC

April 5, 2005 ...... NOA1 issued by VSC

May 4, 2005 ....... NOA2 issued by VSC

May 12, 2005...... NVC sent petition to embassy

June 14, 2005..... Fiance received Packet 3 from embassy

Dec 20, 2005 ..... Interview -- visa issued!!!

Dec 27, 2005 ..... Fiance arrived in US

Dec 30, 2005 ..... We got married!!!

AOS / EAD

June 7, 2006 ...... Mailed AOS/EAD paperwork to Chicago Lockbox

June 8, 2006 ...... Realized that we failed to send passport photos for I-765;
awaiting RFE!

June 9, 2006 ...... AOS/EAD package delivered

June 15, 2006 .... NOA issued for AOS/EAD

July 1, 2006 ........ Biometrics appointment

July 3, 2006 ........ AOS & EAD touched

July 17, 2006 ...... AOS transferred to CSC

July 21, 2006 ...... CSC received AOS case

July 22, 2006 ...... AOS touched

July 25, 2006 ...... AOS touched

July 26, 2006 ...... AOS touched

July 28, 2006 ...... AOS touched

July 31, 2006 ...... AOS touched

Aug 4, 2006 ........ AOS approved per case status on USCIS website!

Aug 9, 2006 ........ Welcome letter received

Aug 10, 2006 ...... Green card received!!!

Timeline
This is a fun topic! My husband grew up with English as his 3rd language. He actually speaks English pretty well, especially having gotten his college education in the US, but there are funny phrases that come out of his mouth now and then, just the way colloquial English is spoken in his country. One example is the use of "laters" instead of "later".

Can't think of anything else at the moment, but I wanted to recommend this site to you:

My sister and I visited a friend living in Japan last year, and one of the pure delights of being there was finding all the creative use of English on T-shirts, signs, and many other products, affectionately called "Engrish". It seems that it is desirable to have English on products as part of the design for a modern, cool look, but often the meaning or content is not important, so not a whole lot of checking for correct spelling or grammar. The results can be hilarious!

(No offense to any Japanese posters, while there I met many Japanese people who speak beautiful English, it's just that some of the advertising and product design people have no desire to get their English perfect, and rhe results can be soo funny!)

I know exactly what you're talking about in regards to "creative" English on products. My personal favorite was a children's school bag, with a cute little cartoon teddy bear, and the words "rich b@*ch" printed under it!!

timeline doesn't matter.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

http://allyourbase.planettribes.gamespy.co...deo1_view.shtml

hahahahahaaa

James & Sara - Aug 12, 05

Humanity... destined to pass the baton shortly.

I worked as a voice and accent trainer for one of the larger call-centres in India... some of the calls I monitored were hysterical... so much so I kept the reports... here are some of the things said by those handling tech calls for microsoft uk...

I cannot see you hearing me

Please go ahead and answer me back

Customer: Are you in England?

Response: No but this call is

I have had a hard time keeping a straight face to tell you the truth.

Paul and I met on the Bazaar on the 14th January (he joined my progressive rock forum that day)

July 3rd he flew to England to meet me

We fell in love while he drove all over the place coz I cannot read maps (we were supposed to go to Ingleton - but touched Darlington 4 times, Pierce Bridge 6 times, Scotch Corner twice and Bernard Castle twice and we never did make it to Ingleton)

It has been so long and so much has happened in between...

Arrived in Houston on October 29th 2006

Married 17th November 2006

Lost my father 8th January 2007 (all dates are a blur after this)

Conditional Green Card dated 24th October 2007

I-751 posted on 6th August 2009

Received on 7th August 2009 in VT

Melo's Prog Bazaar

CTTE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I worked as a voice and accent trainer for one of the larger call-centres in India... some of the calls I monitored were hysterical... so much so I kept the reports... here are some of the things said by those handling tech calls for microsoft uk...

I cannot see you hearing me

Please go ahead and answer me back

Customer: Are you in England?

Response: No but this call is

I have had a hard time keeping a straight face to tell you the truth.

:lol: good ones melo :thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

I'm not really sure what that video means, but it's actually kind of creepy!

http://allyourbase.planettribes.gamespy.co...deo1_view.shtml

hahahahahaaa

timeline doesn't matter.

All your base are belong to us...

Where to start :lol:

Here's the wikipedia entry for it:

"All your base are belong to us" (often referred to as "All Your Base" or abbreviated AYBABTU, AYBAB2U, or simply AYB) is an Engrish phrase that sparked an Internet phenomenon in 2001 and 2002. The text is taken from the opening cut scene of the English version of the 1989 Japanese video game Zero Wing by Toaplan. While the translation was generally poor, this phrase stood out as particularly humorous. From mid-to-late 2000 many images were digitally altered so that the phrase was added in, either obviously or discreetly, led by the Something Awful Forums[1]. Some of these images were compiled with those created and posted to a forum thread on TribalWar.com by their members; one of whom, known only as "Bad_CRC", created the AYBABTU Flash animation that was widely downloaded and later featured on various online and televised news outlets.

It's just taken a life of its own really. It's kind of old by now though. You'll still see it once in a while on gamer forums or something.

The phrase is a line from the game's introductory cut scene, which is subtitled and poorly translated (see Engrish). It made its first appearance on the Internet in 1998. During mid- to late 1998, the phrase began to appear on many Internet forums. In 2000, Jared and Canadian Gabber group The Laziest Men on Mars created the song “Invasion of the Gabber Robots” using samples from the game theme by Tatsuya Uemura (including a robotic voice synthesis rendition of the complete cut-scene dialogue, which by some accounts caused MP3.com to temporarily remove the track from their servers for perceived copyright violation).

By the second half of February 2001 a huge number of altered pictures, GIF animations, and Macromedia Flash animations (in addition to photos of actual sightings) swept over the Internet, the first being the twelfth episode of “Eskimo Bob,” in what creators Tomas and Alan Guinan later declared their worst episode to date, going so far as to post warnings advising people not to watch it. It has been used as a caption for almost any photograph since the heavily overloaded word “base” (along with homonyms such as bass and compounds like base pair) seemed to make the phrase mean almost anything. Numerous persons and groups also replaced the word base with other topics (e.g. “all your data are belong to us,” “all your vote are belong to us,” “all your oil are belong to U.S.”), generally suggesting someone's aggressive dominance—either real or imagined—in a particular field.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_your_base_are_belong_to_us

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My wife likes to say

"Honey, I'm so headache" and "oh my Godness", although the latter has faded in the past year.

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!

Timeline
I spent 5 months in China. Some of the signs I saw really cracked me up!! Here is one!

DawangHotel.jpg

why is there a question mark that's not in the translation?? hahaa

timeline doesn't matter.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

One of my favorites :P

post-1032-1155517829_thumb.jpg

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007