one...two...tree

Argentina legalizes gay marriage in historic vote

94 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Society changes, it's never been static. As far as that goes, legalising gay marriage isn't a fundamental shift.

Really? Why the shift in just the last 10 years? Never heard a reasonable answer for that and I'm sure you'll come up empty-handed as well. Anyone else want to take a stab at it on this "historic" day?

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Really? Why the shift in just the last 10 years? Never heard a reasonable answer for that and I'm sure you'll come up empty-handed as well. Anyone else want to take a stab at it on this "historic" day?

Alien, sorry to break it to you, but its a fact. Times are changing. It is legal in several states for couples of the same sex to marry. It remains for the Constitution to be upheld and for those marriages (which are, in fact, under civil law, contracts) to be held valid in States under the sway of bigotry.

Either that, or we are not a nation of laws, but something else. As I indicated above, the Constitution is quite clear on this point.

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Timeline

The "bigot" label is totally lame and adds nothing but lame self righteousness to the debate. You either buy into homosexual parity with heterosexuality and embrace it as a societal norm or you are a bigot? Name calling and labels are a lazy and cowardly way to debate the merits of your point of view. It pretty much shows a lack of merit and a bankrupt point of view.

peejay, I am convinced that there is righteousness here, just as there is bigotry. The situation is rather analogous to that of States a century ago that sought to deny validity of certain marriages under the gise of denouncing miscegenation.

And it remains to be seen whether the USA is a nation of laws, or a nation where bigots prevail.

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand

11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't buy that. Society gets to deem what societal norms, tradition, and customs are. Marriage has been between one man and one woman in our society for hundreds of years. People will not just throw that out the window because of what one judge or a handful of judges decree.

Homosexuality is and never has been equal to heterosexuality in terms of humanity's advancement. I could personally care less if homosexuality exists, but it is not equal to or in parity with heterosexuality in the context of human advancement. It is a dead end biologically. Probably a good reason most of the peoples of the world don't hold it in the same esteem as heterosexuality. It is far from vindication.

If a society elevates homosexuality to the societal norm equal to heterosexuality then it had just as soon open the gate to polygamy on an equal level to monogamy as well. We can then define marriage as an undetermined amount of people of either sex.

Americans traditionally don't want an anything goes definition of marriage and won't have it imposed on them quietly. Jump for joy all you want about homosexual victories in the news.

Human rights are not a popularity contest. They are absolute rights that each human should have access to, period.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

It's about time the gits suffered like I have

Why should gays go through life without having people go off with other people AND take your house as well ?

They have been a protected minority up to now but in future they will have to take all the same slings and arrows as us heteros

Having mother in laws and divorces and not being able to bonk anyone you like - buying engagement rings and wedding rings - only to see em go sell em afterwards. Why should they escape all this stuff ?

about time

congratulations boys - give us a twirl

Edited by saywhat

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I keep telling people. Take the word 'marriage' out of it when it comes to government and you would solve at least half of the problem...

The other half, well.. it's too ignorant to be dealt with anyway...

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

peejay, I am convinced that there is righteousness here, just as there is bigotry. The situation is rather analogous to that of States a century ago that sought to deny validity of certain marriages under the gise of denouncing miscegenation.

And it remains to be seen whether the USA is a nation of laws, or a nation where bigots prevail.

You are comparing apples and oranges. Homosexuality is a behavior...not a race. You may honestly believe you are on some sort of self righteous moral pedestal, but not everyone buys it nor are they afraid of your name calling tactics.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Timeline

You are comparing apples and oranges. Homosexuality is a behavior...not a race.

This is the classic statement of bigotry. An assertion that human rights has merely a racial basis. At its core, human rights derive from the fundamental dignity of all human beings. It is this that bigots cannot abide.

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand

11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview

The question is - have they made the same mistake Canada did? Legalizing gay marriage without making it possible for gay divorce? I support gay marriage, but with marriage, comes a whole host of other legalities - including common-law and divorce.

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013

Timeline

The question is - have they made the same mistake Canada did? Legalizing gay marriage without making it possible for gay divorce? I support gay marriage, but with marriage, comes a whole host of other legalities - including common-law and divorce.

Indeed, it is probably through sorting out divorce case across state lines -- and perhaps associated custody cases -- that we will find whether or not the Constitution is upheld. There has already been limited progress in this regard.

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand

11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview

Timeline

What marriage without divorce ?

Now there is a vision of hell on earth

If marriage without divorce was the price of lifting some shirts, it would stop that behaviour in it's tracks !

jeez what a concept ! What still married to Gloria ? shudder - billion times worse than waterboarding !

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Alien, sorry to break it to you, but its a fact. Times are changing. It is legal in several states for couples of the same sex to marry. It remains for the Constitution to be upheld and for those marriages (which are, in fact, under civil law, contracts) to be held valid in States under the sway of bigotry.

Either that, or we are not a nation of laws, but something else. As I indicated above, the Constitution is quite clear on this point.

So you couldn't explain how such a fundemental right came from nowhere. Funny how the biggest supporters can't even guess at what events got us to this point. It's not ancient history.

There's nothing in the Constitution about marriage but I assume you're trying say something about "full faith and credit" clause?

It's not that big of an issue for me but it doesn't mean there's much to cheer about either. As I understand it civil unions gave gays all the legal rights with the exception of a marriage ceremony of sorts.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

Timeline

You guys haven't been hetro married and divorced enough

There is nothing 'natural' about it when it goes wrong

Ask Mel Gibson