one...two...tree

Argentina legalizes gay marriage in historic vote

94 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Well, you know well my feelings about BP.

I tried to run my car on BP but insect urine doesn't work

I am so proud of em saving the Americans from their own lax government safety standards

which led to the poorly designed US equipment that failed

Yes, saved em again

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Really? Why the shift in just the last 10 years? Never heard a reasonable answer for that and I'm sure you'll come up empty-handed as well. Anyone else want to take a stab at it on this "historic" day?

Why should it matter to you what the timescale is? That's surely of no relevance. You act as though nothing happens outside the Borders of the US.

Filed: Timeline

Really? Why the shift in just the last 10 years? Never heard a reasonable answer for that and I'm sure you'll come up empty-handed as well. Anyone else want to take a stab at it on this "historic" day?

Because of those dirty Communists who want to destroy the fabric of the civilization you love.

Why did those dirty Communists suddenly decide to push gay marriage? My mole in the politburo says it has something to do with whipped cream.

Because of those dirty Communists who want to destroy the fabric of the civilization you love.

Why did those dirty Communists suddenly decide to push gay marriage? My mole in the politburo says it has something to do with whipped cream.

Yum. I love whipped cream.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Perhaps some of the folks here had unpleasant youth experiences - perhaps a few found themselves handcuffed over a barrel with an apple wedged in their mouths after a night of heavy drinking.

You sound distressingly familiar with such a scenario.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

This is the classic statement of bigotry. An assertion that human rights has merely a racial basis. At its core, human rights derive from the fundamental dignity of all human beings. It is this that bigots cannot abide.

That's a bit of a stretch. Homosexual marriage is a core fundemental human right? If you don't embrace that concept you are a bigot and that is the end of that debate? How arrogant and asinine.

There are quite a large majority of peoples all over the world that would disagree with your assertion. Most of the world does not elevate homosexual unions to the same exalted position as heterosexual marriage for core fundamental societal tradition, customs, and values that have absolutely nothing to do with civil rights or human rights. How society defines marriage is not in the realm of human rights.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Timeline

There are quite a large majority of peoples all over the world that would disagree with your assertion. Most of the world does not elevate homosexual unions to the same exalted position as heterosexual marriage for core fundamental societal tradition, customs, and values that have absolutely nothing to do with civil rights or human rights. How society defines marriage is not in the realm of human rights.

"Tradition" and "customs" is a $hit reason to disagree with it.

Timeline

I keep telling people. Take the word 'marriage' out of it when it comes to government and you would solve at least half of the problem...

The other half, well.. it's too ignorant to be dealt with anyway...

No it doesn't solve half the problem. The problem is that people who oppose it are hung up on the semantics of the word "marriage" rather than a consideration of the practical aspects that are actual reasons to legitimise it - specifically, whether gay couples should have the right to the legal ramifications of "marriage" (the right of gay couples to file joint taxes, inheritance etc. etc.)

If it were merely about the word "marriage" then the argument against it amounts to nothing more than semantics. The actual reason those people don't want it is because they disagree with homosexual relationships and don't want the law to recognise them in any way, shape or form. In other words they have a backward and (frankly) dangerous view of the world.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

What about if you want to just "practice" breeding? Can us old people marry then? :devil:

Seriously, it amazes me how people get overworked about what others do behind closed doors. The marriage issue is a way of allowing same sex couples to have the same rights over estate and assets as the heterosexually married. Legal recognition of a surviving spouse in case of death, medical emergencies, etc...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

No it doesn't solve half the problem. The problem is that people who oppose it are hung up on the semantics of the word "marriage" rather than a consideration of the practical aspects that are actual reasons to legitimise it - specifically, whether gay couples should have the right to the legal ramifications of "marriage" (the right of gay couples to file joint taxes, inheritance etc. etc.)

If it were merely about the word "marriage" then the argument against it amounts to nothing more than semantics. The actual reason those people don't want it is because they disagree with homosexual relationships and don't want the law to recognise them in any way, shape or form. In other words they have a backward and (frankly) dangerous view of the world.

Not necessarily. In areas where they have pushed for equal benefits minus an actual "marriage" it has seemed to be a bit more acceptable. Now there are always those against it no matter what for whatever reason.

Marriage is a religious institution in our Western culture and should be left as such. All unions be it male/female, male/male, female/female should be considered civil unions in government. Leave marraige out completely. It's a civil contract is all it is at the end of the day and should be treated as such.

As far as the dangerous/backwards thinking comment, not really.... I think anyone who relies on marriage to confirm their relationship is quite pathetic. No matter what orientation they are. Hell, the only reason I'm doing the marriage thing is for immigration purposes. If I had it my way, I see no inherent benefit in having the government recognize my relationship. It's absurd on all levels and why I think it should be completely abolished from government in all honesty.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

What about if you want to just "practice" breeding? Can us old people marry then? :devil:

Seriously, it amazes me how people get overworked about what others do behind closed doors. The marriage issue is a way of allowing same sex couples to have the same rights over estate and assets as the heterosexually married. Legal recognition of a surviving spouse in case of death, medical emergencies, etc...

Yes I think anyone who is married and gets a vasectomy should be required to divorce at the same time - now that there is no reason to be married.

What I dont understand is gay divorce. I mean when it's heteros, the woman gets everything and the guy gets a tiny bedsit room in the ghetto and turns into an alky and then dies. How will they decide who gets what when it's two geezers or two short haired ladies ?

moresheep400100.jpg