Peikko

Iroquois passports don't meet 'new standars' - finalists will miss world cup!

12 posts in this topic

In the 18th and 19th centuries, tribes from the Iroquois nations were involved in repeated confrontations with the British and Americans and usually came off badly, victims of one broken treaty after another. Now their descendants are involved in another standoff, entangled in a visa row with the US and British governments.

The native Americans are due to play England in Manchester on Thursday in the world cup of lacrosse, a game they helped to invent 1,000 years ago. But the team is stranded in New York, their Iroquois passports no longer accepted by the US or Britain.

"We hope this gets resolved quickly," Denise Waterman, a spokeswoman for the team, said. "The great irony is that the game of lacrosse was founded by our people on Iroquois territory, so we hope others can respect the history and origins of game and not impede our team from competition."

The team, which has 23 members and represents the Six Nations of the Iroquois, was due to travel from New York to the UK on Sunday but they were told by the British consulate in New York on Friday they were ineligible to fly.

Neither the US state department nor the British government showed any sign of backing down. Nor did the Iroquois, who do not accept US sovereignty and who refused a US state department offer of emergency US passports.

Since 1977, the Iroquois have been allowed to use their own passports as a courtesy after an agreement between the US, British, Canadian and other governments. But that agreement fell foul off new US passport and visa requirements after 9/11 and of tough requirements introduced last year.

One player, Brett Bucktooth, said he would rather miss the tournament than travel under a US passport. "That's the people we are, and that's our identity," he said.

"My father put a wooden lacrosse stick into my crib when I was a baby and now that I have a son, I put a lacrosse stick into his crib," he said. "In our culture, we all start playing lacrosse young."

Waterman said one reason that the Iroquois could not accept the US passports was that the competition was an international tournament and the team had to represent a sovereign nation to participate.

The Iroquois have sent teams over the last three decades to competitions around the world, including to Britain in 1985 and 1994.

The team has been stuck in New York since the end of last week, running up tens of thousands of dollars in hotel bills.

A US state department spokesman said new passport rules came into effect last year. "Since they last travelled on their own passports, the requirements in terms of the kind of documents that are necessary to facilitate travel within and outside the hemisphere have changed," he said.

A British diplomat in Washington said : "We understand the frustration of the Iroquois team but before we can issue visitors with visas to come to the UK we need to be certain they will be allowed back into their countries when they return home.

"I am afraid the US government does not recognise these passports as legitimate travel documents that would allow re-entry."

Link

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

That's just wrong.

agreed

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

It is quite ridiculous - how they allow bureaucracy to #### things up like this I don't know, but they do, all the time.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

But the important thing is that they are maintaining their identity. And staying on the reervation where we put them...eh?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Iroquois do not accept US sovereignty and who refused a US state department offer of emergency US passports.

I'm wonndering if they are the only Native American tribe that does this?

Filed: Country:
Timeline

As much as I support the Sovereignty of the Iroquois I also believe that if they want to continue issuing their own passports then it is the Nation's (Iroquois) responsibility to keep up with the requirements of the international community and update them to the current Machine Readable requirements much has the Philippine Government has.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

As much as I support the Sovereignty of the Iroquois I also believe that if they want to continue issuing their own passports then it is the Nation's (Iroquois) responsibility to keep up with the requirements of the international community and update them to the current Machine Readable requirements much has the Philippine Government has.

Exactly. If they want to be a sovereign nation, then they better be willing to do all of the sovereign nation stuff. That means dealing with visa requirements and international relations. If other nations don't accept their passports or won't issue their passport holders visas, that's the problem of their "sovereign" government. If they want to pretend to be a "sovereign" nation and have the US work out their passport relations then they're just creating a lot of red tape with no real meaning.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Iroquois, there a quois, everywhere a quois quois.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Iroquois, there a quois, everywhere a quois quois.

:bonk: don't make me go mohican on you!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

British consulate in New York poo. It's been rigged, I tell ya -

Have a no-show? England wins, by Default, yes?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

If this sovereign nation has enough money to pay a team of traveling athletes tens of thousands of dollars for hotel costs, you'd think they'd be able to figure out who to bribe to get passports up to speed. I mean, we have no problem paying politicians tens of thousands of dollars. Works for us.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"