8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My fiance and I have decided that we are going to apply for my Social Security Number BEFORE we get married, then change my name on it.

We are planning on going to the local office to apply on the 19th of this month as it will be 17 days after my arrival in the US.

I have two questions -

1 - What will I need to take to the office to apply?

2 - How many days will it take (approx) to receive my SSN or will I get it the same day?

Thanks in advance

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiance and I have decided that we are going to apply for my Social Security Number BEFORE we get married, then change my name on it.

We are planning on going to the local office to apply on the 19th of this month as it will be 17 days after my arrival in the US.

I have two questions -

1 - What will I need to take to the office to apply?

2 - How many days will it take (approx) to receive my SSN or will I get it the same day?

Thanks in advance

1) D/L the SS-5 application from the SSA website.... passport w/visa is required to be shown

2) in 2-3 weeks after application is the "typical" length of time to get the SSN card

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

you can download the form or you'll find it at the SSN office as well.

passport with visa and I-94, that's all they need. the front office operator may tell you that they do not release it unless you have a work permit (that's what they told me at first): in this case ask to talk to a supervisor.

I got mine after about 10 days.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Agree with the form SS-5 but here's the link: http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.pdf

As for how long it took.. mine was pretty quick, took 6 days to arrive. You just need to take your passport (they need to see the K1 visa), and I-94 (needs to still be current). Here's the guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

We applied for Mathews on Tuesday and got it on Saturday in the mail. We pre-filled out the form and took it down to the office with his passport that had his I-94 in it. Easiest thing we've done so far since he's been here.

The DMV still swears he has to hold his permit though, even though the website specifically says he doesn't. But I'm too tired to fight that battle. Only 5 days until he can test anyway. Guess you just have to learn to pick your battles :)

Naturalization

04/10/17- N-400 Filed

04/12/17- Received Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

04/13/17- Credit Card Charged

04/14/17- NOA

05/08/17- Biometrics

05/11/17- In Line

05/22/17- Interview Scheduled

06/28/17- Interview(Approved)

08/29/17 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.