Tunaa

Moving across the world

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Norway
Timeline

I am planning my move to America from Norway now, and I'm having a lot of difficulties deciding what to bring, and what to just buy new when I get there.

* I know they use 120volt in the US, and here we use 230V or something.

Would it be safe to bring stuff like a TV, Xbox 360, PC + monitor etc. and use and adapter? I've done this on vacation on my mobile charger and laptop and such, but every day for a significant time, would this be safe?

* Shipping

I am planning on at least bringing all of my clothes. Which as a LOT. And I am thinking of shipping this + some stuff, like kitchen ware, some house items etc and possibly some electronics. Any ideas what sort of shipping is better? Container or mail? Sea or Air?

How much would something like that cost?

Also have a question about getting my license in the US.

I dont have a drivers license, and I want to get one, as getting around in Dallas, TX without one is very hard. When can I get one how fast? What do I need to get one?

Hoping for some input from people who have been through the same. :)

129f sent May 29th 2010

NOA1 date June 2nd 2010

NOA2 date June 24th 2010 (!!!)

NVC June 29th 2010

Embassy July 1st 2010

Packet 3 July 3rd 2010

Packet 3 returned and interview scheduled July 7th 2010

Medical July 12th 2010

Interview July 28th 2010 - APPROVED

Moved August 7th

Married October 23rd

-

AOS + EAD + AP sent 24th of February

EAD + AP approved April 21st, card received May 5th

AOS approved May 2nd, card received May 7th

NO INTERVIEW!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I don't know about everything you asked, but I wouldn't bother with the TV. Norway uses a completely different broadcast standard than the US and it most likely won't receive anything, irrespective of the voltage. The computer most likely can be switched between 120/230V with a switch on the back so if it's fairly new, it may be worth bringing.

And, I'm not in Texas but here's a link to the Texas Dept of Public Safety driver's license requirements.

http://www.txdps.sta.../driverlicense/

Best of luck on your big move!

Edited by ryna

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Your xbox-- u.s. games will be incompatible with your system (due to region coding, just like on dvds), so you shuold decide if it's worth bringing based on that.

As for shipping, it will vary by country on what is cheapest. Also consider paying extra bag fees to bring sensitive items on the plane with you. We had my husband's parents each bring a bag when they came for our wedding, since it was free that way. He got rid of most of his household items and his computer, because it was more expensive than we wanted to spend to ship it here. Consider that many things are significantly cheaper to buy in the U.S. than Europe, so replacing some of your things may be less expensive than the shipping cost...

K-1 Timeline

05/14/08 Engaged on my last day while visiting Bremen

07/03 Mailed 129f package

07/24 NOA1

12/05 NOA2

12/27 Packet 3 received

01/19/09 Medical in Hamburg

03/24 Successful interview at Frankfurt

03/31 Visa received

07/09 POE Salt Lake City

AOS/EAD/AP Timeline

08/22/09 Mailed package

08/28 NOA1

10/28 Biometrics completed; EAD card production ordered

11/07 EAD arrived

12/14 Successful AOS interview in Seattle

12/28/09 Greencard arrived

Timeline

Thank you for your replies!

I was not aware that a Norwegian TV wouldn't be usable in the US, I guess that makes that a easy decision, to leave my TV / sell it. Maybe my parents want it. :)

As for my xbox, I'm aware of the regional restrictions, but since I have so many games that are PAL, I figured I'd bring my system to play these games, and also buy a new xbox (slim :o ) to play new NTSC games.

Would this be possible? Connecting my xbox to a US tv etc?

And would it be safe to play like this, with an adapter, over a significant amount of time?

I also want to bring some smaller electronics, like hair dryer and such. Safe?

129f sent May 29th 2010

NOA1 date June 2nd 2010

NVC June 29th 2010

Embassy July 1st 2010

Packet 3 July 3rd 2010

Medical July 12th 2010

Moved August 7th

Married October 23rd

-

NO INTERVIEW!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

The problem is the Xbox you have generates PAL signals and the TV you have accepts PAL signals. Everything in the US is (or was) NTSC. Unless the Xbox can change the format of its output signal, you can't use it with a US TV. Actually, here in the US, you can't even use an NTSC TV to receive broadcasts over the air anymore without an ATSC-to-NTSC converter. Everything here changed with the switch to digital transmission last year. (NTSC TVs still work with cable, satellite, games, etc. IF those devices can generate NTSC signals.)

Look through the setup menu for something similar to Video Output or Video Signal and see if NTSC/PAL is a choice. If it can be selected, you can use it with a US TV. (I don't know. I don't have an Xbox.)

As for the smaller electronics - sure, it's safe with the converter. I don't know if it's worth the hassle. You can probably by 120V versions for close to the same amount you'd save by not shipping them.

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

[quote name='Tunaa' date='30 June 2010 - 03:30 AM' timestamp='1277890253' post='4036388'

I also want to bring some smaller electronics, like hair dryer and such. Safe?

No hair dryer. The adaptor usually fries it! I guess it has problems with the voltage. A new one is like 11 dollars at Target:) I find that all those things were worth replacing as they are pretty cheam here (same with hair straightener- which doesn't fry I have one from Italy but they are cheap here, just like electric toothbrush and such).

As for shipping, i shipped a couple of boxes, my mom just shipped me another one, and i moved some things on previous trips before I moved. Especially clothes and shoes!!!! Also, when I moved I came with 2 friends and each brought a bag for me. Consider that if you travel with 4 peices of luggage, it's gonna be around 400 euros probably, but shipping might be just as expensive and I thing travelling with your stuff is safer and faster!

I left behing some household stuff, my mom gave me some kitchen rugs she liked and that was it. Maybe an apron! Buy stuff here, it's pretty cheap. Also small appliances, because of the voltage issue.

I don't think the XBOX would fry with the adaptor, but playing it on the tv MIGHT be a problem. Not an expert here infortunately. I was pissed to leave my DVDs behind, and all my precious books which were too heavy to carry. I plan on bringing some over little by little each time I visit/someone visits me! Good luck!

event.png

AOS Journey

Marriage: 2010-03-06

Date Filed: 2010-03-23

NOA: 2010-04-02 (via texts and emails)+check cashed

NOA1 in the mail: 2010-04-07

Bio Appointment letter: 04/29 (FINALLY!!!!)

Bio Appointment: scheduled 05/24, walk-in on 05/03, yay!

**Touch on AOS and EAD: 05/03 and 05/04

Interview notice: 05/14, dated 05/11. It's for 06/17

EAD and AP approved: 06/03

**Touch on EAD and AP: 06/04

**Touch on AP: 06/07

**Touch on EAD and 2nd card production ordered: 06/08

**Touch on EAD: 06/09

AP received: 06/09

**Touch on EAD: 06/11. 3rd approval email received!

EAD received: 06/11 step 2 of 3 completed!

Interview scheduled: 06/17 @ 915 am APPROVED and card production ordered same day!!!!

Welcome letter received:06/21

2nd email Green Card production ordered:06/22

**Touch on AOS:06/23

3rd email received, blue dot went to post decision: 06/30

Tik tok tik tok....GREEN CARD IN HAND: 07/02!!!!!Less than a year since filing for the k1!

K1 Journey

I-129F Sent: 2009-08-12

I-129F NOA1: 2009-08-14

I-129F NOA2: 2009-10-29

Packet 3 Received: 2009-11-17

Interview: 2010-02-16, approved, visa the same day!

POE: 2010-03-03 @ LAX

Timeline

Thanks for that! I think I will just buy electroncis there. Sad to leave everything behind though. :(

My family is coming over for our wedding, so I am thinking about asking them to bring me an extra bag each. That is probably the best way, it sounds like. Need to save as much money as possible.

129f sent May 29th 2010

NOA1 date June 2nd 2010

NVC June 29th 2010

Embassy July 1st 2010

Packet 3 July 3rd 2010

Medical July 12th 2010

Moved August 7th

Married October 23rd

-

NO INTERVIEW!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi, yea as everyone mentioned don’t bring the electronics they cannot be used. If you have electronics which work from 110-230v then that could be used with just the pin adapters.

You might want to check even your hair dryer might have 110-230v if that’s the case then you can use it in US.

Texas driver’s licenses is not difficult, all you will have to do is a theory test which will get you a temp learning permit and wait for I think 30 days and then take the final test with state trooper and that’s it.

Yea if you are moving to Dallas, I feel car is a necessary 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

excess baggage fees are crazy now - for instance delta

first bag free

second bag 50 dollars

third bag 150 dollars

all addition bags 200 dollars each and the weight is 50lbs and size is standard suitcase

I used US postal service (post office) to send a computer USA to England recently and it was 120 dollars - much cheaper

I use a Philip's DVD player which plays US or European DVDs (bought in USA from amazon) . There is a secret code you enter that lets it do this as all the media companies try and stop it.

You will be visiting home so bring your stuff a bit at a time in the second bag - thats the cheapest way. I have been here 2.5 years and only just got my photo albums over

I haven't found any courier companies that can beat the post office parcel rates

Sea shipping is for whole households really - pallets - costs thousands

Edited by saywhat

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi,

Check the airlines fees for international flights with domestic connection. We fly Delta using there ticketing, but they use a commuter airlines for the domestic part to get to LAX where we have our international flights. Because it is ticketed in connection with an international flight Delta allows us to bring 2 50lb bags, one carry-on (size limit, not weight) and a "personal bag (laptop bag or backpack or purse.)

When my husband, son & I fly over next, we will take each take empty suitcases and pack light for our vacation. Then on the way back to the US carefully pack our six allowed check bags so none are over 50lbs, load each of our wheeled carry-ons with his heaviest items and most valueable and can each have another personal bag filled with stuff.

He has found it much cheaper to replace most items here than it was to ship them over. When your wedding guests come, have them book through to their final destination with their international flight. If they book into say NYC and then transfer to another flight they booked seperatly, then the bags will be subject to that airlines fees which can be quite high.

07/04/08 Met each other at a friends party & began dating

12/05/09 trip to Australia

01/29/10 Last entry on B2 - I-94 into US

05/15/10 Get married - wohooo

06/28/10 Submit package via Fed-Ex to Chicago Lockbox includingI-130,I-485 (w/I 683 & I 864) I-131, I-765 & F-1145

06/30/10 Package signed for at 11:58am

07/07/10 Received 7 texts & emails for NOAs

07/08/10 Check cashed for I-485

07/09/10 Check cashed for I-130

07/12/10 Received hardcopy NOA's for I-130, I-485, I-131 & I-765

07/23/10 Touched I-130, I-131, I-765

07/30/10 Visit Congressman's office to ask for help expedating EAD

08/10/10 Service Request through uscis for biometrics sent (told to wait 30 days)

08/14/10 Received Biometrics Appt for Sept 7

08/17/10 Failed walk-in Biometrics at Chula Vista. Very busy, advised to try San Marcos office

08/17/10 Successful walk-in Biometrics at San Marcos Office

08/17/10 First touch ever on I-485 and EAD touched

08/24/10 Touched and e-mail EAD and AP approved

08/31/10 AP arrived

09/03/10 EAD and Interview letter (10/09) arrived

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.